PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magic Weapon Costs: Kukri Madness

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 11:56 AM
For the sake of curiosity and/or playing some kind of pseudo-Marilith, how much would six +1 keen Adamantine Kukris set me back? I imagine it's a lot.

Also, would I be better off with Wakizashi?

The Bandicoot
2015-09-17, 12:39 PM
Approximately 67,848 gold for six of them.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 06:57 PM

Yeesh. There goes trying to play a six-armed anything.

zergling.exe
2015-09-17, 07:24 PM
Yeesh. There goes trying to play a six-armed anything.

If you are going to sextuple wield kukris, perhaps you should just get Improved Critical for them. You are getting 6x the return on the feat in that case, which might be it actually worthwhile to get.

Kantolin
2015-09-17, 07:41 PM
Also, while it doesn't save you any costs on +1 nor keen, if you can get access to a greater magic weapon spell, with a metamagic rod of chain spell, you at least won't have to go further than that with the enchantments.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-17, 07:42 PM
If you are going to sextuple wield kukris, perhaps you should just get Improved Critical for them. You are getting 6x the return on the feat in that case, which might be it actually worthwhile to get.

True. Then I cut the cost on the kukris down to...a lot less, but what's the new cost?

Meepo_
2015-09-17, 08:00 PM
True. Then I cut the cost on the kukris down to...a lot less, but what's the new cost?

New cost is 31848gp:

2000 (+1 magic) + 3000 (adamantine) + 300 (masterwork) + 8 (kukri) = 5308, and you want six of them.

CrazyNoob
2015-09-17, 08:18 PM
New cost is 31848gp:

2000 (+1 magic) + 3000 (adamantine) + 300 (masterwork) + 8 (kukri) = 5308, and you want six of them.
Per SRD:
Adamantine is so costly that weapons and armor made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.
Type of Item Item Cost Modifier
Ammunition +60 gp
Light armor +5,000 gp
Medium armor +10,000 gp
Heavy armor +15,000 gp
Weapon +3,000 gp
Shield +2,000 gp

2000 (+1)+3000 (adamantine)+ 8(base weapon) = 5008gp / Kukri or 30048 gp for a set of 6... although id probly just round down to flat 30k.. depending on how generous your DM or maker is, might as well give you a 5-10% discount for bulk order.

Meepo_
2015-09-17, 08:26 PM
Per SRD:
Adamantine is so costly that weapons and armor made from it are always of masterwork quality; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.

Oh, must've missed that. It would also make this wrong:

Now should be 66048

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 10:44 AM
2000 (+1)+3000 (adamantine)+ 8(base weapon) = 5008gp / Kukri or 30048 gp for a set of 6... although id probly just round down to flat 30k.. depending on how generous your DM or maker is, might as well give you a 5-10% discount for bulk order.

It does seem reasonable to get a 5-10% discount on a bulk order of weapons, but it'd depend on the DM. If they're already letting you have six arms, making it affordable is a pretty reasonable request.

upho
2015-09-18, 07:06 PM
Yeesh. There goes trying to play a six-armed anything.Not at all. Six claws per round, all at full bab, full str and full PA bonus gives a pretty damn awesome damage potential. Especially since an Amulet of Mighty Fists takes care of the magic weapon needs for all of them at once (plus any other natural attacks you might have) for the cost of two equal magic weapons, and doesn't even need a +1 in order to add special magic weapon abilities. Add Feral Combat Training plus Dragon Style and Dragon Ferocity and you have 1 attack at x2 str and five at x1.5 str, all getting the "two-handed" x1.5 PA bonus.

The adamantine part might be a bit more expensive though, since that requires an AoMF with the max +5 bonus... But I can't really think of a case that isn't extremely niche that makes adamantine weapons vital, and I believe they're very rarely worth the cost to begin with.

So why adamantine kukris?

StreamOfTheSky
2015-09-19, 08:18 AM
Like another poster said, the best way to make a many-weapon'd user viable is a chain spell greater magic weapon. I think PF has a version of chain spell, if not ask if the 3.5 feat/rod can be used. Also, paying for keen 6 times is a huge waste of money, at that point, a feat spent on Improved Critical is a better idea. I'd understand if you wanted some special property that you can ONLY get by adding it to a weapon, but keen has an identical feat to replace it.

And yeah, why adamantine? If you want to break objects, you only really need 1 adamantine weapon.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-19, 09:45 AM
So why adamantine kukris?

And yeah, why adamantine? If you want to break objects, you only really need 1 adamantine weapon.

Adamantine is cool, I guess? Having thought about it more, I'd probably go with...Celestial Mithral instead, or keep looking into other metals.

Psyren
2015-09-19, 10:46 AM
A single +4 amulet and claws/slams will cover your adamantine needs, and cost far less than buying six +4 weapons or even 6 +1 adamantine weapons. You will also attack with all of them at full BAB (Claws and Slams are primary), plus your hands are considered free for things like spellcasting/grappling/drawing items, plus the feat you spend on Improved Critical (claws) doesn't matter because you would have spent that feat on MWF anyway (and now you don't have to.)

I mention slams because that is what Mariliths have in their entry rather than claws.