PDA

View Full Version : It's RAINING!

Hbgplayer
2015-09-16, 03:53 PM
IT'S RAINING! Here in Northern California, we're in the middle of a drought of historical proportions, and suffering from some of the worst wildfires on record, and it is finally raining!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

BWR
2015-09-16, 04:16 PM
I'm in South Yorkshire.

You can have some of our rain, really. We don't mind. Take it, please.

And some of ours here in Norway. Local flooding some places. Coldest, possibly wettest year on record (too lazy to dig through too many pages to determine accuracy of this supposition).

2015-09-16, 04:17 PM
Texan here. This past May was the wettest May we've ever had; it rained 9 days out of 10, and it was coming down in sheets. Lot of areas got flooded, and some lower areas got temporarily evacuated IIRC. Then we got three months of Texas summer with no rain at all. I wish the rain had been more spread out. Oh well...

ArcanaFire
2015-09-16, 04:40 PM
I live in a magical place called Ohio where the weather apparently hasn't been informed that seasons exist.

That said, congrats on the rain Cali! ^_^

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-16, 06:00 PM
Congratulations on the rain. May it continue long, but not too long. :smallsmile:

Taet
2015-09-16, 09:29 PM
Right now even too long is just fine with us. :smallbiggrin:

It has not rained much on me. But once the wet air started to go up into the hills it did and that was where the fires are. Smoke may have brought more rain down too.

DataNinja
2015-09-16, 11:38 PM
I'm happy in Victoria, BC (Canada), too. Rain is good. Look at what happened this summer for a few days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0R8rYHIqPE. And yes, it did look like that. No joke.

TechnOkami
2015-09-17, 12:35 AM
I mean it's sorta raining not-really. Maybe all we've had in my neck of the woods is a single drizzle?

Fragenstein
2015-09-17, 07:23 AM
Well... you know what we say when things like this happen.

A Wizard Did It.

And you're welcome.

PallElendro
2015-09-17, 11:30 AM
Praise the Sun. I mean, Rain.
\[+]/

Hbgplayer
2015-09-18, 02:28 AM
I mean it's sorta raining not-really. Maybe all we've had in my neck of the woods is a single drizzle?

Ah, where I am got nearly a half inch. It was glorious.

Ravens_cry
2015-09-18, 04:02 AM
I'm happy in Victoria, BC (Canada), too. Rain is good. Look at what happened this summer for a few days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0R8rYHIqPE. And yes, it did look like that. No joke.
Where I was, it wasn't that bad, though the sun looked like a sodium light and you could stare right at it, the smell of smoke was thick and it was raining ash visibly. With my usual morbid sense of humour, I said to a friend that it reminded me of a certain scene in 'Schindler's List'.

TheThan
2015-09-23, 01:30 PM
Texan here. This past May was the wettest May we've ever had; it rained 9 days out of 10, and it was coming down in sheets. Lot of areas got flooded, and some lower areas got temporarily evacuated IIRC. Then we got three months of Texas summer with no rain at all. I wish the rain had been more spread out. Oh well...

May in Texas is only ten days long?

but yeah the smidgen of rain California got was amazing. I sat outside and enjoyed it. it knocked the smoke and soot out of the air from the fires, improving our air quality significantly, and made it somewhat nice outside.

out here we measure rain in the fractions of an inch. so yeah,

2015-09-25, 02:41 AM
May in Texas is only ten days long?

but yeah the smidgen of rain California got was amazing. I sat outside and enjoyed it. it knocked the smoke and soot out of the air from the fires, improving our air quality significantly, and made it somewhat nice outside.

out here we measure rain in the fractions of an inch. so yeah,

Lol no. It was more a general statistic than a literal list.

EDIT: I realize Texas is weird, but the state government hasn't actually gotten crazy enough to alter the calendar like that...yet.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-25, 09:41 AM
Lol no. It was more a general statistic than a literal list.

EDIT: I realize Texas is weird, but the state government hasn't actually gotten crazy enough to alter the calendar like that...yet.

Sort of an alternate method of saying 90%? :smallsmile:

It's been drizzling with periods of rain here for a couple of days now, and some heavy fog last night. We could use the sun they've been promising repeatedly and not delivering.

