PDA

View Full Version : Using Souls as Power D&D

LordOfCain
2015-09-16, 03:49 PM
I'm just looking for any balanced supplement that allows you to turn souls in XP, material components, additional powers, etc.

Aleolus
2015-09-16, 03:51 PM
It doesn't allow you to convert souls into anything, but Incarnum users shape and work with soul energy

Nifft
2015-09-16, 03:51 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness contains some ideas.

If those don't fit your view of "balanced", tell us which direction you'd like the balance to go. Stronger? Weaker? Eeeeeeevil-er?

Deadline
2015-09-16, 03:52 PM
I'm just looking for any balanced supplement that allows you to turn souls in XP, material components, additional powers, etc.

Pretty certain the only books that cover this are the Book of Vile Darkness, and possibly the Fiendish Codexes.

LordOfCain
2015-09-16, 07:54 PM
Thank you so far for your help. This is for an character using souls to fuel his rise to power concept.

RedMage125
2015-09-16, 11:05 PM
I personally find the Souls As Power option in the BoVD to be a little underpowered for the user of said souls. As an addendum, you may want to figure in some kind of formula for improving the effectiveness (HD/level x 10/100XP, for example). or if you want some truly Vile works, add in multipliers for particularly blasphemous acts that utilize souls. For example, the soul of a virgin priestess of a Good deity might go for extra beyond her level times whatever XP, simply because the dark powers are so pleased with the destruction of said soul.

Vaz
2015-09-17, 04:10 AM
There... Honestly aren't many. The Fiend Folios lack the rules to use them as power IIRC, while other souls caught are quite weak. While the soul of a commoner might be comparatively nothing, to evem cast a 100XP spell you need to sacrifice about 35 people.

There is a sacrifice check in BoVD which allows you to get things like Dark Craft XP and gold., and other similar buffs like all day durations of low level spells etc.

You can come up with your own equivalent rewards as fitting. One of my characters I made for the iron chef made a use of this ability to bargain for power. He was a shapechanging infiltrator who made use of disguises to get him in places and forgery to get in places and was a follower of a god who granted those powers. But, like any good disguise it is worth having something to back it up; and so using the DC for a casting of a 4th level spell effect like Divine power, I instead recreated the ability to get an XP free Psychic Reformation and before I got at will alter self, I used the sacrifice ability to recreate that.

Rather than actually commiting a sacrifice of a living body, you could sacrifice a captured soul (in say a Thinaun weapon)