PDA

View Full Version : Battlemaster vs Paladin for Pole Arm Master - Out of Abyss

Winzzy
2015-09-17, 05:40 PM
Which do you all think is a stronger option all around for the camaign? Paladin gets some nice anti fiend stuff and battle master gets the raw damage of a fighter...

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 05:58 PM
Which do you all think is a stronger option all around for the camaign? Paladin gets some nice anti fiend stuff and battle master gets the raw damage of a fighter...

Paladin. All the Fighter gets IS damage while the Paladin can keep up with enough damage and has so many other options.

Plus, the Paladin has a better and more reliable burst and can harm enemies that are resistant or immune to weapon damage while the Fighter has to rely on outside help.

Sigreid
2015-09-17, 05:59 PM
I don't know how there could be any question that a paladin is a better choice power wise for a demon centered campaign. They're literally designed to wreck demons.

Sigreid
2015-09-17, 06:00 PM
Paladin. All the Fighter gets IS damage while the Paladin can keep up with enough damage and has so many other options.

Plus, the Paladin has a better and more reliable burst and can harm enemies that are resistant or immune to weapon damage while the Fighter has to rely on outside help.

To be fair, an EK can learn magic weapon and get brutal with just about anything.

R.Shackleford
2015-09-17, 06:07 PM
To be fair, an EK can learn magic weapon and get brutal with just about anything.

Still not compareable to the Paladin. The EK doesn't get enough of the right spells. Or enough spells. Also the EK tends to be MAD while the Pally needs Str/Con/Cha.

Ek needs Str or Dex/ Con/ Wis/ and Int. If you go low Int EK then you really limit your spell selection (and your cantrip + weapon attack is lowered).

Edit: The Paladin IS what the EK could have been.

JAL_1138
2015-09-17, 06:09 PM
Depends on party composition, to a large extent. Auras, added versatility from other spells, Smite rider-effects, and a bit of healing may be more important to your party than pure damage and maneuvers. On the other hand, pure damage, great survivability, and the effects of maneuvers may be more important to your party than auras, smites and other spells, depending on party composition (BMs work wonders in a party that has a rogue and a cleric-or-druid, for instance).

It's not really a question of which is better for the module but which fits the party best.

Edit: Not really a spoiler, but spoiler'd anyway--
There are sufficient magic weapons that which class can deal magical damage without them doesn't need to be a deciding factor.

Sigreid
2015-09-17, 06:09 PM
Still not compareable to the Paladin. The EK doesn't get enough of the right spells. Or enough spells. Also the EK tends to be MAD while the Pally needs Str/Con/Cha.

Ek needs Str or Dex/ Con/ Wis/ and Int. If you go low Int EK then you really limit your spell selection (and your cantrip + weapon attack is lowered).

Edit: The Paladin IS what the EK could have been.

Wasn't arguing that they were optimal for this particular setup, just that an EK fighter has the tools to give a good accounting of himself. As in my first response to the thread, I think a paladin is optimal.

Winzzy
2015-09-17, 06:37 PM
Thanks all for the input! I have been leaning towards the paladin and it feels good that I had the "right" inclination...

Also thanks for making my first post enjoyable, it will be nice to migrate over here from the WotC forums I think.