PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ocean encounter

1Forge
2015-09-16, 06:44 PM
So I need help creating monsters for my party to fight in an under-sea dungeon. I have 3 shadow assasin things already in use but I think they will kill them quickly. What else is there to use? (I dont have a MM to check) they will be a party of 5-8 lvl 2-3 adventurersSomething like: 1 rogue or 1 fighter
1 barb
1 bard
1 cleric
1-2 paladins
1 ranger
0-2 wizard(s)

Any help would be appreciated :)

It's a homebrew world called Milan, they are traviling from Bashiir (asian-ish isles) by boat to Ailana (a more traditional medieval-fantasy land) they recently fought off highly trained and armoured kobolds (ikr) and are now pursued by assasins made of shadow (no blade can harm them) when sailing away the shadows will blow the gunpowder sinking the ship and the party will fall to the ocean; they will all then wake up in an under-sea temple where they will kill the shadows, find some magic items, and find a way to make it to land.

Kryx
2015-09-16, 06:47 PM
Sahuagin, Merfolk, Kua-Toa, Merrow, Plesiosaurus, Sea Hag, Reef Shark, Hunter Shark, Crab, Crocodile, Giant Frog, Giant Octopus, Giant Sea Horsed, Swarm of Quipper, Water Weird

Naanomi
2015-09-16, 07:10 PM
Water elementals, mephitis, a marid

1Forge
2015-09-16, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ( I like the elemental idea) but could I get some Cr's? Like I said i have no MM

JNAProductions
2015-09-16, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ( I like the elemental idea) but could I get some stats or at least Cr's? Like I said i have no MM

Short answer? No.

Long answer? You need to buy the book. We all enjoy D&D, but it costs WotC money to keep it going. If we provide you with the content for free, D&D is more likely to fail.

Also, it's against forum rules I think.

1Forge
2015-09-16, 08:45 PM
Short answer? No.

Long answer? You need to buy the book. We all enjoy D&D, but it costs WotC money to keep it going. If we provide you with the content for free, D&D is more likely to fail.

Also, it's against forum rules I think.

I understand your reasoning, but just some cr's would be nice it'd give me an idea of the ballpark I'm playing in so to speak. But I get your concern that's why I dont let my players use pirated rules. Could I at least get an idea how many of each creature the party could take realistically in an encounter? That would help me fudge it a bit with my players.

Louro
2015-09-16, 09:00 PM
Here you have
http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MM_MonstersCR.pdf

You might also like this thing:
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

JellyPooga
2015-09-16, 09:14 PM
Skeletons.

The big and obvious counter to our bony friends is Bludgeoning weapons, which suffer Disadvantage underwater.

The other big flaw they have, is to Turn Undead. Underwater, movement rates are usually reduced, meaning that they'll be running/fleeing slower, reducing the distance they'll get before you have to encounter them again (if not the time).

And let's face it, there's all sorts of potential for atmospheric "drowned sailors" and such (not to mention Pirates of the Caribbean references!).

Naanomi
2015-09-16, 09:33 PM
That's true, undead of all stripes are good underwater. Skeletons, ghosts; lots of fun with the drowned

1Forge
2015-09-16, 10:37 PM
Wow how could i have not thought of these? Thank you so much for the suggestions and the CR list, there all extremely helpfull. I have skeletons, homebrewed elementals, homebrewed shadows, and some homebrewed spine fish. That spices up the encounters quite a bit!

Any ideas on a way I should give them to return to the surface?

jkat718
2015-09-17, 12:02 AM
The Apparatus of Kwalish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparatus_of_Kwalish)! It's a giant mecha-crab that has floodlights for eyes and big pincer claws! :smallbiggrin:

TrollCapAmerica
2015-09-17, 01:51 AM
Ahh the Apparatus is so clasdic it almost hurts

You might also throw in some things with non hostile undersea creatures

Maybe merfolk Locatah or aquatic elven slaves that need rescuing from Saughin. Maybe go bigger and they found a drunken Storm Giant chained him up and are planning a sacrifice. Put a Mcguffin in the mouth of a sleeping Dragon Turtle or have the whole dungeon turn out to be carved into the coral growing on a Zaratan

Steampunkette
2015-09-17, 05:33 AM
Could also go with my favorite method. Reskin for fluffiness.

Use the stats of whatever monster you want of the appropriate cr and describe it differently.

I confused the heck out of a 3e party when they met a jersey devil type monster with paralyzing gaze and barbs that it spit. And when they got close it lashed out with tentacles from its spine.

