PDA

View Full Version : Servants in the Shadow IC

emeraldstreak
2015-09-16, 03:51 PM
CHAPTER I

http://orig04.deviantart.net/29a1/f/2013/272/3/1/necropolis_by_dominuself-d6oi0j0.jpg

emeraldstreak
2015-09-16, 03:53 PM
The lacquer is so new, fresh, unmarred by entropy: and appropriately black. The entire Inauspicious Citadel is a masterpiece of black and bone.

The six of you wait sitted at a grand table. A single empty crystal chalice is before each of you. A clock counts the seconds in perfect unison with the Calendar of Setesh, which is visible through one of the high windows.

"Tic." A figure is resting comfortably in the master chair. Somehow, you are not certain if it just appeared, or was here all along unnoticed. It is dressed in a hooded robe so black it makes the lacquered table seem light gray. The figure is decidedly normal-sized, no steel spikes, giant armors, dangling skulls; not even a daiklave. There is a cat, though. Perfect, slender, and...black. Except the yellow eyes that watch you. The cat stays comfortably in the figure's lap.

"Toc." Sparkling red blood fills the chalices now. Your host toasts silently. As far as you can see, there is only darkness beneath the hood, but a darkness that drinks the blood.

"Let me tell you a parable. A woman had a painting - a beautiful one - as a memory of her father. One day, thieves stole the painting. The woman was devastated. She couldn't get over the theft. Eventually, news got to her that the painting was in the possession of a local lord, a deranged drug addict."

"She had no choice: she had to rely on thieves herself. Many offered service, but it was difficult to steal from the lord. One thief came up with a plan to cut the painting in small pieces and smuggle it out. Another came up with a plan to dose it with bleach, and openly carry the remnants out; only to be outdone by third who would set it on fire and catch the smoke by the chimney. But the woman was not satisfied. The thieves were not happy, they couldn't understand what her problem is. Finally, the very last thief to arrive promised her to get her the painting as glorious as she remembered it."

"Do you understand me?"

Pertenetator
2015-09-16, 05:08 PM
Swamps of Sorrows Sojourner was far the youngest of this gathering of seven, she was barely over 5 feet tall. Another gift of the Dowager. Yes she seemed well armed, he fine black dress hid a glinting chainmail, and the powerbow in her back told otherwise. If one connected the material those two things were made of, with her pitch black dress and pale skin, one would quickly see she was a Deathknight.
"So my lord " the young girl said softly, sipping her wine "You aim to steal creation under the nose of the gods and give it to our masters ? Or to preserve it in an eternal beauty of un-life ?"

Exthalion
2015-09-16, 05:20 PM
The Keeper spoke next, in a raspy whisper. He was garbed in like fashion to his master, save in leather of ashy grey and a white veil was before his face.

"All vessels are empty, save for what we put in them.

The quality of memory is in that which it stands in relation to.

To have what was lost you must go to it."

Lord-Leafar
2015-09-17, 04:12 AM
Unfettered Ghost sat quietly, other than the subtle glance given to his master and fellow Death knights, he barely move. His radiant yellow eyes rested behind an ivory white mask in the shape of a snarling demonic spirit. His skin, as pale as the mask itself, showed for a multitude of dark blue veins pumping blood as dark as the night sky itself. His robes were of different shades of black and crimson red, his soulsteel armor devoid of any spectral faces, leaving the metal in complete darkness. Both of his hands were placed on the table in front of him, one on top of another, his posture at ease.

Pondering the meaning of his Master's words and listening to each of the other Exalts as they spoke, Ghost remained in silence, he would eventually speak or reply to someone's question or comment, but for now he thought best to listen first.

Kobold-Bard
2015-09-17, 12:05 PM
Searing Memory Of Life Beyond Despair

Mnimi sat reclined with his foot on his knee, shirtless but wearing the jet black breastplate given to him by The Infinite Wails Of Widows. His breeches are inlaid with gold and ruby thread depicting various sigils of sorcerous and necromantic significance. His powerbow glints in nonexistent sunlight and rests at the side of his chair.

The air surrounding him is lighter than the rest of the room, a faint breeze with the scent of lavender blows past him as an uncomfortable looking ghost shifts from foot to foot, clearly eager to move away but bound by fear of the collective powers at the table.

"Is it not a sin against your masters for a deathknight to speak of preserving Creation, even as an embalmed showpiece? He gives girl a slight smirk, he has made no secret of his desire for Creation's ultimate survival. Though it would look quite striking on Your Eminence's wall, stained with godly blood."

---
Chaos-Repelling Pattern is active. Unless stated or we're in a position where essence needs to be tracked, it will usually by up to protect against the passive side effects of being alive in the Underworld.

Starmage21
2015-09-17, 01:35 PM
Frivolous Bloody Death

He sits amongst the rest, dressed literally in rags. His hair unshorn and whats left of his face unshaven. His skin stretched over his bones with no muscle or fat in sight: surely the skeleton of a man that could not possibly be living, yet he is here; a picture of walking death. And he carries with him a black blade too heavy for any mortal to wield, and too long and wide to be functional in any case, yet the faces upon it move and moan torturedly in silence, and all in the room know it to be a work of magic, too common among the Exalted: a grand daiklave of soulsteel and iron.

"Your words are artful, and that is clearly what we do not need, for artful words are for teachers, and poets. And we aim to march to war, not necessarily to battle, but definitely to war. I believe this is a case where you can get to the point, rather than playing with words."

Kobold-Bard
2015-09-17, 02:20 PM

"No doubt the sort of bloody-minded zeal that led to you becoming the man that you are today", Mnimi looking over his colleague's wretched corpse-like body, carefully trying to avoid an outright insult to someone who could fell him in a single strike of that massive blade.

He lifted his chalice and sniffed politely. He had surrendered his name in the Abysal fashion, but had not yet developed the taste for blood that he was assured would come with long-term residence in the Shade.

emeraldstreak
2015-09-17, 03:37 PM
"Creation will perish in one fell swoop, the greatest and the last of all fell swoops. But first, we ought to preserve Creation worthy enough, so that its death can serve its purpose."

"For this goal, you are to leave Stygia, and go to the city of Gem. It is in my interest to lend a hand to its embattled despot."