Cuthalion
2015-10-01, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that day we got like 30 seconds of really nice rain.

TechnOkami
2015-10-01, 05:43 PM
Yeah, that day we got like 30 seconds of really nice rain.

Oh come now.

It was at least a few minutes long.

:smalltongue:

TheThan
2015-10-01, 05:48 PM
It rained here for about half an hour at about mid-day. It was nice, although it was neither hard or long (innuendos are funny); it was still nice, wish it’d rain more.

Taet
2015-10-01, 10:04 PM
Not much here either. It did spit some rain several times in the day but not enough to wet anything. The air felt wet enough so I hope it dropped more in the mountains when it had to rise and cool.

What we did get was a piece of rainbow hanging in the sky. No loop and no top and no bottom to it. Just a piece going from the top of the clouds to the bottom of the clouds. It was disturbing. :smalleek:

Traab
2015-10-03, 12:17 PM
Its raining here on and off, but thats because im east coast and there is a hurricane moving offshore up the line.

BannedInSchool
2015-10-03, 05:07 PM
They're trying to have a car race outside of Atlanta and the rain's making it difficult. They've got the jet driers out and are digging trenches and piling sandbags, but there are still puddles and streams of water running across the track. Sure, their rain tires are designed to be used at over 100mph, but there's only so much they can do, and nothing makes the "powerboat" spray less blinding. ETA: Oh, and the sun's going down soon. :smallsmile:

2015-10-03, 05:45 PM
They're trying to have a car race outside of Atlanta and the rain's making it difficult. They've got the jet driers out and are digging trenches and piling sandbags, but there are still puddles and streams of water running across the track. Sure, their rain tires are designed to be used at over 100mph, but there's only so much they can do, and nothing makes the "powerboat" spray less blinding. ETA: Oh, and the sun's going down soon. :smallsmile:

However much I may despise the kind of person who enjoys NASCAR and the like, I can't degrade the dedication and skill of the people who perform in it. That's a dangerous sport even under the best of circumstances; it takes a lot of guts to go out and play extreme go-carts when Mother Nature is visiting Aunt Flo.

Lappy9001
2015-10-03, 05:50 PM
Its raining here on and off, but thats because im east coast and there is a hurricane moving offshore up the line.Hurricane Joaquin is doing its best to shove the Carolinas head first in the Atlantic Ocean while yelling out "NEEEEERD!"

Hope Califonia gets some of his rain! (Technically we're in a drought too, but whatever)

2015-10-03, 05:53 PM
Hurricane Joaquin is doing its best to shove the Carolinas head first in the Atlantic Ocean while yelling out "NEEEEERD!"

Damn it, you made me laugh at a natural disaster! Now I'm quite possibly going to some unspecified spiritual bad place after I die, if you believe such places exist either generally or specifically! :smallmad:

BannedInSchool
2015-10-03, 07:03 PM
However much I may despise the kind of person who enjoys NASCAR and the like, I can't degrade the dedication and skill of the people who perform in it. That's a dangerous sport even under the best of circumstances; it takes a lot of guts to go out and play extreme go-carts when Mother Nature is visiting Aunt Flo.
Hey, this was a sports car race like Le Mans. Don't let the fans hear you call it NASCAR. They think NASCAR and its fans are stupid too, and will get all huffy and won't share their wine and cheese with you. :smallwink: And as the sun went down they said, "Screw this. We've run eight of the ten hours and don't need to be hydroplaning down a hill at 120mph in the dark," and called the race. Heh.

TheThan
2015-10-03, 09:12 PM
Hey, this was a sports car race like Le Mans. Don't let the fans hear you call it NASCAR. They think NASCAR and its fans are stupid too, and will get all huffy and won't share their wine and cheese with you. :smallwink: And as the sun went down they said, "Screw this. We've run eight of the ten hours and don't need to be hydroplaning down a hill at 120mph in the dark," and called the race. Heh.

you reminded me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw).

2015-10-03, 11:31 PM

Quitters. I'm not too familiar with the scene, but I've had friends who were, and that sounds exactly like the kind of thing they'd be bragging about once they got out of the hospital from the injuries sustained in the attempt.

