PDA

View Full Version : Spell Level

LordOfCain
2015-09-16, 05:36 PM
Mindmerge (Enchantment)
You implant your consciousness in another being's body. But the other being is still there. You both have different mental stats and class levels but make will saves to see who comes out on top every day or when you enter combat.

What spell level is this?

ComaVision
2015-09-16, 05:43 PM
Mind Switch, True is a 9th level Power that permanently swaps minds.

Mind Switch is a 6th level Power that does it temporarily.

I guess this would be level 7 or 8. Probably 7 since you lose all control on a bad roll.

LordOfCain
2015-09-16, 07:44 PM
What resource is mind switch from??? Also, an xp cost would be likely but not as drastic as an entire level like resurrection.

ComaVision
2015-09-16, 11:09 PM
What resource is mind switch from??? Also, an xp cost would be likely but not as drastic as an entire level like resurrection.

SRD, I don't know what the book is.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-16, 11:12 PM

EPH page 119.

Deadline
2015-09-17, 12:02 PM
The Magic Jar spell from the PHB is also similar to this.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-17, 12:05 PM
L-E-V-E-L.

...what? :smallbiggrin:

Diarmuid
2015-09-17, 02:52 PM
Mind Switch, True is a 9th level Power that permanently swaps minds.

Mind Switch is a 6th level Power that does it temporarily.

I guess this would be level 7 or 8. Probably 7 since you lose all control on a bad roll.

Bolded for emphasis.

Seems like you've already gotten an A-N-S-W-E-R.

Kantolin
2015-09-17, 04:48 PM
I don't know if I'd consider this better, or at least not /much/ better, than Dominate.

I mean, dominate but you can get screwed from using it? And even when it works, you now have to care about the thrall because that's where you are too, so you can't even dominate people and have them stand where you know a volcano's about to erupt or something.

LordOfCain
2015-09-17, 05:05 PM
That's what I was thinking. It is like a permanent dominate but you have a chance of losing control.

Deadline
2015-09-17, 06:24 PM
That's what I was thinking. It is like a permanent dominate but you have a chance of losing control.

What is the duration supposed to be? Is a save of some sort allowed? Does it allow Spell Resistance? What are the components required? Why doesn't it have the [Mind Affecting] or (Compulsion) tags? Is the target one creature, or is it restricted by type (Like Charm/Dominate Person)?

There are a lot of questions to be answered before you pop in Spell Level.

Troacctid
2015-09-17, 06:30 PM
Dominate Monster is a 9th level spell, so it is well and good that it should be weaker.

LordOfCain
2015-09-17, 08:31 PM
What is the duration supposed to be? Is a save of some sort allowed? Does it allow Spell Resistance? What are the components required? Why doesn't it have the [Mind Affecting] or (Compulsion) tags? Is the target one creature, or is it restricted by type (Like Charm/Dominate Person.
Infinite.
Will
Yes
Mindflayer tentacles & 300 Xp
IDK.
Only humanoid.

Meepo_
2015-09-17, 08:37 PM
What happens to the caster's body? Maybe you could also make it so that two people other than the caster are forced into the same body (for the lolz).

LordOfCain
2015-09-17, 08:44 PM
The body turns into an inert soulless corpse that cannot be revived