"Many have forseen Gem's doom. Prove them wrong."

emeraldstreak
2015-09-18, 01:53 AM
With no one with anything to add, you go on to prepare for your journey south.

You are in Stygia, a foreboding necropolis that is home to the towering clockworks of the Calendar of Setesh, the Dual Monarchy, the 14 Deathlord Citadels, and the Mouth of Oblivion. Countless generations of ghosts dwell in the city, swelling its size to many times over any metropolis in Living Creation. One could walk for days and not exit Stygia.

To the east, the River Styx spawns from many smaller tributaries, and runs to the Inner Sea as a dark shadow of the Imperial River. It is considered the safest route out of Stygia.

To the south, roads in disrepair wind and twist through the countryside. Influenced by the Labyrinth beneath, their turns don't quite follow geometry, nor sanity...

Failed Phantasm
2015-09-18, 11:03 PM
Daelan carefully pushed open the double doors — wincing at the unavoidable creaking they made — to the modest apartment he’d been granted use of by whatever authority in Stygia had the power to do so, and, after sidling carefully inside, quietly shut the doors behind him with a sigh. He still wasn’t entirely sure whether this assignment was meant to be praise or punishment, nor who was responsible for his being here (hopefully Oramus), and certainly he had no clear idea what function he was meant to fulfill now that he was here. “Ambassador of Hell” indeed! Oh, how receiving the Second Breath had complicated things for him in Malfeas. But diplomatic standing had its advantages: the rooms had a breathtaking view of the mournfully drab expanse of what was the Grand Necropolis of the Underworld. That it was deathly quiet went without saying; he hadn’t noticed, but he’d been humming to himself and drumming a quiet rhythm with his fingers against the skirt of his armor the entire walk from the Deathlord’s chambers to his own and had yet to stop.

As he stepped into the main room and started removing his thick gray surcoat, he thought to himself, ‘I wonder why my presence was requested for that meeting. To meet the people I’ll be working with?’ It had been unspeakably awkward, sitting there and saying nothing, politely pretending to take the occasional delicate sip from the blood-filled chalice, but it seemed as if the Deathlord had been addressing his deathknights only and wanted no comment from the outsider. Yet, “don’t speak unless spoken to” had served him in good stead with the Yozis’ Second and Third Circle souls, and he saw no reason not do the same with the favored of the Neverborn (a dubious appellation, if ever there was one). ‘If that dreadful ghost cat pretending to be a man wanted to order me around, he could have done so by messenger. I’m in no position to refuse.’ Laying the coat on the back of the velvet-lined couch that had been provided for him, Daelan undid the tie holding his ponytail together and ran his fingers through his thick, brown hair until it was comfortably messy once more. ‘Time to ponder it on the road, I suppose. Now, what will I need for the journey to Gem?’

Since he was already wearing his armor, he moved into his bedchamber and set his rucksack at the foot his bed, removing his gloves and throwing them in, before turning and going to the washbasin. He carefully measured out a handful of water — it probably didn’t need to be imported from Creation down here, but old habits and so forth — and splashed his face with it, meeting his own gaze as he looked into the mirror on the wall in front of him. Emerald eyes, emerald-colored clothes, an emerald set in the gorget he was wearing; he hoped green was fashionable in Gem right now. But there was something… different, somehow, about his reflection, an unfamiliar il ne sait quoi to the look in his eyes. Without thinking, he reached up and touched the center of his forehead with his hand. He’d made no showy displays since his arrival, but he was frequently in the presence of some very ancient and very powerful ghosts. Dropping his head, he breathed a heavy sigh and went back out into the main room.

Finding the frayed, knotted rope tucked into an alcove in the entryway, Daelan gave it a solid pull and it answered with a languid *clang* — supposedly, he'd just summoned one of the ghostly attendants roaming about. He was accustomed to twisting passageways that defied mortal logic, and living in a city that endlessly rearranged itself at the whim of its masters, but he knew Malfeas, whereas he barely remembered the route by which he’d arrived in Stygia. If he was to leave for Gem, who better to ask for directions than a local? Returning to the (un-)living room, he removed from the table the flute he’d requested earlier and began to play a simple tune while he waited.

Condition
Essence 43 / 60, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 10 / 10

➜ Personal: 16 / 16
➜ Peripheral: 27 + (7) / 34
➜ Overdrive: 0 / 10

No active effects presently.

Kobold-Bard
2015-09-20, 04:54 AM

Gem. It's blazing Southern sunlight about as far from his current surrounds as it was possible to be, and yet simultaneously similar to Stygia; the barren lands, scorching heat and crushing tyranny weaving death and despair into every crevice and pore.

"As you wish Eminence." Bowing as he stands and leaves, he snaps his finger and the distressed ghost follows meekly behind. Once outside the meeting hall he sends it away with the warning "You will have my scroll for me upon my return, or I'll toss you into the pit to be shredded into undead confetti", and it ran off as quick as it's dead legs could carry it.

Mnimi had few preparations to make, the lesser spectres in service of his liege feared the Holy light he carried far too much to keep him waiting, and once in Creation he could congeal the elements to satisfy any needs he encountered. One stop he did make was to his chambers to change clothes, taking on finely crafted but less overtly heretical decorated trousers, and a loose flowing shirt of midnight blue - the shirt was just good sense in the south, the trousers because he intended to suggest passing into Creation early and travelling through the Blessed Isle instead of navigating the lunacy of Stygia.

Collecting his travel pack and a carefully concealable bag of silver and cash from the vaults of the Deathlord instructing them, he made his way to the lobby to debate their options with his deathly colleagues who would no doubt prefer avoiding Creation for as long as possible.

"A pleasant melody, though I expected the music of Hell to be far more chaotic."

Pertenetator
2015-09-21, 01:39 AM
Sojourner was quite surprised their new master did not ordered anything more specific than their current mission. It was a pleasant break from Dowager, a massive control freak in more ways than one. They were given a small accommodation in the upper parts of Stygia, near the Deathlord's fortress. Thankfully, she was given full access to the accommodations of Stygia, and it's massive library. The ghosts did not paid her too much attentions , save for a few annoying ones that desperately wanted her to offer a "few good words" about one of their descendants being a viable petitioner for a Black Exaltation , offering many gifts and services. She ignored them, not all the gold in the world could make her suggest a candidate she could not personally judge for his capabilities serving Oblivion.

