PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Polar Bearbarian Help [Barbarian Build]

Solaris
2015-09-16, 07:48 PM
My wife's built* a barbarian character making use of Frostrager, Warshaper, and Bear Warrior for a game starting at 6th level and running until at least 10th level. This has led to some rule questions on how they interact.
Superior Unarmed Strike and Frostrager: Does the feat stack with the prestige class's frostrage ability? If so, how would you adjudicate it? If not, why?
Bear Form and Frostrage: Do the bear's natural attacks get modified by the frostrage ability? If not, does the character get to make her unarmed attacks and attack with her natural weapons in a full attack?
Warshaper: I have the understanding that the Warshaper's abilities are limited to while shapechanged (in this instance, while running around as a cold, angry bear), but couldn't find that in the text. Am I incorrect in thinking that, or did I miss something I had read many moons ago but can't find now?
Armor: This isn't exactly related to the interaction between the three, but rather just for Bear Warrior. What are some of the better ways to keep armor on the character when she goes grizzly?

Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 1 / Warshaper 4 / +4 Bear / +3 Frost
(Bear Warrior and Frostrager levels gained after Warshaper's complete can be in any order, really)

Wilderness Rogue is because it was originally going to be my Conan expy gives a pile of skill points and sneak attack damage, which works out well when she has a full attack involving 3+ attacks.

Warblade is for things like Iron Heart Surge, and because the recovery mechanic works quite well with the Polar Bearbarian's gnarly full attack. Also, the class from the Tome of Anime Fightin' Magic being there lets me make jokes about bear-fu.

Wilderness Rogue (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Rogue_Variant:_Wilderness_Rogue) 1; Power Attack, Improved Unarmed Strike
Wild Rog 1 / Barbarian 1
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / Warblade 1; Frozen Berserker
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 2
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 3
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4; Imperious Command (w/ fearsome armor, so she can make an opponent cower and use a maneuver in the same turn)
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frostrager 1
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear Warrior 1; Extra Rage
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 1 / Warshaper 1
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 1 / Warshaper 2
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 1 / Warshaper 3; Superior Unarmed Strike
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 1 / Warshaper 4
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 2 / Warshaper 4
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 3 / Warshaper 4; Snap Kick
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 4 / Warshaper 4
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 2 / Bear 5 / Warshaper 4
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 3 / Bear 5 / Warshaper 4; Leap Attack
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 4 / Bear 5 / Warshaper 4
Wild Rog 1 / Barb 1 / War 4 / Frost 5 / Bear 5 / Warshaper 4

* Read: Saw what I was making and stole it from me using her wily feminine wiles, leaving me with a support role character. Doesn't she know girlfriends are supposed to play healers, not killmaimy murderbears?

Troacctid
2015-09-16, 08:26 PM
1. They don't stack. The way I would adjudicate it would be to use the base damage from Superior Unarmed Strike and add the cold damage from Frostrage.
2. Frostrage only affects unarmed attacks. Natural weapons are considered armed attacks, so they don't benefit from it. (I assume there's some function of the cold magic that prevents the frost coating from forming over weapons, even if the weapons are physically part of you? Shrug.) However, you can combine your unarmed attacks with natural weapons when making a full attack, so that's a thing.
3. Warshaper abilities only function while in your alternate form, as per Complete Warrior p90 under "Class Features."
4. The easiest way is to get one of your party's casters to give you a Mage Armor or Luminous Armor spell, which provides "armor" that is retained regardless of your form.