BannedInSchool
2015-10-04, 10:38 AM
Quitters. I'm not too familiar with the scene, but I've had friends who were, and that sounds exactly like the kind of thing they'd be bragging about once they got out of the hospital from the injuries sustained in the attempt.
The European tradition is more Lord Fancypants playing racer with his Jaguar and the automobile manufacturers showing off and trying to show up each other. The fans skew more towards thinking Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins, and so forth are "aspirational" cars and the stars of the racing, and they don't think much of rednecks racing in circles in cars they built in a barn. :smallwink:

you reminded me of this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtcbsi8itHw).
Yeah, here's what this track looked like this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XgYlHIH3Lg
(See? It's rainy! I'm on topic.)

(And Hammond is a secret American.)

JNAProductions
2015-10-04, 01:08 PM
IT'S RAINING! Here in Northern California, we're in the middle of a drought of historical proportions, and suffering from some of the worst wildfires on record, and it is finally raining!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

MEN! HALLELUJAH IT'S RAINING MEN!

I had to do it.

TheThan
2015-10-04, 08:32 PM
Yeha, that’s the sort of thing you expect in rally-cross; where you’re driving a 30,000 ish dollar car that’s been supped up, not a 150,000+ dollar car. Subtle difference.

(And Hammond is a secret American.)
He’s got the teeth for it :smallbiggrin:

BannedInSchool
2015-10-05, 08:37 PM
Yeha, that’s the sort of thing you expect in rally-cross; where you’re driving a 30,000 ish dollar car that’s been supped up, not a 150,000+ dollar car. Subtle difference.
The race car versions here are even ~300,000 Euro, and the purpose-built prototypes about twice that. The competitors don't fancy binning them in the race just for funsies, and the fans don't want to see the pretty cars wrecked either. Heck, these fans get rather incensed if two cars touch each other. Well...maybe proud Britons, speaking of Top Gear, wish ill on this Ferrari: :smallwink:
http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/styles/media_gallery_large/public/2015_TUSC_RoadAtlanta_Race_11.jpg
(Yes, that's an Aston Martin with a 007 for its number and more rain content.)

TechnOkami
2015-10-10, 08:23 PM
Apparently, according to my mother, it was drizzling in the bay area today.

I myself wouldn't know since I woke up around 2:00 PM.

Today's only getting better, as I am happily tipsy at Teske's Germania here in San Jose, celebrating Oktoberfest.

DataNinja
2015-10-10, 08:36 PM
Well, where I am, we're now getting hit with the remnants of hurricane Oho. So, every 5 minutes it's been cycling between Rain, hail, sun, and massive winds...

Unuoctium
2015-10-14, 02:12 AM
I went on a road trip with my dad into Cali during this "drought" of yours, the trip lasting about 9 days in your state. It rained every single day. Non-stop rain.

I pity you guys during the wet season

Bulldog Psion
2015-10-14, 01:45 PM
Well, where I am, we're now getting hit with the remnants of hurricane Oho. So, every 5 minutes it's been cycling between Rain, hail, sun, and massive winds...

Wow, a hurricane in Alaska. :smalleek:

DataNinja
2015-10-14, 04:03 PM
Wow, a hurricane in Alaska. :smalleek:

I know Canada may seem all cold and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay north to most people, but let me pull out the ol' map for you :smalltongue::

http://brassandwoodwind.ca/CanadaMap.gif

It's practically Seattle. :smallbiggrin:

Or Port Angeles, Anacortes, the San Juan islands, etc.

TheThan
2015-10-15, 03:02 PM
I went on a road trip with my dad into Cali during this "drought" of yours, the trip lasting about 9 days in your state. It rained every single day. Non-stop rain.

I pity you guys during the wet season

where did you go where it actually rained. BECAUSE WE'RE NOT GETTING IT. Serious people are dying because they can't get water. Wells are drying up, the water table has dropped below half, people are getting fined for having green lawns, farmers are leaving fields fallow because they can't grow without water, hundred year old redwoods have died due to no water to keep them alive. There are towns that have been going without water for months. It's not funny, its not a joke it's very, very serious. Trust me this " so called drought" as you put is as serious as death.

check up on it:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA

https://www.drought.gov/drought/area/ca

http://abc30.com/news/hanford-asking-residents-to-join-in-the-60-gallon-challenge/1030163/

http://abc30.com/news/south-valley-county-taking-steps-to-ease-drought-impact-on-families-/1031992/

It apparently rained a little this morning, but it isn't raining now. the weather channel website said it's supposed to rain. but like i said, we're not seeing it.