Finding the library , she quickly began her search . She never passed through the Underworld's Inner sea, and it would be wise to know what dangers lurked into such dark waters. In addition, rummaged through parched maps to see if there were any Outposts of the Timeless order around. Her mistress had mentioned they had a lot of influence in the underworld, they were probably their best chance to find a ship

Int+Lore, Second Lore Excellency for 6 motes [roll0]

emeraldstreak
2015-09-21, 04:13 AM
Sojourner was quite surprised their new master did not ordered anything more specific than their current mission. It was a pleasant break from Dowager, a massive control freak in more ways than one. They were given a small accommodation in the upper parts of Stygia, near the Deathlord's fortress. Thankfully, she was given full access to the accommodations of Stygia, and it's massive library. The ghosts did not paid her too much attentions , save for a few annoying ones that desperately wanted her to offer a "few good words" about one of their descendants being a viable petitioner for a Black Exaltation , offering many gifts and services. She ignored them, not all the gold in the world could make her suggest a candidate she could not personally judge for his capabilities serving Oblivion.

Finding the library , she quickly began her search . She never passed through the Underworld's Inner sea, and it would be wise to know what dangers lurked into such dark waters. In addition, rummaged through parched maps to see if there were any Outposts of the Timeless order around. Her mistress had mentioned they had a lot of influence in the underworld, they were probably their best chance to find a ship

Int+Lore, Second Lore Excellency for 6 motes [roll0]

You need to have at least 1 dot in Ability to get the free Excellencies. Canceling the four rightmost dice, you still get 3 successes, good enough.

There's a nearby port facility of the Timeless Order. Crossing the sea is dangerous: storms, mortwights, terrible undersea horrors routinely destroy ships. Still, the denizens of the Underworld sail a lot: the sky is considered even more dangerous, and going underneath - if possible at all - will be delving into the most dangerous regions of the Labyrinth.

emeraldstreak
2015-09-21, 04:18 AM
Daelan

The ghostly retainer summoned by Daelan, a servile creature, replies that the ships of the Timeless Order sailing east on the river Styx, and then throughout the Underworld's Inner Sea, are the most often used means of travel. Unless you intend to fly, you'll have to sail sooner or later from Stygia's Isle, so you may as well head to the nearest port.

Starmage21
2015-09-21, 03:01 PM
Frivolous Bloody Death

"There will be no enemies of Gem left to threaten it, when my work is done."

FBD chugs the blood that appeared in the chalice, downing it with an almost manner-less attitude, though he spills nary a drop. He wipes his face with a dinner cloth when finished, throwing it upon the table as if to declare himself 'finished'.

"I suppose one of you lot will know how to get us there. I'm ready to go now or at a moment's notice. There aint a whole lot I need to carry on my business."

Failed Phantasm
2015-09-22, 04:34 PM
Daelan thanked the ghost for the information and then dismissed it to return to its duties, so he could continue what little packing he had left. 'That isn't much to go on that the deathknights couldn't easily find out for themselves. I don't want to seem useless, but it's probably best to leave most of the arrangements to them,' he thought as he folded a gently-frayed, light brown tunic appropriate for a Threshold peasant into his bag. 'It won't be a short voyage.' He looked up for a moment and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'But Gem is in the desert. There's got to be somewhere up there where the boundary is weak and the sands run silver.' He tossed in a a pair of sandals on top of the small bundle of his belongings, borrowed or otherwise, and tied the entire thing shut. He reached up to rub the back of his neck, only for his fingers to meet the brass of his gorget, warm from having been worn for so long; he played with the buckles for a moment, opening and closing them, but ultimately sighed and left them fastened. With one quick motion, he slung his bag over his shoulder and started back for the meeting chamber, stopping only to retrieve his flute.

He couldn't tell how long his return trip had taken, having only the songs he was playing to give him a frame of reference — not that irregular passage of time had ever bothered him — but soon he was once again seated in one of the lacquered, high-backed chairs with which the Deathlord had furnished the room. Daelan slid down into one with its back facing the entryway and, still committed to not speaking unless spoken to, started into a rollicking little ditty that'd been stuck, perhaps defiantly, in his head since arriving. He had only managed to get about a quarter of the way through before he heard someone enter and say, "A pleasant melody, though I expected the music of Hell to be far more chaotic."

Without turning to face the speaker, Daelan lowered the instrument and replied, "You've not heard the music of the angyalkae, I take it." He began to raise the flute to his lips again, but abruptly stopped and rubbed his forehead; then, as much to himself as anyone, he added, "But then again, maybe you have." He improvised a few measures to finish the otherwise unfinished tune and then lay the flute on the table before him. "On the subject of Hell, however," he said, "perhaps we might consider traveling by way of Malfeas if the opportunity should present itself. It would take but a few days to cross Cecelyne."

CONDITION

➜ Personal 16 / 16
➜ Peripheral 27 + (7) / 34
➜ Overdrive 0 / 10

Kobold-Bard
2015-09-23, 12:41 PM

"To the best of my knowledge I have not, perhaps you can conjure one to perform for us on our travels."

Mnimi listens to the suggestion politely, this one was a suntouched like himself and could prove an important tiebreaker against the deathknights.

"Whilst I agree with the sentiment of travelling on roads not laden with the ash of the Underworld, passage through Hell poses just as many geographical issues as Stygia; in that it has no set geography at all. And from what I know, finding a way in and out and those ways being conveniently where we need them to be is not at all in the nature of the Archdukes of Hell.

Surely passage through Creation offers the most stable and ultimately swiftest route. With the Realm stretched thin as it is, passage should be little issue."

Failed Phantasm
2015-09-24, 12:19 AM
Daelan clenched his jaw through the speaker’s response, fighting back the urge to start on a very indignant retort. He had to settle for leaning back in his chair, closing his eyes, and trying to otherwise force a calm expression. ‘Take a deep breath, Daelan,’ he thought; ‘He can’t be trying to deliberately provoke you by suggesting you degrade an angyalka by enslaving it for nothing more than your own amusement. He’s just an ignorant Creation-born.’ He tilted his head slightly to one side as the other man spoke briefly on the topic of Hell. ‘And he can’t he can’t honestly be trying to educate you, A HELLSPAWN WHO’S LIVED IN MALFEAS YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, on the nature of Malfeas and the Yozis. The insultingly simplistic explanation must be for the benefit of a deathknight or ghost whose entrance I failed to notice. Yes, that must be it.’ He inhaled and exhaled slowly a few times, as quietly as he could manage, but it was only as he was opening his eyes that he realized his fists were clenched as tightly as his jaw had been — so much so that eight little red crescents had formed in his palms, almost-but-not-quite bleeding.

