PDA

View Full Version : D20 modern mixed with good old dnd

toddex
2007-05-14, 08:19 PM
So my friend is running a game where we get to use the classes from DND and the equipment from D20 modern along with a future setting, im thinking hes going to do a post apoc setting. Anyway and the vice versa for D20 modern classes.

I was going to do a Cleric with zen archery and a set of pistols. What would you make?

Logic
2007-05-14, 09:31 PM
A Psion or Psychic warrior, on the road to getting Fell Shot.

s.donahue
2007-05-14, 09:40 PM
I'd probably make a ranger, because I love the idea of hunting and stalking the barren nuclear wastes of a post-apocalyptic world. A thief might be fun too. Exploring abandoned military complexes, filled with traps. A gnome enchanter with an enthralled riding half-orc might be fun too...

I've seen Mad Max and Road Warrior way too many times.

manda_babylon
2007-05-15, 01:48 PM
Urban Arcana takes a lot of D&D classes and translates them to the D20 Modern system. I rolled a character from a fantasy world before that wound up translating well to an UA class. [the name escapes me - the class that creates magical objects]

MaximumTaco
2007-05-15, 03:53 PM
Hmm.. I wonder if your DM has been reading the Dresden Files...

Dhavaer
2007-05-15, 04:25 PM
Urban Arcana takes a lot of D&D classes and translates them to the D20 Modern system. I rolled a character from a fantasy world before that wound up translating well to an UA class. [the name escapes me - the class that creates magical objects]

Artificer?

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-15, 04:40 PM
If the reverse happened (D20M in D&D), I could totally make a rogue and nab Supernatural Strike from UA (lets you crit on normally immune creatures, such as undead, constructs, and plants)

blackout
2007-05-15, 04:45 PM
Fighter. Full blown fighter. Laser sword please. :)

Tengu
2007-05-15, 04:50 PM
I'd be a Warblade, and barely resist the urge to Monkey Grip a greatsword and have spiky hair.

Or an Aasimar (or something similar) Apostle of Peace, fighting with two revolvers, using that feat that lets you do non-lethal damage without penalties.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-15, 04:52 PM
*wimpers something about liking d20 modern classes*

The really annoying people are those who do this just because they don't want to fully plunge into a new system.

I'd say what DnD class I'd play in a modern setting but I never play DnD anyway so I don't know what classes are any good. I've been a fighter for 1 session and then given up several times.

I'd probably be an Aristocrate just to annoy people. I played an Aristocrate once. It sucked pretty bad but so did the DM.

goat
2007-05-15, 06:02 PM
A Bard.

With a megaphone and a boombox.

He'd have a Cohort with one of those "dancing" type classes, who would carry around a bit of cardboard he'd put down wherever he was fighting...

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-15, 06:07 PM
A Bard.

With a megaphone and a boombox.

He'd have a Cohort with one of those "dancing" type classes, who would carry around a bit of cardboard he'd put down wherever he was fighting...

Awesome. B-Boy make some noise. I can picture him rapping to inspire competence in his allies... Pick the lock, pick the l-l-l-l-lock...:smallsigh:

Psychic Warrior with a Katana and some leaping attack feats. Nobody could stand in my way- not even Aku, the Shapeshifting Master of Evil.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-05-15, 06:20 PM
I'd probably be an Aristocrate just to annoy people. I played an Aristocrate once. It sucked pretty bad but so did the DM.Aristocratesİ
Only the classiest crates. Only Aristocrates.

Am I, perhaps, too easily amused?

Driderman
2007-05-15, 06:30 PM
I dunno, I think D20 modern cuts it pretty good on its own. Perhaps add Urban Arcana and D20: Apocalypse ( I think its called ) and you could make do. It'd probably be more balanced as well.
I can't help but wonder where arcane and divine spells come from in a D20 post-apocalyptic setting...

Still, if thats what it is, I'd go with the ranger as well. I assume his bow combat style would be applied to firearms as well, of course :smallbiggrin:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-16, 04:23 AM
I dunno, I think D20 modern cuts it pretty good on its own. Perhaps add Urban Arcana and D20: Apocalypse ( I think its called ) and you could make do. It'd probably be more balanced as well.

Magic classes are still overpowered in Modern, they're just limited to 5th level spells which helps a bit. Normal characters access to Rocket launchers and frag grenades helps blaster casters feel less special.

I can't help but wonder where arcane and divine spells come from in a D20 post-apocalyptic setting...

Depends on the Apocalypse. The d20 Apocalypse book has a Judgement Day setting. Arcane magic would work if wizards had been in hiding since the middle ages (due to the invention of guns letting normal humans kill them) and then started trying to spread out now that there's less tech around to counter them.

Aristocratesİ
Only the classiest crates. Only Aristocrates.

Am I, perhaps, too easily amused?

I knew I was spelling it wrong I was just lazy.