Douglas
2015-10-15, 03:28 PM
where did you go where it actually rained. BECAUSE WE'RE NOT GETTING IT. Serious people are dying because they can't get water. Wells are drying up, the water table has dropped below half, people are getting fined for having green lawns, farmers are leaving fields fallow because they can't grow without water, hundred year old redwoods have died due to no water to keep them alive. There are towns that have been going without water for months. It's not funny, its not a joke it's very, very serious. Trust me this " so called drought" as you put is as serious as death.

check up on it:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CA

https://www.drought.gov/drought/area/ca

http://abc30.com/news/hanford-asking-residents-to-join-in-the-60-gallon-challenge/1030163/

http://abc30.com/news/south-valley-county-taking-steps-to-ease-drought-impact-on-families-/1031992/

It apparently rained a little this morning, but it isn't raining now. the weather channel website said it's supposed to rain. but like i said, we're not seeing it.
There was a period of a few weeks a while back where large parts of California got continuously drenched in rain. If his road trip happened to be during that period, rain every single day would not surprise me.

This torrential downpour was extremely unusual for California the last few years, and succeeded in downgrading the drought from the most severe category to the second most severe category.

Bulldog Psion
2015-10-15, 03:38 PM
I know Canada may seem all cold and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay north to most people, but let me pull out the ol' map for you :smalltongue::

It's practically Seattle. :smallbiggrin:

Or Port Angeles, Anacortes, the San Juan islands, etc.

Huh, since I'm currently on the south shore of Lake Superior, you're only a few miles north of my latitude. :smallsmile:

DataNinja
2015-10-15, 03:45 PM
Huh, since I'm currently on the south shore of Lake Superior, you're only a few miles north of my latitude. :smallsmile:

And hundreds of kilometres west. :smallbiggrin:

Cuthalion
2015-11-02, 10:28 AM
Ahhh, it's pouring really hard up here in Eureka at my grandfather's house. Really nice looking up and out of the window, at all that beautiful water.

YossarianLives
2015-11-02, 10:37 AM
I remember that. From where I was the sun had been mostly blotted-out and had turned completely red.

On the topic of current weather, It's been raining here for the past three days and only just stopped.

DataNinja
2015-11-02, 11:21 AM
I remember that. From where I was the sun had been mostly blotted-out and had turned completely red.

On the topic of current weather, It's been raining here for the past three days and only just stopped.

Yeah, same here! Hello from over the pond!

Taet
2015-11-02, 12:12 PM
Finally the first good soaking rain of the year! :smallbiggrin:

In November. Six to eight weeks late. :smalleek:

The moist air came in several times already but it was just too hot to drop its water here.

TheThan
2015-11-02, 12:44 PM
Finally the first good soaking rain of the year! :smallbiggrin:

In November. Six to eight weeks late. :smalleek:

The moist air came in several times already but it was just too hot to drop its water here.

yeah, it's nice. we need the rain to replenish the drying up water tables so it's very welcome. The local weather guesser has been saying rain for several days and it finally got here. We need it to rain like this a couple of times a week for the rest of winter... and spring... and summer... and fall... and winter...

there is a concern though; some areas face flash floods, those fires earlier in the year destroyed alot of ground coverage so there's nothing holding that dirt in place.

TechnOkami
2015-11-02, 01:27 PM
It's raining over here in San Jose, for the record.

TheThan
2015-11-03, 01:58 PM
well it rained all day and night, stopping some time in the morning. Although it looks like it could start back up at any time.

Yesterday the news said it was snowing down to about 5500 feet; which is good (mid-high sierras). We need snow pack to fill the Reservoirs (all of which are dangerously low) just as much as we need the rain in the valley to replenish the water table. I really hope the drought gets broken this winter.

