PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Norn (from Guild Wars 2) PC Race [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-09-17, 01:19 AM
Made this today, need input on balance. I'm using the fluff provided by Guild Wars 2, but replacing locations in their history with locations from my world.

Norn

Ability Score Increase. You can increase two different ability scores by 1. You may increase the ability score that your subrace increases.
Age. Norn mature at the same rate as humans, and live a while longer.
Alignment. You have lived outside the laws of civilization for most of your life. You tend towards a more chaotic alignment.
Size. You stand between 6 and 8 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Born of Wilderness. You have proficiency with the Survival skill.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.
Subrace. The Norn have a spirit animal that the strive to embody the ideals of.

Bear
The Ideal that you strive to embody as a Bear Norn is Strength.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Spirit Animal. Once per day you can shift into a brown bear. Treat your transformation as if you have the Wild Shape feature.

Raven
The Ideal that you strive to embody as a Raven Norn is Wisdom.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Spirit Animal. Once per day you can shift into a giant raven. Treat your transformation as if you have the Wild Shape feature. You use the giant eagle stat block. The fly speed restriction of the Wild Shape feature does not apply to you.

Snow Leopard
The Ideal that you strive to embody as a Snow Leopard Norn is Stealth.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Spirit Animal. Once per day you can shift into a Snow Leopard. Treat your transformation as if you have the Wild Shape feature. You use the tiger stat block.

Wolf
The Ideal that you strive to embody as a Wolf Norn is Survival.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Spirit Animal. Once per day you can shift into a Dire Wolf. Treat your transformation as you have the Wild Shape feature.

DracoKnight
2015-09-17, 02:15 AM
And I do realize that I've given each of the subraces a CR 1 whilst Wild Shape grants CR 1/4; the Norn only get it once per day, and only one form, so I think it's fair. What says the forum?

DracoKnight
2015-09-17, 04:26 PM
Are there any balance issues here?

DracoKnight
2015-09-19, 09:32 PM
Seriously, though, any thoughts?

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-20, 01:44 PM
It seems balanced to me, but I'm still figuring out how to balance things. I hope others start replying who can give you a better opinion than I. :)

Wartex1
2015-09-20, 07:53 PM
Put a 1-Minute timer on the animal forms and you're golden.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-09-21, 08:17 AM
^Yeah I definitely think that the time limit needs to be specified. For clarity sake I ask that the action used to shift be listed as well.

I think they should have darkvision as well though.

If a player came to me wanting to play this race at lower levels, I'd have the stipulation that they have not gained the ability to shift until after the go through a rite of passage. With that in place I am chill with them having a duration = 1 hour / 2 character levels. I know that boosts them into being pretty freaking powerful, but I would feel comfortable having made them earn it.

DracoKnight
2015-09-22, 02:36 AM
^Yeah I definitely think that the time limit needs to be specified. For clarity sake I ask that the action used to shift be listed as well.

This shift is treated as if you have Wild Shape which is a number of hours equal to 1/2 character level, and an action to shift.

I think they should have darkvision as well though.

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about that. But it makes sense :D

If a player came to me wanting to play this race at lower levels, I'd have the stipulation that they have not gained the ability to shift until after the go through a rite of passage. With that in place I am chill with them having a duration = 1 hour / 2 character levels. I know that boosts them into being pretty freaking powerful, but I would feel comfortable having made them earn it.

I like that, as an RP thing. I don't know how heavily I would enforce it, because while it's really powerful at lower levels, it tapers off at higher levels.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-26, 03:37 PM

There's lots of chances for great RP here :D

raygun goth
2015-09-26, 03:47 PM
My only nitpick is the size. Norn are, on average, nine feet tall. Their children are the size of adult humans. They are not medium in any way.

DracoKnight
2015-09-26, 04:53 PM
My only nitpick is the size. Norn are, on average, nine feet tall. Their children are the size of adult humans. They are not medium in any way.

I had to change the size for D&D. Unfortunately :(

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-26, 11:28 PM
I had to change the size for D&D. Unfortunately :(

Yeah...so far with 5e, they're trying to steer clear of Large PC races.

DracoKnight
2015-09-26, 11:30 PM
Yeah...so far with 5e, they're trying to steer clear of Large PC races.

Yeah. That's cuz a lot of things happen when you have a Large PC. Like weapon damage dice doubling.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-26, 11:33 PM
Yeah. That's cuz a lot of things happen when you have a Large PC. Like weapon damage dice doubling.

Which is why there are only two spells that get cast on our party's Fighters (other than Cure Wounds): Enlarge and Haste. :D

DracoKnight
2015-09-26, 11:33 PM
Which is why there are only two spells that get cast on our party's Fighter (other than Cure Wounds): Enlarge and Haste. :D

Both excellent :D

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-26, 11:37 PM
Both excellent :D

Yeah. We have a Wild Magic Sorcerer and a Draconic Sorcerer, and both took Twinned Spell. So both of our Fighters can be Enlarged and Hasted at the same time. They wreck everything.

DracoKnight
2015-09-26, 11:38 PM
Yeah. We have a Wild Magic Sorcerer and a Draconic Sorcerer, and both took Twinned Spell. So both of our Fighters can be Enlarged and Hasted at the same time. They wreck everything.

Nice. That must work out well for you guys. :D

GandalfTheWhite
2015-09-26, 11:43 PM
Nice. That must work out well for you guys. :D

Indeed it does. :)