PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Armor Spikes/Spiked Gauntlet

Thurbane
2015-09-17, 05:26 PM
I asked this in Q&A, but might be better in a thread of its own:

Is there any way (class feature, feat, weapon modification) to allow Power Attack bonus damage to be applied to a spiked gauntlet, or armor spikes? As light weapons, neither of these can normally benefit from Power Attack.

Cheers - T

Eno Remnant
2015-09-17, 06:49 PM
The only way I can think of to do this is to wear armour and gauntlets made for a creature one size category bigger than you. Not sure what penalties that inflicts, but light weapons are treated as one-handed weapons for creatures one size category smaller than was intended to wield it.

Darrin
2015-09-17, 07:06 PM
I think so. You need levels in Osteomancer (Dragon Compendium), which allows you to create bone spurs that function as both natural and manufactured weapons. As natural weapons, you can Power Attack with them. The Spiker race (Planar Handbook) also have armor spikes as a natural weapon that you can attack with as if it were a manufactured weapon.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-09-17, 07:40 PM
If you can get them to count as weapons usable in a monk's flurry of blows, you can power attack at a 1:1 rate.

My bad, spiked gauntlets do not enhance unarmed attacks attacks like gauntlets do. That won't work. The size increase does work, which means you're taking a -2 on attack rolls to be able to use Power Attack.

Thurbane
2015-09-17, 10:55 PM
I think so. You need levels in Osteomancer (Dragon Compendium), which allows you to create bone spurs that function as both natural and manufactured weapons. As natural weapons, you can Power Attack with them. The Spiker race (Planar Handbook) also have armor spikes as a natural weapon that you can attack with as if it were a manufactured weapon.

Good points, but those options are a little too class/race specific for my uses.

Oversized works, but is pretty inelegant.

Forrestfire
2015-09-17, 11:30 PM
Illithid Weapon Grafts might do it. I don't have my Fiend Folio on me right now, but iirc it makes them a natural weapon.

Andezzar
2015-09-18, 01:59 AM
What do you need the armor spikes/spiked gauntlet for? Maybe something else (that works with PA) can help you?

For weapons on your hands, you could get claws (Bite of the Were-X, Girallon's Blessing, Claws of the Beast (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/clawsoftheBeast.htm) etc.). If you're not willing to get levels in the appropriate classes, you could make a custom magic item with one of those spells/powers on it.