“So I’ve heard,” he said, in the measured tone of a man considering his words carefully, “but it would be easier to find passage across the Inner Sea in Stygia, would it not? I don’t expect we could take a ship leaving the...” He paused for a moment and then muttered to himself, “What was it called, again?” It was some silly, pretentious, short-sighted name, but that didn't narrow it down much, since the histories he'd read indicated that — in hindsight — Creation-born repeatedly proved themselves to be all three of those things in great abundance. After mulling it over for a moment, it struck him that it would have something to do with the gods and then it clicked: “Ah, yes. I doubt we could book passage on a ship leaving the ‘Blessed Isle’ without incident. Having said that, while I certainly can't pretend to know your plans, I imagine you already have one if you're suggesting we go up there.”

CONDITION

➜ Personal 16 / 16
➜ Overdrive 0 / 10

Pertenetator
2015-09-24, 01:26 AM
"In cease we choose the underworld, i have a course set" a small voice was heard, entering the room. Dues to her small frame and "cute" appearance, Sojourner was mostly unnoticed when she entered or exited a room. Rummaging through her backpack , she pulled out a dusty on map of Stygia and the southern provinces, placing it into the table "As you can see, this is a map of the canal that least to the southern inner sea. In this part" She pointed to a small dot near the canal's delta, a place called "Salt-spit" "There is a port facility of the Timeless Order of Manacle and Coin. It's an independent organization that is quite profitable, mostly from trading slaves and goods around the Underworld and creation. They are not officially allied with the Deathlords, but i believe i have the coin to rent us a ride south, my previous mistress had the kindness to grant me a few of her holdings in Stygia, that have gave me some resources."

"If you would ask for my opinion, i believe through the Underworld is the best possible path. We have little influence or support in Creation above us, mostly because we are right below the Imperial Mountain. Us Deathknights will be unable to respire Essence normally, and we will have to resort into attacking living beings to drain their essence, that will cause both tardations and the Wyld Hunt to be alerted. Though from what i see we have comrades knowing of Malfeas, a place of which i know very little of , save what i have studied. I do not know if we will be able to respire Essence there, but i doubt it . We would still need to feed , and this time the only available victims would not be poor peasants but residents of a city protected by laws"

Starmage21
2015-09-24, 10:35 AM
"If we travel via Creation, it will be necessary for us Death Knights to carry hearthstones and use blood-slaves. Personally, I prefer to feed on the corpses of my enemies, so I have no compunctions with traveling in Creation. Ghosts will work, if we bring them with us as well."
Frivolous Bloody Death responds in a matter of fact tone, as if none of what he says bothers him in the slightest. In fact, he seems to smile a bit when he mentions feeding on his enemies.

Failed Phantasm
2015-09-28, 12:15 AM
“The essence of Malfeas would feel quite alien to a Creation-born,” Daelan replied agreeably, “much less, I imagine, a deathknight. But,” he said, with the hint of a smile, “such is the nature of Hell. However, as it’s not immediately relevant, I’ll not discuss this further unless the situation arises.” He then looked down at the proffered map and the unfamiliar geography, quietly grateful that at least one of them had a coherent plan. He traced the route with his eyes, lingering on the vast expanse of water separating Stygia from whatever ghosts called their reflection of the South, and frowned slightly. Glancing at the map’s legend was little reassurance; this was going to be a long voyage.

‘Father’s going to want to hear about this when it’s done, I can already tell,’ he thought; ‘But at least the sea in the Underworld isn’t made of corrosive acid that would be actively trying to murder all of us. I hope.’ Looking back up at the table, he said, “I have no objections and I’m ready to leave immediately.”

CONDITION

➜ Personal 16 / 16
➜ Overdrive 10 / 10

Kobold-Bard
2015-09-28, 12:22 PM

"We are heading to a city in Creation on the orders of one who's primary purpose is for saving you from final death is that you act within Creation to complete their goals. Perhaps some forethought on how you would function beyond the Underworld would have been prudent."

Knowing he had lost the battle however, Mnimi turned to an alternative.

"That said it seems you have at least thought of the first step, and all we need to pass into Creation is water. I'm happy to reach the sea before we cross if it makes you more comfortable."

Pertenetator
2015-09-28, 12:41 PM
"That is, because most of us have ways to either return to the underworld to respire essence, or can feed on mortals through various means, those either being sousteel eapons, charms or blood drinking. Such solutions are unfitting for the hive of the Wyld Hunt" Sojourner replies, a bit annoyed. Yet the glare of a 14 year old girl is not exactly intimidating, even if she's clad in sousteel.

emeraldstreak
2015-09-28, 06:15 PM
https://hdwallpapers.cat/wallpaper_2560x1440/%D2%93ollow_%D1%82%D0%BDe_%D1%95%D0%BD%CE%B9p_sky_ ships_ocean_water_2560x1440_hd-wallpaper-1774257.jpg

emeraldstreak
2015-09-28, 06:29 PM
And so you depart. The Timeless Order of Manacle and Coin is content to chalk up your expense on your master's bill. The ship you board sails east on the Styx. By the time you reach the Sea of Shadows, the inky river has expanded so widely you can't see its banks. The sky is perennially overcast by gray, black, and occasionally dark purple clouds.

It is nighttime. You rest. The journey will be long and perilous. But you don't anticipate the danger to strike so soon. The shrill screams of the ship's crew alarm you. Ghostly tentacles rise from the inky waters and drag the sailors off-board. A tentacle momentarily bursts into bluish phosphorescence and pierces the hull of the ship, pulling a crewmember out, yet leaving the gravewood undamaged...

ooc: roll Join Battle

emeraldstreak
2015-09-29, 03:12 PM
Daelan is the first to act.
A heartbeat later Frivolous Bloody Death follows.
Another beat later it's Unfettered Ghost of Pain and Retribution.
Then, Swamp of Sorrows Sojourner and the Sea Horror itself...
And three beats later, Keeper of the Black Sun Precepts and Searing Memory of Life Beyond Despair.