Medusa with a bow for stats.

Wanna make a creature work in the water? Give it a swim speed equal to its land speed.

Regitnui
2015-09-17, 08:00 AM
Wanna make a creature work in the water? Give it a swim speed equal to its land speed.

Yeah, that's the fastest way. Give the Tyrannosaurus a swim speed and claim it's a Spinosaur, or giant saltwater croc.

I like the idea of at least one submerged encounter with a water elemental, since any being consisting entirely of water is for all intents and purposes completely undetectable, unless it wants not to be.

Ketiara
2015-09-17, 03:36 PM
their ship should be destroyed by The Kraken! not an actual encounter, but more like something they have to manage to escape from

1Forge
2015-09-17, 03:48 PM
their ship should be destroyed by The Kraken! not an actual encounter, but more like something they have to manage to escape from

Sorry no a kraken is waaay to cliche

JAL_1138
2015-09-17, 03:55 PM
Sorry no a kraken is waaay to cliche

Just look at it, though...!

http://lomion.de/cmm/img/squigian.gif

(...yes, I know it's from 2e, not 5th. Still a cooler image than the one in the 5e MM.)

1Forge
2015-09-17, 06:05 PM
Sorry waay to overused plus they could never kill it at this level.

Also how did you get the pic on there? I've tried to post pics with my stuff and its never worked.

Strigon
2015-09-17, 06:14 PM
Also how did you get the pic on there? I've tried to post pics with my stuff and its never worked.

When posting, there are a lot of buttons.
In the middle row above your text box, in the fourth group from the left, you'll see a tiny little icon of a painting of a tree. Clicking it will let you paste the URL to an image, et voila! You've posted a picture!

Also, may I ask what kind of theme you want from these creatures?
Like, do you want an epic battle with the heroes on land and the monsters in the water, like from The Fellowship of the Ring, or do you want what basically amounts to a land battle with a few penalties, or are you more thinking of making your players freak out as they're dragged under one by one by an enemy they can't even see?

1Forge
2015-09-17, 06:24 PM
When posting, there are a lot of buttons.
In the middle row above your text box, in the fourth group from the left, you'll see a tiny little icon of a painting of a tree. Clicking it will let you paste the URL to an image, et voila! You've posted a picture!

Also, may I ask what kind of theme you want from these creatures?
Like, do you want an epic battle with the heroes on land and the monsters in the water, like from The Fellowship of the Ring, or do you want what basically amounts to a land battle with a few penalties, or are you more thinking of making your players freak out as they're dragged under one by one by an enemy they can't even see?

They're in an underground temple, as they try to find an exit the path slowly slants deeper in water (the entrance tunnels might have puddles but the end might involve swimming) I'm thinking some trap doors and water elementals with a few undead sailors submerged here or there, all the while pursued by shadowy hunters. Eventually they're supposed to find an internal contract that will allow the signer to travel to hell and back (that's how they make it to the surface) but the player will give up 1/20th of his soul :). I know I'm an evil DM.

This is all leading up to my main campaign where they have to thwart the plans of 3 gods.

JNAProductions
2015-09-17, 06:31 PM
You sound less like an evil DM and more like a railroady DM to me. What if the players don't sign the contract? What if they decide to join the gods? What if, what if, what if?

1Forge
2015-09-17, 06:40 PM
You sound less like an evil DM and more like a railroady DM to me. What if the players don't sign the contract? What if they decide to join the gods? What if, what if, what if?

Oh those were the most likely scenarios I gave not the only ones, trust me i have contingency's on contingency's planned. (ex: If they ditch the contract an imp will appear to offer a counter offer, there are also divine engravings on the walls that could be used to get a portal to the island to anywhere, and some winebarrels they could float up in)

As for the gods thing most of them are good aligned and joining these guys would mean their extermination...there are other options they could take though I've just charted the most likely for now.

But your right the paladin may eat the contract, the necromancer could join the deities, and the tiefling could ditch everyone else in hell . Abything is possible

JAL_1138
2015-09-17, 07:26 PM
If you don't want to use the little tree button, or are on the mobile site, put the letters img in square brackets [these], then paste the URL after the [ ] brackets, then put /img in square brackets [ ] afterward. Which is what the button is a shortcut for.

ReplaceThisTextWithURL

Steampunkette
2015-09-17, 10:11 PM
Oh! Also, the DMG has the broken out range tables for monster statistics by CR.

So you can take a Kraken and increase or decrease it's challenge rating by moving it up or down the sliding scale.

Probably my favorite thing about this edition's monsters.