View Full Version : So what happens to souls in 5e

Ereus
2015-09-18, 06:36 AM
Do they get absorbed by a plane?
Do they become petitioners?
Or do we simply not know?

MinotaurWarrior
2015-09-18, 06:50 AM
Most go to Kelemvor's city on the Fugue Plane, have a little waiting period where devils try to bargain for their souls, hang out in the alignment-appropriate district of the city, and then get sent to the appropriate afterlife as determined by the celestial bureaucracy, unless they're "special." A high cleric of Tyr just goes to Tyr's realm.

After that, they become outsiders with descriptors appropriate to their type. Some of these have stats (I believe a lemure is supposed to be essentially what happens to commoners who go to hell), some don't.

This isn't really edition dependant, but is instead is based on the setting. 5e does, however, generally support this system - Kelemvor is listed as god of the dead, and the great wheel is back.

Ereus
2015-09-18, 07:41 AM
Most go to Kelemvor's city on the Fugue Plane, have a little waiting period where devils try to bargain for their souls, hang out in the alignment-appropriate district of the city, and then get sent to the appropriate afterlife as determined by the celestial bureaucracy, unless they're "special." A high cleric of Tyr just goes to Tyr's realm.

After that, they become outsiders with descriptors appropriate to their type. Some of these have stats (I believe a lemure is supposed to be essentially what happens to commoners who go to hell), some don't.

This isn't really edition dependant, but is instead is based on the setting. 5e does, however, generally support this system - Kelemvor is listed as god of the dead, and the great wheel is back.

What happens to outsiders when they die again? don't they get absorbed by there plane or something or am i mixing up pathfinder.

MinotaurWarrior
2015-09-18, 08:24 AM
What happens to outsiders when they die again? don't they get absorbed by there plane or something or am i mixing up pathfinder.

It depends on where they die, and their type. Like, a Dao gets reabsorbed and may eventually reincarnate as a Dao. Something like a Slaad or a Gith might just be totally destroyed, and I think that most outsiders, when on their non-native plane, can only be banished, not killed. So, if a Solar pops into archeron, it'll just get sent back to Celestia, not actually killed. Same for a devil in Arcadia.

As far as I know, the issue of killing someone, travelling to their afterlife, and then killing them in the afterlife, is never addressed. I believe a book provided rules for what it's like on the fugue plane, but I don't recall it addressing this issue.

Ereus
2015-09-18, 09:27 AM
It depends on where they die, and their type. Like, a Dao gets reabsorbed and may eventually reincarnate as a Dao. Something like a Slaad or a Gith might just be totally destroyed, and I think that most outsiders, when on their non-native plane, can only be banished, not killed. So, if a Solar pops into archeron, it'll just get sent back to Celestia, not actually killed. Same for a devil in Arcadia.

As far as I know, the issue of killing someone, travelling to their afterlife, and then killing them in the afterlife, is never addressed. I believe a book provided rules for what it's like on the fugue plane, but I don't recall it addressing this issue.

I am pretty sure it is or something....

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-18, 10:08 AM
So what happens to souls in 5e
I thought they went to Disney World.

TopCheese
2015-09-18, 10:37 AM
So what happens to souls in 5e
I thought they went to Disney World.

In a galaxy far far away in the future but somehow in the past.

Forum Explorer
2015-09-18, 11:12 AM
It's really setting dependent. 5e didn't change things in that regard.

Coidzor
2015-09-18, 01:44 PM

Depends on the setting. In the absence of updated setting information, go with the most recent stuff from past editions, I should think.

Or go with your favorite version from past edition versions of the setting you're using.

Vogonjeltz
2015-09-18, 03:30 PM

DMG indicates who goes where for the default setting in the descriptions of the outer planes. If you want to have a different format of universe it'd be incumbent on you to make the determination of where souls of the mortal dead go. (DMG page 43)