The tentacles writhe everywhere, and the inky blackness speads below the starboard...

Failed Phantasm
2015-09-29, 09:52 PM
Daelan practically fell through the doorway of his storage-compartment-turned-cabin and, arms flailing, stumbled forward for a few steps before slamming into the opposing wall, thrown briefly off balance from the combination of the ship’s violent rocking and the weight of his armor. The alarmed shouting of the crew had a certain panicked edge to it — which, granted, he could be imagining or projecting — that probably meant they’d encountered something worse than just rough seas. He could hear the pounding of feet and an unidentifiable chorus of slithering sounds from directly above his head, but he could hardly just ask what the problem was because there was a surprising shortage of sailors scrambling to take shelter belowdecks.

‘Of course,’ he noted as he looked over his shoulder, ‘that might have something to do with the unnatural darkness flooding the hallways down here.’ With a sigh that was halfway between resignation and frustration — ‘It could always be worse, Daelan.’ — he braced himself against the wall and took the measure of the ship’s rocking before pushing off once he found his balance again and dashing for the stairs leading up. He stopped midway and felt his jaw drop ever-so-slightly in disbelief, greeted as he was by the sight of a multitude of tentacles writhing and contorting in the air and along the railings and around the hapless sailors; that one would occasionally ignite with phosphorescent blue fire and pass through solid objects could do little to startle him further.

But he clenched his fists and took a deep breath to steady himself, shifting his weight and crouching down in preparation for a forward charge as he settled into the reassuring opening kata of Rising Sun Form. While the native creatures of the Underworld were not at all his area of expertise, sometimes the libraries of Malfeas contained bizarre or esoteric knowledge; Daelan took a moment to wrack his brain for anything that might be relevant, quietly humming a familiar tune to himself to help trigger recall.

ACTIONS TAKEN

Reflexive — Wits [4] + Survival [0] to identify the tentacle monster: [roll0]

➔ Stunt dice, if applicable (from left to right): [roll1]
Result: Botch ×2. (1, 1)

Simple — Activate Rising Sun Form.

➔ Cost: 5m (one scene)
➔ Speed: 5
➔ Keywords: Form-Type, Obvious

CONDITION
Essence 38 / 60, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 10 / 10

➔ Personal 16 / 16
➔ Peripheral 22 + (12) / 34
➔ Overdrive 0 / 10

ACTIVE EFFECTS

Anima Banner — (4–7 mote level) Daelan’s Caste mark is glowing brightly. Stealth Charms and other such magic fail, and he is at +2 difficulty when attempting to use the Stealth Ability to hide in natural cover.
Rising Sun Form — Daelan adds his [Martial Arts] to his Move, Dash, and Jump speeds; adds +1 to his unarmed accuracy, damage, and defense; can parry lethal and ranged attacks without a stunt; and gains immunity to [Crippling] attacks.

emeraldstreak
2015-09-30, 05:36 AM
Daelan is the first to act.
A heartbeat later Frivolous Bloody Death follows.
Another beat later it's Unfettered Ghost of Pain and Retribution.
Then, Swamp of Sorrows Sojourner and the Sea Horror itself...
And three beats later, Keeper of the Black Sun Precepts and Searing Memory of Life Beyond Despair.

The tentacles writhe everywhere, and the inky blackness speads below the starboard...

Speed:

t1: Frivolous
t2: Ghost
t3: Sojourner. Horror.
t5: Daelan again
t6: Keeper and Memory

let's get the action rolling!

Starmage21
2015-09-30, 02:53 PM
Flurry of a bunch of diceless actions:
Use Simple Charm: Inauspicious Inner Aegis (Combo-OK; 5m+2m, 1wp), Superheavy Plate, with the shield surcharge
Use Reflexive Charm: Spirit Sensing Meditation (Combo-OK; 3m)
Dash to the deck
Ready weapon
Highest Speed: 5
Stunt Below

Frivolus Bloody Death exits his cabin, his daiklave resting on his shoulder as he looks around to take in the tentacled horror attacking the crew.

"You'd think these monsters would have a good healthy fear of Death Knights. I guess I'll remind 'em who's boss around here."

...and he takes off at a sprint towards the stairs up to the deck, his giant diaklave gleaming like it'd been freshly polished and laquered. With his first step, bone-like spikes explode out of his skin all over his body, throwing his dark coagulated blood everywhere in the corridor. From the spikes pours an inky black substance that coats Frivolous' body and does not drip as he runs up the stairs. The dark coagulated blood dissolves somewhat and begins chasing behind Frivolous, and up the stairs as if trying to catch up and return to his body almost as fast as Frivolous can run. As he reaches the top of the stairs, the shadow-ichor hardens on his body in plates that closely fit his form, and the trail of blood that follows leaps from the floor and attaches itself to the base of his neck, forming a cloak that moves about with a mind of it's own. What can be assumed are Frivolous' eyes in this form begin to glow red for but a moment.

He levels his blade, wielding it in both hands
"Lets play"

Pertenetator
2015-09-30, 05:31 PM
Sojourner was lucky in the sense that she was on the deck when the Sea horror attacked . The crashed knocked her down, almost losing the bow to the sea. Her quick reflexed saved her, grasping at the tip of the bow the last moment.

Getting up, she saw the beast's tentacles thrashing about, and her allies rushing to fight it. She took a few breaths to calm herself, putting four arrows as the powerbow, aiming to the beast's tentacles on the right side of the hull, while her mind raced to find any information such as what did they face or what was it's weakness

Ready Weapon
Aim

reflexive Int+ Occult [roll0] 1st excellency for 3 motes

emeraldstreak
2015-09-30, 07:43 PM
Flurry of a bunch of diceless actions:
Use Simple Charm: Inauspicious Inner Aegis (Combo-OK; 5m+2m, 1wp), Superheavy Plate, with the shield surcharge
Use Reflexive Charm: Spirit Sensing Meditation (Combo-OK; 3m)
Dash to the deck
Ready weapon
Highest Speed: 5
Stunt Below

Frivolus Bloody Death exits his cabin, his daiklave resting on his shoulder as he looks around to take in the tentacled horror attacking the crew.

"You'd think these monsters would have a good healthy fear of Death Knights. I guess I'll remind 'em who's boss around here."

