PDA

View Full Version : Familiar Feats

Jthw
2015-09-16, 04:50 PM
Basic background is this: my DM ruled familiar as having feats equal to its effective HD (aka wizards HD.) I don't care if this is a correct ruling because I'm going to take it.
Now for the big question, what's feats shall it take?
It is a weasel and I am 10th level, I'm away from book at the moment but I believe a basic weasel already has a first level feat so I would love suggestions for 3rd, 6th, and 9th level feats.
We just got through a combat were essentially every one in the party and their families were polymorphed into hydras and killed an army (share spell op.) And that is the extent to which I have used my familiar.
Any suggestions would be helpful. With my DM any splat books are fine and drag mag is as requested so discouraged unless it has a lot of fluff.

Thanks in advance.

Troacctid
2015-09-16, 05:17 PM
My favorite feat for familiars is Draconic Aura. Gives a buff to the whole party, making the familiar relevant in combat without even having to do anything. Add in Dragontouched and you can make the bonus scale a little.

Cloak Dance is a strong defensive/stealthy feat, if you can get it to meet the requirements.

Pyromancer999
2015-09-16, 06:05 PM
My favorite feat for familiars is Draconic Aura. Gives a buff to the whole party, making the familiar relevant in combat without even having to do anything. Add in Dragontouched and you can make the bonus scale a little.

If you're going to do Draconic Aura, just do a Drakken Familiar(Dragon Magic). Gets the Dragonblood subtype off the bat, and also gets stuff like a limited breath weapon and a couple other things. You could just do stuff like that

Cloak Dance is a strong defensive/stealthy feat, if you can get it to meet the requirements.
I don't know about this one, as I'm going to assume the familiar does not get skill ranks in any skills, since the OP does not mention this.

Also, Tome of Battle would not be bad to look at. As I do not think you're going for a front-line combat familiar, maybe a thing or two from Shadow Hand would do well, like turning invisible, teleportation, concealment, sneak attack for hit & run(although might have to wait another few levels for that last one).

Other than that, things depend on your intended role for the familiar.

Jthw
2015-09-16, 08:04 PM
I don't know about this one, as I'm going to assume the familiar does not get skill ranks in any skills, since the OP does not mention this.

Ruled as having the same ranks as master, don't have my character sheet on me but assume things like knowledges, spellcraft, concentration, etc.

I won't be able to read into the suggestions until a couple hours from now but the suggestions look good so far!

Also I really just want the familiar in some way, I even forgot I got a familiar before last session and it getting feats just seems like DM wants me to do something with it.
I guess the first and foremost thing is that it doesn't die. I have the most xp in the party (they have all died at least once, not for being bad just unlucky rolls.) Other than it not dying just it being useful is nice.

Also worth noting my character is a skeleton with a fake skin and my familiar usually chills inside me with a baby black dragon if that helps with anything.

Thurbane
2015-09-16, 11:04 PM
Fiendish or Fey heritage feat chain (Complete Mage) for SLAs?

Zaydos
2015-09-17, 10:52 AM
Draconic Aura as already suggested. I personally enjoy some of the more party buff Devotion feats (Protection Devotion can get +5 to party AC for 1 encounter/day), but unless you are going for super stealthy familiar (in which case Darkstalker + stealth boosting feats) I'd say in general you want things that buff the party. Though Fey Legacy or Fiendish Presence isn't too bad of an idea and once you've got one of those you might as well get Fey Presence/Fiendish Legacy.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-18, 09:26 AM
Obviously, your Familiar needs to take Obtain Familiar and Leadership...

noob
2015-09-18, 11:12 AM
Familiar and prestige chains are not something to do because it is an infinitely repeatable trick improving your power at each time.
And it is not as good as trallherd +psycristal abuses.

Saintheart
2015-09-18, 10:05 PM
You can also cast Planar Familiar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011020a) on it and give it a bunch of outsider-type special abilities. Instantaneous duration, 500 XP.

Rubik
2015-09-18, 10:29 PM
Shape Soulmeld is always a favorite.

I especially like it to grab a phase cloak, along with either Open Chakra (Shoulders) or the equivalent spell, so it can move ethereally at will.

Warrnan
2015-09-18, 10:34 PM
Don't forget to give your familiar the feat wild cohort. Lol.