PDA

View Full Version : Modern Magic Campaign (see UA article): Wizard Build Suggestions

NNescio
2015-09-17, 03:00 AM
So, DM is planning Modern Magic Campaign, and I'm going to play a Wizard. Technomagic arcane tradition, of course, because it's a nifty new option, so I might as well try it out. Guns will be common, and both players and enemies don't need to take the Aim bonus action to benefit from proficiency. In theory this means two things; I'm squishy, and blasting is horribly suboptimal. Still, magic is magic, and the Wizard can rectify a lot of things with his spells. I need some optimization advice with stat distribution and feats though.

DM says he doesn't mind me breaking the game. Actually, he specifically requested me to go wild with magic. He trusts me that I will only use those options when, I quote him, "narratively appropriate". Plus he wants to see how far magic can break the game in a modern setting, as a playtest of sorts.

I'm probably going Gnome, but not quite sure which Gnome subrace yet. Rock gnomes seem to fit the most, flavor-wise, but the free minor illusion cantrip on the Forest gnome is tempting. Also Svirfneblin, for the Svirfneblin Magic feat if I want to stay off the grid completely.

Initial stat distribution will probably be 8 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 17 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Str for Rock Gnomes or 8 Str, 16 Dex, 14 Con, 17 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Str for the other gnomes.

Probably going for proficiency with Perception, Arcana, History, and Investigation. Might swap out Investigation on Rock Gnomes, or History on the other two gnomes (Google-fu is Investigation, right? It shouldn't be a Hacking ability check).

Feats will probably be Observant (Perception) at Level 4. Then Int boost at level 8, followed by the Alert feat at 12.

With Svirfneblin, I'll go with Svirfneblin Magic at Level 4, delaying the other feats and ASIs. Probably going to pick up Stealth instead of Investigation then.

Not sure if I want to take Resilient(Con) or Resilient(Dex). I'll have better feats or ASIs to take on earlier levels, and struggling with an odd ability score (to take advantage of the +1 boost) for that long seems a bit too inconvenient.

--

Some ideas about spells:

Find Vehicle is the single strongest spell published in the UA Modern Magic article. It is also extremely flexible, and allows all sort of shenanigans like an Gurkha armored patrol vehicle with all the bells and whistles installed (including a remotely-operated .50 cal machine gun). It's technically nonmilitary, I believe.

Spaces up in the air should count as unoccupied, so in theory this spell should also allow you to drop oil tankers or steamrollers (WRRRYYYYYY) on enemies.

Plus, as a 7th level spell it lets you Summon Hindenburg or something. Or a battleship. Naturally, this part is explicitly subject to DM approval. Still going to try to summon IJN Yamato later on for the sheer novelty factor of firing the Yamato cannons (even if I probably need some crew/allies/unseen servants to help a bit).

(Yes, if I do need to summon a military ship, something like a modern missile destroyer would probably be far better, especially since I can Conjure a Knowbot inside the fire and control systems. But, well, Yamato. Even if she was an inefficient white elephant hotel.)

The interesting thing is that the spell also allows you to share self spells with the summoned vehicle. Sign me up for a Blurred or Mirror Imaged armored car, plus Shield against things like RPGs. Maaaybe Absorb Elements as well.

Also, depending on how you interpret targeting this can also potentially allow you to fire off two Lightning Bolts for the cost of one.

It is also strongly implied (but not outright stated) that the vehicle counts as a creature, since otherwise you'll have a Fey, Celestial or Fiendish... object.

So, Spider Climb on the armored car to drive it up walls. Or Invisibility/Invisibility to Cameras, depending on how you interpret "carrying".

On a relevant note, anyone has any good ideas on what nonmilitary naval vehicles to summon as a 3rd level spell? Is there an armed police speedboat or something?

Leomund's Tiny Hut, Or Leomund's Instant Fortress as I like to call it, allows me to summon cover which can be fired out of from. Sure, it takes 1 minute to cast (or 11 minutes as a ritual), but it renders a group untouchable by bullets and other projectiles, and they can fire out with advantage to boot.

Cast it with Program Spell, and now it takes only one action. In theory you could ready an action to tap the button on your device for all sorts of shenanigans.

Program Spell in general is useful for shortening spells with casting times exceeding more than one action (which technically allows you to pull off some additional combos, since I believe spells taking longer than 1 action to cast require concentration to cast, but not to maintain). It can also be used to give you an additional spell slot of your highest level, so you can, say, hop on the Simulacrum daisy chain at an earlier level.

Creation comes online far later on, but it provides a nuclear option as a last resort.

Phantasmal Force cast through Online Casting to summon Golden Freddy. Bonus points if the target is a guard watching the cameras. Alternatively, Sadako from Ring.

Also Suggestion cast through Online Casting. Or other enchantment spells. Geas seems like a neat option flavor-wise... if it weren't so bad mechanically.

(Might still try it for the novelty factor of shouting "I geass him through the speakers".)

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere is a great panic spell against enemy ranged attacks and explosions. Gets even more useful when combined with Contingency. I believe it also hedges out Antimagic Fields (but not when cast inside one, as you can't cast it then.) It can also help prevent deaths from a point-blank Creation nuke, when Contigencied.

Infallible Relay can, in theory, be used as sort of a "Save or Suck" spell. It also works great with Online Casting.

Chained Device is kinda meh (since it's only usable 1/day and can be shut off easily by Haywire. Or even On/Off if it has readily accessible buttons), but it does allow two simultaneous concentration spells.

Dispel Magic is probably going to be the most important spell in this setting with all the shenanigans arcane magic can pull. Leomund's Bubble Shield, in particular.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 08:48 AM
Never played it but this sounds like Shadowrun, good luck! You might want a backup character from the sound of things.

NNescio
2015-09-17, 07:18 PM
Never played it but this sounds like Shadowrun, good luck!

Well, in essence, it's basically 5e DnD with additional optional items and spells thrown in. Plus some different archetypes for a select few spellcasters. Rules are still mostly the same. Spellcasters don't need multiple 'skill checks' to cast a spell, they just spend a spell slot and that's it.

But, yeah, setting-wise, it's going to be quite similar to Shadowrun.

You might want a backup character from the sound of things.

Because "geek the mage first?" Yeah, gotta be careful, especially since the Technomage is like a Mage, Decker, and Rigger combined.