...and he takes off at a sprint towards the stairs up to the deck, his giant diaklave gleaming like it'd been freshly polished and laquered. With his first step, bone-like spikes explode out of his skin all over his body, throwing his dark coagulated blood everywhere in the corridor. From the spikes pours an inky black substance that coats Frivolous' body and does not drip as he runs up the stairs. The dark coagulated blood dissolves somewhat and begins chasing behind Frivolous, and up the stairs as if trying to catch up and return to his body almost as fast as Frivolous can run. As he reaches the top of the stairs, the shadow-ichor hardens on his body in plates that closely fit his form, and the trail of blood that follows leaps from the floor and attaches itself to the base of his neck, forming a cloak that moves about with a mind of it's own. What can be assumed are Frivolous' eyes in this form begin to glow red for but a moment.

He levels his blade, wielding it in both hands
"Lets play"

Awarding 2-die stunt, but keep in mind the following:

Simple charms disallow normal flurries. It was OK to activate the reflexive charm as Combo (1wp extra), to walk with your reflexive move you get each tick (Dexterity-armor mobility penalty). Readying weapon is normally a Miscellaneous action and was not compatible with activating the Simple charm. Do you have a way to draw your weapon reflexively? If not, choose one or the other.

emeraldstreak
2015-09-30, 07:47 PM
Sojourner was lucky in the sense that she was on the deck when the Sea horror attacked . The crashed knocked her down, almost losing the bow to the sea. Her quick reflexed saved her, grasping at the tip of the bow the last moment.

Getting up, she saw the beast's tentacles thrashing about, and her allies rushing to fight it. She took a few breaths to calm herself, putting four arrows as the powerbow, aiming to the beast's tentacles on the right side of the hull, while her mind raced to find any information such as what did they face or what was it's weakness

Ready Weapon
Aim

reflexive Int+ Occult [roll0] 1st excellency for 3 motes

That's a Wits roll, but even counting the dice so Sojourner realizes that:

- this creature feeds on ghost essence (as many others in the magic-less, life-less, ocean). It "senses" them, but not you.

- its tentacles can dematerialize in the Underworld, a normally impossible feat that some ghosts have learned to do. There are enough material tentacles to attack.

Lord-Leafar
2015-09-30, 09:56 PM
Unfettered Ghost was lost in meditation in his cabin, his Soulsteel weapon rested to his side as he laid with eyes closed, hearing the murmurs of the ancient dead primordials. Suddenly something disturbed him, the violent rocking of the ship, followed by the screams of agitated crew members forced Ghost to open his eyes and place his consciousness in the situation at hand. With a stoic demeanor, Ghost reached for his weapon and stood up in a swift motion before following the sounds of battle at the deck. As he rushed to meet the current danger, essence flowed freely into his spear, pale black fire coiling around it's edge, with faint silhouettes of ghostly beings dancing inside the steel, forming unsettling shapes that moved in unison with the unholy fire powering the weapon.

Splitting actions, readying weapon and dashing to the deck while activating the reflexive charm: Fluttering Moth Technique (3m Peripheral)
Total Speed 5
Parry DV 6 (Including the -2 from Dash action)

emeraldstreak
2015-10-01, 06:32 PM
The horror is content to continue targeting the crew and pulling the caught ghosts under the inky water...it's Daelan at tick 5

Failed Phantasm
2015-10-02, 04:22 PM
Daelan bit his lower lip and rocked on the balls of his feet for a moment, quickly assessing the impromptu battlefield. Three deathknights were on deck so far and moving into position, but the ghostly sailors weren’t putting up much of a fight themselves. There were tentacles everywhere and they seemed to be able to find prey without needing to see it — ‘How is it doing that? By sound? Essence?’ — but it was hard to tell the placement of the creature’s body relative to the ship; it could be directly underneath them, but perhaps it was off to one side and close enough to the surface that it could see or smell them. ‘I wonder why it hasn’t tried to capsize the ship,’ he thought; ‘An animal of this size and strength should be able to do it easily, and if its only objective is food, then dragging us into the water would—’

He had no time to finish that thought, because there was a sudden sharp scream from behind him, and he instinctively whirled around to face it. One of the tentacles had snared a sailor around his (her? its?) midriff and the poor creature was frantically clawing for purchase on the slick wood of the deck. ‘Right. Save the ghosts first.’ “HOLD STILL!” he bellowed to the sailor over the roar of the ocean and the cries of the other hapless ghosts.

Daelan spun around once more and ran full-tilt towards the main-mast, grabbing at a loose rigging line and using it to help him sprint partway up. Then, as he was just starting to lose momentum, he braced himself against the wood and performed a backflip, feeling the wind rush past him as he hurtled down towards the offending tentacle, drawing his fist back in anticipation of the strike.

ACTIONS TAKEN

Daelan makes an attack (a punch) against the tentacle monster.

➔ Speed: 5/-1

Reflexive (Step 1) — Movement preceding the the attack action.

Attack Roll (Step 3) — Dexterity [5] + Martial Arts [5] + Specialty [3] + Equipment [1] + Charms [1]: [roll0]

➔ Stunt dice, if applicable (from left to right): [roll1]
➔ Compassion channel, if applicable (-1 WP): [roll2]
Result: 6 successes (9, 10 [×2], 7, 7, 7) OR 9 successes if Compassion channel is valid (9, 10 [×2], 7, 7, 7, 8, 10 [×2])

CONDITION
Essence 38 / 60, Health Uninjured (-0), Willpower 9 / 10

➔ Personal 16 / 16
➔ Overdrive 0 / 10

ACTIVE EFFECTS

Anima Banner — (4–7 mote level) Daelan’s Caste mark is glowing brightly. Stealth Charms and other such magic fail, and he is at +2 difficulty when attempting to use the Stealth Ability to hide in natural cover.
Rising Sun Form — Daelan adds his [Martial Arts] to his Move, Dash, and Jump speeds; adds +1 to his unarmed accuracy, damage, and defense; can parry lethal and ranged attacks without a stunt; and is immune to [Crippling] attacks.

emeraldstreak
2015-10-03, 07:43 AM
Daelan

Compassion channel is most valid; 2-die stunt (but note only the best stunt for your action is rewarded with motes/wp at the beginning of your next action). The DV of the monstrosity is 3 (6 threshold successes); its bashing soak is 12 (lethal is 6). Roll for damage.

