PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rogue Prestige Help

saxavarius
2015-09-17, 09:40 PM
Just started playing pathfinder (late to the party, I know) and I don't know much about the prestige classes and what ones are viable rogue choices.

I'm playing a tiefling unchained rogue if that makes much difference and am currently level 2, focusing on stealth stabbing with a minor in party face.

The playgrounds help is much appreciated.

legomaster00156
2015-09-17, 10:21 PM
You're really better off going Unchained Rogue 20 than going into a PrC. Actually, you're better going ANY base class all the way when it comes to Pathfinder. The one and only exception is the Mystic Theurge, which works ok if you need an arcane and divine caster, but have only one spellcaster. (If you have both, then ignore the Mystic Theurge, too.)

grarrrg
2015-09-17, 10:46 PM
You're really better off going Unchained Rogue 20 than going into a PrC. Actually, you're better going ANY base class all the way when it comes to Pathfinder. The one and only exception is the Mystic Theurge, which works ok if you need an arcane and divine caster, but have only one spellcaster. (If you have both, then ignore the Mystic Theurge, too.)

Partially disagree.
Most of the time PrCing (or Mutli-classing) is a bad choice.
Sometimes there is a PrC (or dip) that has an ability(s) you REALLY want and can't (easily) get from your base class, and/or sometimes the flavor just lines up perfectly (and the abilities aren't too bad either).
And Mystic Theurge is pretty cruddy, even in a party lacking any and all casting. There are enough single classes that can manage "all casting" well enough on their own.

As for "stealth stabbing, minor face"...yeah, you're probably fine with Unchained Rogue all the way.

Geddy2112
2015-09-17, 11:12 PM
Arcane trickster is a decent PrC, but you are not set up for it.

Assassin is a solid choice for being a sneaky stabber, and it levels your sneak attack and uncanny dodge.

Crimson assassin is a bit messy for your role, but might be worth looking into.

Guild agent would be a good way to increase your face role, while still putting some juice into your sneaky stabber archetype.

Stay away from guild poisoner-unless you are a race that can produce your own poison, they are generally awful. If you can poison somebody, you can probably just up and kill them anyways.

Master spy is a great choice, and probably your best for a faceish role. Still up's your sneak attacks too.

Psyren
2015-09-18, 04:02 AM
Pathfinder doesn't really encourage taking prestige classes the way 3.5 did. You're basically supposed to stay in your base class to 20 and you need a really good reason to leave, even for one or a few levels.

The short answer is that while there are a few PrCs for rogues, almost none of them are worth the favored class bonuses and rogue talents you would give up in order to take them.

Some of the more interesting choices include:

1) Shadowdancer: Easier to qualify for than in 3.5 and still grants HiPS on entry.
2) Red Mantis Assassin: add some spellcasting to your rogue.
3) Evangelist - continues progressing all your rogue features (sneak attack, talents etc) 9/10, gives you an SLA and some other toys as well in exchange.
4) Guild Agent: lets you trade some of your progression for a few benefits related to traps and trickery.

legomaster00156
2015-09-18, 07:30 AM
Partially disagree.
Most of the time PrCing (or Mutli-classing) is a bad choice.
Sometimes there is a PrC (or dip) that has an ability(s) you REALLY want and can't (easily) get from your base class, and/or sometimes the flavor just lines up perfectly (and the abilities aren't too bad either).
And Mystic Theurge is pretty cruddy, even in a party lacking any and all casting. There are enough single classes that can manage "all casting" well enough on their own.
I'm speaking from a purely mechanical perspective, not from a flavor one. I know that there's a lot of flavorful classes here (I'm even taking Darkfire Adept for a Conjurer I'm playing), but from a mechanics perspective, almost none of the prestige classes are worth it.
Regarding Mystic Theurge: yes, it is cruddy compared to any full caster. But if you're the only caster in your party, who are you comparing yourself to? The Fighter? You'll still outstrip him.

saxavarius
2015-09-18, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. After posting I did some leg work on the SRD and pretty much came to a similar conclusion: that the PRCs were more about flavor than continued power. May take a quick dip into Shadowdancer for HiPS; might stick around for a couple levels who knows.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-09-18, 04:20 PM
I dunno, a whole level and 2 terrible feats is a high cost to pay when you can get something just as good (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/hellcat-stealth)via feats (granted it comes one level later unless you retrain something)

grarrrg
2015-09-18, 09:13 PM
Regarding Mystic Theurge: yes, it is cruddy compared to any full caster. But if you're the only caster in your party, who are you comparing yourself to? The Fighter? You'll still outstrip him.

But why be ~2 spell levels behind when you can just take a (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch/archetypes/paizo---witch-archetypes/hedge-witch) single (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/razmiran-priest) class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/archetypes/paizo---arcanist-archetypes/white-mage) and be good (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf/ancient-lorekeeper-oracle-elf) to go?

Some of the more interesting choices include:

1) Shadowdancer: Easier to qualify for than in 3.5 and still grants HiPS on entry.
2) Red Mantis Assassin: add some spellcasting to your rogue.
3) Evangelist - continues progressing all your rogue features (sneak attack, talents etc) 9/10, gives you an SLA and some other toys as well in exchange.
4) Guild Agent: lets you trade some of your progression for a few benefits related to traps and trickery.

I'm still a fan of Halfling Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist). Goodly boost to all saves, and Sneak Damage on every AoO is solid.