PDA

View Full Version : First exam for Zoology Lecture, forgot to buy scantrons...

MonkeySage
2015-09-17, 08:22 PM
I miss the good old days when teachers would provide the scantrons instead of requiring students to buy them. I have to wonder why this stuff isn't covered by financial aid when just about everything else(including an unwanted meal plan and an athletics program) is. Seriously, over half my tuition goes to services I don't even use, but they won't buy scantrons?

Killer Angel
2015-09-18, 05:46 AM
It's not so bad, if you don't have to bring your own toilet paper. And I'm not joking.

MonkeySage
2015-09-18, 09:17 AM
Toilet paper?

Fortunately, turns out my prof is a pretty cool guy; he expected students to forget their scantrons, so he provided them for the whole class. Just asked us to bring our own scantrons later. Immediately after class, went straight to the bookstore and bought a few.

Also gonna let this be a lesson- take more notes. XD "What compounds were used in the Miller-Urey experiment?" Lol, I forgot phosphorus.

warty goblin
2015-09-18, 09:19 AM
I miss the good old days when teachers would provide the scantrons instead of requiring students to buy them. I have to wonder why this stuff isn't covered by financial aid when just about everything else(including an unwanted meal plan and an athletics program) is. Seriously, over half my tuition goes to services I don't even use, but they won't buy scantrons?

Welcome to the modern college; where the students of today... finance the unnecessary administrators of today with the backbreaking student loans of tomorrow, and a quarter of the adjuncts are on food stamps1. If this upsets you, please feel free to complain to your university's Office of Ignoring Students, who value your input, because it lets them justify their new offices to the Dean of Irrelevant Programs.

1For real (http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/04/13/adjunct_pay_a_quarter_of_part_time_college_faculty _receive_public_assistance.html). Because screw the people actually teaching, Mr. Football Coach needs a new Porsche.

Killer Angel
2015-09-18, 09:27 AM
Toilet paper?

I must provide my daughter with toilet paper, because the school doesn't have enough money to give us not even this basic service.

Eldan
2015-09-18, 09:32 AM
What's a scan tron? I'm imagining some kind of fifties robot.

Cristo Meyers
2015-09-18, 09:36 AM

A standardized exam form. The exam is given on a separate sheet and the scantron has circles marked A-E that you fill in with a #2 pencil.

MonkeySage
2015-09-18, 09:45 AM
Something not have as cool as a 50s robot, unfortunately.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-19, 09:51 AM
Yes, I remember having my financial aid go to stuff that I never used once.

Still, buying exam forms is pretty brutal. Is this the U.S. you're talking about? I can't remember ever having to waste money on that, so if they've added that detail in the intervening years, I'm truly appalled.

Peelee
2015-09-19, 10:11 AM
Amazon, my friend. Pack of 100 for 7 bucks. I've become quite popular among several people in my classes for saving them on exam days (I make it a point to tell people I will not just give the same person one every exam day for a semester or anything), for 2 years now, and I'm still barely halfway through. Yeah, it sucks to have to buy them yourself, but seriously. 100 for $7. 2 day shipping

Grinner
2015-09-19, 10:36 AM

Adding on to what Cristo Meyers wrote, they enable instructors to automate the process of grading multiple choice tests instead of having a TA do it by hand.

Cristo Meyers
2015-09-19, 11:24 AM
Still, buying exam forms is pretty brutal. Is this the U.S. you're talking about? I can't remember ever having to waste money on that, so if they've added that detail in the intervening years, I'm truly appalled.

Must vary from school to school. I remember having to buy them, and I'm a good decade out of WIU now.