Lord-Leafar
2015-10-03, 08:56 PM
Unfettered Ghost advanced without stopping, his red eyes focused on the ghostly tentacles and closed the distance to the nearest one, raising his arms he swiftly spun his spear above his head to gain momentum, delivering a vicious curved slash aimed to cut clean the monstrous appendage, as quick as he struck, Ghost was already positioned to defend against a possible retaliation.

One simple attack, no charms involved
PDV 8
WP: 6/6
Personal: 27/27
Peripheral: 26/29

Starmage21
2015-10-05, 09:43 AM
Attack a tentacle!
Daiklave Accuracy: 16 [roll0]
Possible Stunt Dice [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
Savage Shade Style + Corpus-Rending Blow Combo. If Corpus-Rending Blow hurts the beast as a spirit, then God-Slaying Torment is used during Step 9

Frivolous Bloody Death sprints forward, his gleaming black blade held high over his head. The ghostly-faces in the blade twist and contort as if wailing, but no sound can be heard from them. The armor that now covers him adds a deep thudding impact to every step he makes towards the beast, and a resounding crash as he stomps on one of the planks, sending splinters in all directions where the plank was previously secured to the deck with nails. The plank rises up, hitting the tentacle and lifting it off the deck as he simultaneously slams the grand daiklave down on the base of the tentacle, cleaving it cleanly, and burying the tip of the daiklave a full foot into the deck. Then there is a moment of silence, and no sound comes from Frivolous as he pulls the blade from the deck. Nothing but a smile on his face.

emeraldstreak
2015-10-05, 01:15 PM
The horror has felt pain enough. It submerges, but drags a dozen or so crewmembers under the waves, the captain and the navigator among them. The survivors look for your guidance.

Starmage21
2015-10-05, 03:32 PM
Frivolous Bloody Death just shrugs "Hope you lot cross-trained"

emeraldstreak
2015-10-06, 09:09 PM
Your ship is slowly being dragged by the currents...

Lord-Leafar
2015-10-08, 08:47 AM
Ghost makes a swift movement of his weapon, the blood of the monstrous creature falling falling off the edge with the momentum, leaving blade clean of the slime. With a passive look of his surroundings, Ghost finally speaks "All hands on deck, I need a head count of all surviving crew members"

Pertenetator
2015-10-08, 09:04 AM
Sojourner sheathes her bow as the beast withdraws. "It seems our captain and navigator have been lost. First we need to find our way to our destination, and then i will try to find in my books someone to command our ship " . She concetrated her Essence around her, her anima flaring with the icon of a small ebon skeleton crumbling to dust as she spoke in old realm. She made a few gestures as a ball of dark grey light erupted from her hands, forming into a strange snake-like being. It was about 3 foot longs, and seemed to be made of smoke, with small cinders inside glowing eerie. "Lead us to the closest port in the South" she ordered it

Int+ Occult +2nd occult excellency for 2 successes [roll0]

emeraldstreak
2015-10-09, 04:52 AM
The dragon of smoke points at the right direction. Sojourner prepares for the summoning by drawing occult symbols on the deck...

Lord-Leafar
2015-10-10, 09:18 AM
Ghost keeps a vigilant look at the water around them, the beast might have retreated but there could be others, or it could return some time later. He kept his weapon at the ready and took a stand next to Soujorner, looking at the Abyssal perform the necessary rites for her summoning. "Do you require anything else?"

Failed Phantasm
2015-10-10, 03:39 PM
Daelan picked himself up off the deck with a low groan, rolling his right shoulder as he glanced around for signs of the tentacle monster. The ship had stopped rocking quite so much, there was substantially less screaming, and he could neither see nor hear any other signs of it, so he concluded that it was gone. ‘What was that thing?’ he thought; ‘And how much of the crew survived?’ He had no idea how many they’d started with, and there were probably more than a few still cowering belowdecks, but a quick headcount yielded a very discouraging result. Most of the survivors, judging by their clothes, looked like regular sailors. ‘Looks like the captain’s dead or hiding, then,’ he concluded with a sigh and a shake of his head. ‘Dammit.’

The ship lurched slightly and Daelan could feel it start to drift, which made him look up towards the helm: there was no one there. He then glanced around for the deathknights, feeling that the crew would be more inclined to listen to them, but it looked as if they were occupied with something — the girl was bent over drawing something on the deck with who-knows-what, while another was hovering near her — and he decided not to bother them. “You there! One of you get on the helm and keep us steady until she’s done,” he barked at the nearest gaggle of sailors.

CONDITION

➔ Personal 16 / 16
➔ Overdrive 0 / 10

ACTIVE EFFECTS

Rising Sun Form — Daelan adds his [Martial Arts] to his Move, Dash, and Jump speeds; adds +1 to his unarmed accuracy, damage, and defense; can parry lethal and ranged attacks without a stunt; and is immune to [Crippling] attacks.

Pertenetator
2015-10-11, 04:37 AM
"I need time, time and vigilance" The young girl replied, as she finished engraving the occult symbols in the middle of the ship "There is a chance the ghost might resist my summons and break free, then it would have to be put down as soon as possible. In the meantime, wait"

She stood in the middle of the circle, bow at hand in case something went wrong. Her anima flared again as she uttered the incantation, calling the spirit of the ghost of a long-dead pirate captain she had fond on the books she had. Within Life, there Is Death, within Death, there is Oblivion. By the mark in my brow, by the shard in my soul, by the Whispering Ones in their Tombs: Blackened Shark, captain of the Bloodsail Fleet, Scourge of the West, i summon you with the authority of a Deathknight!"

emeraldstreak
2015-10-11, 12:28 PM
"I need time, time and vigilance" The young girl replied, as she finished engraving the occult symbols in the middle of the ship "There is a chance the ghost might resist my summons and break free, then it would have to be put down as soon as possible. In the meantime, wait"

She stood in the middle of the circle, bow at hand in case something went wrong. Her anima flared again as she uttered the incantation, calling the spirit of the ghost of a long-dead pirate captain she had fond on the books she had. Within Life, there Is Death, within Death, there is Oblivion. By the mark in my brow, by the shard in my soul, by the Whispering Ones in their Tombs: Blackened Shark, captain of the Bloodsail Fleet, Scourge of the West, i summon you with the authority of a Deathknight!"