PallElendro
2015-11-03, 02:29 PM
Don't get yours hopes up on that. We'd be lucky if half the drought was relieved for one winter.

TechnOkami
2015-11-09, 02:02 PM
Reporting in from San Jose, California: we have Thunder, Lightning, and Rain.

DataNinja
2015-11-09, 03:23 PM
Reporting in from Victoria, BC, we had 100mm of rain two nights ago. Fun stuff...

TheThan
2015-11-10, 12:48 PM
The rain rolled in about 5 pm yesterday. Was nice; got some thunder and lightning too. Dunno how much rain we got; I haven’t turn on the news but it rained fairly good.

Hbgplayer
2015-11-12, 04:08 AM
So far the best news is that there is actually snow in the Sierras. It may be a thin layer, but it's actually there. :smallsmile:

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-12, 05:47 PM
So far the best news is that there is actually snow in the Sierras. It may be a thin layer, but it's actually there. :smallsmile:

We're going to get 4-6 inches here in Northern Wisconsin overnight, allegedly. I would gladly send it your way if I could and you actually wanted it. :smallbiggrin:

DataNinja
2015-11-12, 06:55 PM
We're supposedly going to get 100mm in Victoria here. So...yeah, 4 inches.

...100mm sounds more impressive. :smallbiggrin:

YossarianLives
2015-11-13, 10:42 AM
We're supposedly going to get 100mm in Victoria here. So...yeah, 4 inches.

...100mm sounds more impressive. :smallbiggrin:
Same for here in Vancouver. We've got a pretty serious rainfall warning going on, we're supposed to get up to 40mm just this morning.

DataNinja
2015-11-13, 01:34 PM
Same for here in Vancouver. We've got a pretty serious rainfall warning going on, we're supposed to get up to 40mm just this morning.

Hi there, from across the river!

Cuthalion
2015-11-13, 08:43 PM
Yeah, we got under a half an inch, but it sure felt nice.

EDIT: It's been raining all night here, good and hard. I love it.

TheThan
2015-11-15, 04:00 PM
It’s been raining solidly all morning here. It stopped about 15-20 minutes ago although I think it’s going to pick back up again.

We’ve gotten more rain the past two months (which isn't much mind you) than we have the past 2 years. Here’s hoping it’ll keep up.

TechnOkami
2015-11-15, 04:53 PM
We’ve gotten more rain the past two months (which isn't much mind you) than we have the past 2 years. Here’s hoping it’ll keep up.

Cheers to that!

It rained really hard last night in my neck of the woods as well.

Cuthalion
2015-11-24, 12:46 PM
Mmm.... :smallsmile:

TechnOkami
2015-11-24, 12:48 PM
It hasn't started yet, but it will be later today in my neck of the woods.

TheThan
2015-11-24, 08:23 PM
It started trying to rain about half an hour ago. it finally decided to start coming down pretty nicely.

man it's good to see so much rain.

SilverStrike
2015-12-11, 10:32 AM
I <3 Rain!

PallElendro
2015-12-11, 07:59 PM
Lightning storms in North Cali. Felt good.

TechnOkami
2015-12-11, 08:16 PM
Lightning? How far north are you? In my neck of the woods we've been getting a good rain, but nothing from Zeus so far...

PallElendro
2015-12-12, 12:06 AM
Lightning? How far north are you? In my neck of the woods we've been getting a good rain, but nothing from Zeus so far...

Bay Area. I take it you were down south?

TechnOkami
2015-12-12, 01:26 AM
Bay Area. I take it you were down south?

On the contrary, I live in the Bay Area (San Jose). Still no lightning as I recall.

Tvtyrant
2015-12-12, 01:33 AM
My beautiful state of Oregon is now in a state of emergency! Sarcastic yay!

In 1996 we had a terrible flood that ruined the bridge down the street from my house. They took 10 years to make a new one, which was taller and stronger. It is now close to going under as well.

PallElendro
2015-12-12, 01:35 AM
On the contrary, I live in the Bay Area (San Jose). Still no lightning as I recall.

Contra Costa, about 02:00 to 03:00. Got blinded in the middle of the night for a few seconds because one lightning flash was close to my house when I was watching.