PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Is there any reason to silver magic weapons?

Coidzor
2015-09-16, 11:31 PM
Also, can you silver magic weapons? From what I read about it in the basic rules it appears to be something that can be added to existing weapons.

Silavor
2015-09-16, 11:37 PM
Magic weapons temporarily cease to be magical while in an anti-magic field, so there could be a reason to also want it silvered. Fighting a devil or werewolf in the middle of an anti-magic field is a very bizarre and oddly specific situation though, so unless you know ahead of time that this is something that could happen, you probably have better uses for your gold.

Coidzor
2015-09-17, 12:13 AM
Magic weapons temporarily cease to be magical while in an anti-magic field, so there could be a reason to also want it silvered. Fighting a devil or werewolf in the middle of an anti-magic field is a very bizarre and oddly specific situation though, so unless you know ahead of time that this is something that could happen, you probably have better uses for your gold.

That's it though? We just encountered a creature that apparently needed adamantine and magic weapons to bypass its resistance(which surprised me since that seemed a bit 3.Xy, rather than 5ey), so I got curious about whether that was a known thing one needed to do with one's magic weapons.

Strill
2015-09-17, 12:46 AM
That's it though? We just encountered a creature that apparently needed adamantine and magic weapons to bypass its resistance(which surprised me since that seemed a bit 3.Xy, rather than 5ey), so I got curious about whether that was a known thing one needed to do with one's magic weapons.

Well then it's homebrew, so if your DM is gonna add monsters like that, you should probably silver your magic weapons just in case.

Flashy
2015-09-17, 12:58 AM

If it was a Xorn, Gargoyle, Helmed Horror or one of the many varieties of Golem your DM just read the rules wrong. If not you're dealing with some wonky homebrew.

Coidzor
2015-09-17, 02:20 AM
If it was a Xorn, Gargoyle, Helmed Horror or one of the many varieties of Golem your DM just read the rules wrong. If not you're dealing with some wonky homebrew.

We fought a MM standard Gargoyle and a Flesh Golem, I forget which it was that we succeeded on a knowledge check sufficient to get the resistance knowledge on though.

I might've misheard him when he said it, too, I suppose.

Strill
2015-09-17, 02:23 AM
We fought a MM standard Gargoyle and a Flesh Golem, I forget which it was that we succeeded on a knowledge check sufficient to get the resistance knowledge on though.

I might've misheard him when he said it, too, I suppose.

Your DM misread it. You need EITHER a magic weapon OR an adamantine weapon.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 10:13 AM
Your DM misread it. You need EITHER a magic weapon OR an adamantine weapon.

Isn't adamantine under magic weapons/properties?

jkat718
2015-09-17, 10:16 AM
Nope. See answer #88 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19830540&postcount=237) on the Simple RAW Q&A, part 2.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 10:21 AM
Nope. See answer #88 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19830540&postcount=237) on the Simple RAW Q&A, part 2.

Probably my connection but I can't follow that link.

In party sure I saw the DMG with adamantine under magic items.

Silavor
2015-09-17, 10:59 AM
Adamantine armour is listed under magic items (it gives immunity to crits), but it does not talk about adamantine (or mithral!) weapons anywhere in the magic items section.

jkat718
2015-09-17, 11:01 AM
Probably my connection but I can't follow that link.

In party sure I saw the DMG with adamantine under magic items.

Here you are:

Q88: Are adamantine weapons defined in the rules anywhere? If so, where?

A88: The only RAW that even tangentially defines adamantine weapons is the table on p.246 of the DMG, which states that the AC for an adamantine object would be 23.

The only adamantine magic items in the DMG are the adamantine armors and Daern's Instant Fortress.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 11:08 AM
Here you are:

The only adamantine magic items in the DMG are the adamantine armors and Daern's Instant Fortress.

Gotcha, that makes sense why I saw it in the DMG at some point.

Inevitability
2015-09-17, 11:17 AM
Obviously the only way to wield an adamantine weapon and gain benefits from it is to pick up some adamantine armor, enter an AMF, and beat up whatever weapon-resistant monsters may be in there.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 11:24 AM
Obviously the only way to wield an adamantine weapon and gain benefits from it is to pick up some adamantine armor, enter an AMF, and beat up whatever weapon-resistant monsters may be in there.

Science is sound. Can confirm, I had a 4e Barbarian that used a dead warforged (had adamantine plating) as a weapon. Same concept really.

1Forge
2015-09-17, 06:32 PM
Eh if its home brew the best way to know if it will be effective is to ask your dm and make a case for it. I know if one of my players did it I would give them a bonus of some kind (especially because silvering is verry difficult in my game) but if you have alot of money and your dm is giving you coy answers on silvering questions silver everything, coat it in garlic, and light it on fire.

Naanomi
2015-09-17, 07:21 PM
It probably looks pretty cool as well, which is something that may be important to some characters

Coidzor
2015-09-17, 09:42 PM

And now you know why I asked that question.

Well, the party fighter is gunning for some adamantine full plate and I already have the carrying capacity to lift him and the armor trivially, more so in another level when my Bearbarian carrying capacity is doubled. :smallamused:

Sigreid
2015-09-17, 10:39 PM
Just a thought, but a silvered weapon could potentially be protected from a rust monster since silver doesn't corrode and rust like iron/steel.

1Forge
2015-09-17, 10:54 PM
Just a thought, but a silvered weapon could potentially be protected from a rust monster since silver doesn't corrode and rust like iron/steel.

I'd allow some sort of resistance.

Dimers
2015-09-17, 11:00 PM
Eh if its home brew the best way to know if it will be effective is to ask your dm and make a case for it. I know if one of my players did it I would give them a bonus of some kind (especially because silvering is verry difficult in my game) but if you have alot of money and your dm is giving you coy answers on silvering questions silver everything, coat it in garlic, and light it on fire.

Mmmm, roasted garlic. :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2015-09-18, 12:22 AM

No idea if it's touched upon in this edition, but wasn't part of their weirdness in past editions that they're able to rust and corrode all metals, even gold and platinum?

Jeraa
2015-09-18, 12:32 AM
No idea if it's touched upon in this edition, but wasn't part of their weirdness in past editions that they're able to rust and corrode all metals, even gold and platinum?

The 5e Monster Manual specifically says ferrous metals and lists iron, steel, adamantine, and mithral as examples.

The 3.5 Monster Manual says they rust and eat all metals, but prefer ferrous metals over precious metals.

Coidzor
2015-09-18, 12:55 AM
The 5e Monster Manual specifically says ferrous metals and lists iron, steel, adamantine, and mithral as examples.

The 3.5 Monster Manual says they rust and eat all metals, but prefer ferrous metals over precious metals.

Hmm, well, there you go then. Thank you. So the main reason so far is for bling purposes and for protection from rust monsters.

Edit: Oh, right, and werewolves in AMF.