The fearsome Captain appears as a ghostly apparition hovering above the occult symbols. Sojourner senses Blackened Shark's will resisting...

[roll0]; this Willpower+Essence roll can be stunted.

On a sidenote, Necromancy can summon demons, so I will take this as proof of direct paths between Malfeas and the Underworld.

Starmage21
2015-10-12, 08:08 AM
Having been privy to summonings gone bad before, Frivolous Bloody Death stands by, near the summoning circle with daiklave in his hands. His nearly skeletal body is tense, as if ready to leap into action at a moment's notice. He watches the summoning with intent, waiting for his queue to strike, and devour the ghostly form of Blackened Shark through the essence channels in his gleaming black greatsword.

Pertenetator
2015-10-13, 02:47 AM
Sojourner took a few quick breath as she manifested her binding, pitch black shades surrounding Blackened Shark. This was not her first nor her last summoning. The symbols around the circle shimmered as she guided her anima banner rose to even greater height, attempting to overcome the ghost's will through brute force. She had to learn the Five Gifts spell one day, it would make summoning far easier.

[roll0] plus 2-die stunt [roll1] 5 successes

emeraldstreak
2015-10-13, 03:56 AM
Sojourner took a few quick breath as she manifested her binding, pitch black shades surrounding Blackened Shark. This was not her first nor her last summoning. The symbols around the circle shimmered as she guided her anima banner rose to even greater height, attempting to overcome the ghost's will through brute force. She had to learn the Five Gifts spell one day, it would make summoning far easier.

plus 2-die stunt 4 successes

ooc: knocking off the rightmost dice of you normal pool as it is 11 dice only, awarding 2-die stunt. The battle of wills is even so far.

Ghost [roll0]

Pertenetator
2015-10-13, 11:03 AM
You cant sunt an extended action more than once so....
[roll0] channeling wp

emeraldstreak
2015-10-13, 07:43 PM
You cant sunt an extended action more than once so....
[roll0] channeling wp

Sojourner is now clearly having the upper hand, but the duel of wills isn't over yet!

[roll0]

Pertenetator
2015-10-14, 03:48 PM
Sojoruner steels herself, watching everyone in the ship watching her duel of wills with the ghost. Such a being could cause untold harm of set free until her companions put it down, she could not allow that to happen.

[roll0] channeling compassion [roll1]

emeraldstreak
2015-10-14, 08:42 PM
"Very well." says the Captain who is now fully solidified. "You have my services. What is your command?"

Pertenetator
2015-10-15, 03:22 PM
"Blackened Shark, our vessel was attacked by a creature of the Underworld, that took some of our crew and our navigator and captain. I summoned you to use your skills in sailing to guide us to the closest port. The dragon shall point the way. Once this task is done i shall release you.

emeraldstreak
2015-10-25, 11:39 PM
The dragon of fire and smoke leads you south, while your grim captain is successful in running the ship with the surviving ghostly sailors.

It is a gloomy day when, finally, your ship enters a small yet calm harbor. A rocky reach protects it from the sea, and dry rocky hills rise beyond the port's settlement. Blackened Shark speaks. "The closest port in the South, as commanded."

The settlement could be described as a small town of shanty buildings and huts. Few ghosts carry on daily errands.

Pertenetator
2015-10-26, 02:17 PM
The young girl dismisses the ghost, having done it's Duty. It would be unwise to press on her advantage when summoning ghosts. "The way i see it, we need to first find where are we and secondly to either find the closest path to our destination or recruit sailors to cover our losses "

Failed Phantasm
2015-10-28, 07:41 PM
Daelan trudged up the stairs to the deck, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and stretching languidly. ‘Oh, we made it?’ he thought. ‘I thought I was going to go mad from boredom.’ Almost falling out of his hammock as he tried to get up had very nearly been the most exciting thing to happen to him today, followed closely by listening to the sound of the anchor being dropped; the rest of the voyage following the monster attack had been roughly as exciting. He looked up at the zenith of the morose sky and stared at it for a moment, brow furrowed in half-asleep puzzlement, before his eyes widened and he smacked his forehead. ‘I’ve been down here too long to make that kind of mistake,’ he thought, shaking his head as he started walking towards the helm.

At least one of the Abyssals, the strange girl, was here — surely the others were lurking around somewhere? — and he’d just caught her dismissing the ghost captain whose service she’d compelled. He listened to her assessment as he moved to the railing and leaned on it so he could get a better look at the shore. After a moment of scanning the dismal shantytown and noting the scarcity of its incorporeal inhabitants, he looked over his shoulder and said, “That last bit’s not a bad idea, but I think it’s a little optimistic to think we could replace all the crew we lost from a village this size.” Following the coastline with his eyes as it stretched on to the horizon, he added, “But at least we won’t risk getting lost at sea again, eh?”

Closing his eyes and inhaling deeply, Daelan summoned up a bit of the native Malfean essence within him — easily disentangled from the essence of his Exaltation — and flared it through his body. His senses thus opened to the unseen currents in his environment, he exhaled and then inhaled again, feeling for the familiar (yet subtly unpleasant?) “smell” of vitriol and brass and sand that indicated an entrance to Cecelyne.

ACTIONS TAKEN

Gatekeeper — Wits [4] + Occult [5]: [roll0]

➔ Stunt dice, from left to right (if applicable): [roll1]
Result: 3 successes (8, 10 [×2]) OR 5 successes if stunt is valid (8, 10 [×2], 10 [×2]).

CONDITION

➔ Personal 16 / 16
➔ Peripheral 22 + (7) / 34
➔ Overdrive 0 / 10

ACTIVE EFFECTS
None at present.

Starmage21
2015-10-29, 10:05 AM
FBD comes out of his room only after the ship reaches a full stop at the docks. He surfaces and looks out upon the small village, and then beyond. When Daelan speaks, he listens but does not turn his head to face him. He shrugs in response.
"No. We'll get lost on land this time. Fortunately, getting lost on land is much easier to deal with. But I suppose that since we've crossed the sea and are now on the southern land, we can cross over into Creation when necessary, or when we find an appropriate Shadowland. Until then, everyone do what you're good at, and whoever knows which way to go, start walking so the rest of us can follow."