PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Parent - New 5e Background

JamesIntrocaso
2015-09-17, 08:21 AM
So I have a lot of friends and family about my age who are parents now and it got me thinking that parent is just as much a background as sailor or soldier. So I tried my hand at making a parent background. Take a look at let me know what you think about it. Thanks!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2015/09/17/new-background-parent/

Provo
2015-09-18, 06:53 PM
I love this, lol. While I hope most of my characters are never parents (something about regularly killing other sentient creatures makes it sound like a bad idea), I certainly think I will use this at some point.

JamesIntrocaso
2015-09-19, 08:26 AM
I love this, lol. While I hope most of my characters are never parents (something about regularly killing other sentient creatures makes it sound like a bad idea), I certainly think I will use this at some point.

Could make for a good NPC too!

Ilorin Lorati
2015-09-19, 09:08 AM
This is an amusing background, but if one of my players came to me asking to play using this background I'd probably kick them out of my group. I play D&D to get away from this bull****. >> Note that this is facetious... mostly.

Talyn
2015-09-19, 09:30 AM
As a new parent myself, I heartily approve this background. Of course, it may imply that a person who is a (for example) soldier, sailor, or noble cannot be a parent... perhaps it should clarify that the background is for people who are primarily parents first, and whatever else they did in their lives second.

That could mean that the adventurer was a stay-at-home Mom (or Dad), or it could just mean that, whatever they did for a living, it came second and family came first.

Alerad
2015-09-20, 07:54 AM
I've always imagined it more like a feat - Alert is the closest one I think :smallsmile:

Also, you can mark one creature of a size category one size smaller than yourself, and have Advantage on Perception and Insight checks against him/her. Can be taken multiple times, allowing you to mark more than one creature at once.