PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A What if a Ranger Beastmasters pet goes out of sight?

Wakrob
2015-09-18, 04:33 AM
I have a Ranger Beastmaster with a Panther. I was on a roof directing my pet and firing arrows. The enemy climbed over a 10' wall and ran off out of my sight. I directed my Panther to chase.

So my panther easily climbed over the wall in chase (it has a climb speed). But now what? I have no real way to give it orders any more so what can my Panther do?
Seems like RAW it cant take actions. And if the DM allows it to continue Dashing and Attacking without me there while Im fighting elsewhere it seems like that would circumvent the restrictions keeping a pet class from being OP.

Anyone come across this situation?

Wakrob

Coidzor
2015-09-18, 04:59 AM
Well, if you're married to the idea that this balance is good and worth preserving, then your options are the creature ends up dead or missing(temporarily till it wanders back or captured or indefinitely lost until you can find it) whenever it goes uncontrolled or that it ends up sitting its ass down and waiting for your PC to show up after it fulfills its last round of instructions.

I suppose you could have it just be on autopilot and pursue a designated creature but not do anything else, but that'll end up with it dead or lost, unless your character can show up in short order.

Inevitability
2015-09-18, 02:20 PM
I'd rule the pet's behavior from that point on is focused on two main things.

1. Master's last commands.
2. Natural instincts.

I am pretty sure that chasing after someone is in line with both, so I'd say the panther goes after the enemy. However, in case someone had, say, a cat as companion, it might decide to stalk but not attack the target.