PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A casting cantrips at higher lvls

mealar
2015-09-18, 08:18 AM
I have a multiclassed warlock1/paladin4 and was wondering about eldritch blast, it says "two beams at 5th level" but is that just my warlock lvl or my total combined leves like with proficiency?

NNescio
2015-09-18, 08:27 AM
I have a multiclassed warlock1/paladin4 and was wondering about eldritch blast, it says "two beams at 5th level" but is that just my warlock lvl or my total combined leves like with proficiency?

Character levels. All combined.

Yes, that's why Warlock 2 is a popular dip for Charisma-based classes. Particularly the Sorcerer and the Paladin.

MinotaurWarrior
2015-09-18, 08:27 AM

Total levels. A barbarian 5 with spell sniper or magic initiate gets two blasts,even though he has 0 levels of warlock.

DemonSlayer6
2015-09-18, 08:37 AM
As has been stated, it's character level. Cantrip strength and proficiency bonus are dependent upon character or "total" level.

Caster Level is necessary for spell slots. And things like spells known depend on each independent Class Level.

Toadkiller
2015-09-18, 08:40 AM
Which, incidentally, and is one of my least favorite things about 5e. It really steals the warlocks thunder.

Breltar
2015-09-18, 09:29 AM
Which, incidentally, and is one of my least favorite things about 5e. It really steals the warlocks thunder.

How so? The warlock gets the most customization with their eldritch blast...

JackPhoenix
2015-09-18, 05:40 PM
Because you only need to dip 2 warlock levels for both Agonizing and Repelling Blast. Sure, you need one more invocation for the 300 feet range, but that's not nearly as useful as those two.

PoeticDwarf
2015-09-20, 01:42 AM

Total level!
I dare you taking another level warlock.

Mara
2015-09-20, 02:05 AM
Errata states that it is warlock level. But i hate the Errata in general. Paizo quality crap errata. What it does tell me is that when using the multiclass optional rule, the dm could change eb to be warlock level as a special consideration. Because IMMO: DM > what's in the book > dev tweet/online Errata/ect.

CNagy
2015-09-20, 07:15 AM
The errata is talking about the level requirements on Warlock invocations, not cantrips. Eldritch Blast, like all cantrips, keys off of your total character level.

georgie_leech
2015-09-20, 10:12 AM
The errata is talking about the level requirements on Warlock invocations, not cantrips. Eldritch Blast, like all cantrips, keys off of your total character level.

I know a read that at some point, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again. Do you know which page that rule is on?

CNagy
2015-09-20, 01:08 PM
I know a read that at some point, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again. Do you know which page that rule is on?

There is no specific rule in the book that states cantrips increase by total character level as opposed to specific class level. This was assumed by the general use of the word level and the fact that multiple ways exist for characters to get cantrips outside of their character classes then confirmed by Jeremy Crawford to be the case.

bid
2015-09-20, 01:21 PM
Basically, every mention of "level" in chapter 3 Classes is the class level. Any other chapter, it's the character level.