PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Must-Have Wizard feats?

The Vagabond
2015-09-18, 09:11 AM
In pathfinder, for a Wizard, what are some must-have wizard feats for any Diviner?

Continuing with this, what are some must have feats for a battlefield controler Wizard.

Edit: Yes, Sacred Geometry is Banned. Assume dazing spell is also banned.

Brova
2015-09-18, 09:15 AM
I don't do a lot of PF stuff, but IIRC there's a feat somewhere that lets you roll a bunch of dice, do some arithmetic, and then get free metamagic.

Geddy2112
2015-09-18, 09:19 AM
Improved initiative and improved familiar are absolute must-take feats for any wizard. Metamagic is important at higher levels, namely quicken spell. Leadership is one of the most broken feats in the game,even if your charisma is crap. However, it is usually a banned feat.

I don't do a lot of PF stuff, but IIRC there's a feat somewhere that lets you roll a bunch of dice, do some arithmetic, and then get free metamagic.
This is sacred geometry, which is usually banned by the DM because it can grind combat to a halt, in addition to being pretty freaking powerful.

2015-09-18, 09:22 AM

It's called Sacred Geometry. I can't even really sum it up very well without leaving stuff out, so here's a link. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry) IMO, this is a must-have feat for wizards played in play-by-post games, because you have more time to respond to stuff, giving you plenty of time to find a potential solution; subsequently, this is an absolute don't-take-it if you're playing face-to-face, because while there's bound to be a combination that gets you the result you want, finding it can be a chore. It's free metamagic, but it makes you work for it.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning: if you're absolutely dedicated to getting full use out of this feat (using it on every spell successfully), and you're getting into the higher levels, it can even slow down pbp games from how long the number crunching might take.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-18, 09:34 AM
In pathfinder, for a Wizard, what are some must-have wizard feats for any Diviner?

Continuing with this, what are some must have feats for a battlefield controler Wizard.

Well, considering how wizard saving throws are not very good (with only one strong save and a primary that's not dex, wis, or con), spending a few feats on those is a good idea. For example, Divine Defiance, or Deific Obedience (Abadar).

Doc_Maynot
2015-09-18, 09:50 AM
I recently ran a single BFC wizard against my party. He threw down an Umbral (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/umbral-spell-metamagic), Shadow Grasp (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/shadow-grasp-metamagic), Black Tentacles via Sacred Geometry (seriously, a must have for any caster that wants to use metamagic.)
Leaving the party in a situation where they were in darkness, had tentacles grabbing at them, and the very air was holding them back (for a total of a -8 penalty to Dex, mind you). He ran off shortly after the party's Automaton broke free of the darkness, and in a single swing took him to 4 hp.

stack
2015-09-18, 09:54 AM
Assuming sacred geometry gets banned, dazing spell can be fun. Costly, but fun.

Spell perfection is great at high levels.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 09:58 AM
It's called Sacred Geometry. I can't even really sum it up very well without leaving stuff out, so here's a link. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry) IMO, this is a must-have feat for wizards played in play-by-post games, because you have more time to respond to stuff, giving you plenty of time to find a potential solution; subsequently, this is an absolute don't-take-it if you're playing face-to-face, because while there's bound to be a combination that gets you the result you want, finding it can be a chore. It's free metamagic, but it makes you work for it.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning: if you're absolutely dedicated to getting full use out of this feat (using it on every spell successfully), and you're getting into the higher levels, it can even slow down pbp games from how long the number crunching might take.

Can Sorcerers make use of Sacred Geometry? I'll make my own thread about this, carry on.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-18, 10:00 AM

Speaking of costly, grab the Metamagic Master trait.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 10:14 AM

I like Toppling Spell, Fell Drain, and Energy Substitution [Sonic], myself. Sonic resists are rare, so you can get more mileage out of (for example) Scorching Ray when it's more of a Screeching Ray.

Fell Drain is just excellent. Even with the less lenient DM interpretations, you can stack crippling negative levels onto things fast enough to take a round or two out of most encounters.

Plus Fell Drain Magic Missile is a great group debuff for a 3rd level spell slot.

Spell perfection is great at high levels.

I'd probably use it on Polymorph Any Object, personally. Love that spell so, so much.

stack
2015-09-18, 10:21 AM
PF, so you have to port fell drain. Elemental spell (PF version of energy substitution) is +1, only allows 1 energy type per time you take the feat, only changes half the damage, and doesn't allow sonic. So it isn't great.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 10:42 AM
PF, so you have to port fell drain.

And when you can do that, it's a great feat, so it's worth asking.

Elemental spell (PF version of energy substitution) is +1, only allows 1 energy type per time you take the feat, only changes half the damage, and doesn't allow sonic. So it isn't great.

That's...yeesh, that's bad. Substitution of damage type without upping any of the crunch doesn't even warrant the extra level IMHO.

Serafina
2015-09-18, 11:47 AM

EDIT: It's worth mentioning: if you're absolutely dedicated to getting full use out of this feat (using it on every spell successfully), and you're getting into the higher levels, it can even slow down pbp games from how long the number crunching might take.Actually, the number crunching isn't that hard. With higher dice numbers, get into the ballpark of the number you want by multipliaction, then do a little bit of addition to get the number, and cancel all numbers out via ((A - B =0)x remaining numbers)).

And actually, the feat is NP-complete and has already been solved. IIRC, you are guaranteed to get a solution for a 9th-level spell if you have 16 or more dice. So you could simply treat your skill ranks in Knowledge (Engineering) as minimums for the spell levels.

Of course, the fact remains that the feat is horribly overpowered, giving you not only free metamagic for every spell you have at absolutely no cost (simply throw in a quicken once you can), but even gives you TWO other feats. That alone is reason enough to ban it.

2015-09-18, 11:56 AM
Actually, the number crunching isn't that hard. With higher dice numbers, get into the ballpark of the number you want by multipliaction, then do a little bit of addition to get the number, and cancel all numbers out via ((A - B =0)x remaining numbers)).

And actually, the feat is NP-complete and has already been solved. IIRC, you are guaranteed to get a solution for a 9th-level spell if you have 16 or more dice. So you could simply treat your skill ranks in Knowledge (Engineering) as minimums for the spell levels.

I'm aware of the mathematical tricks available, and that it's been proven that past a certain point, but convincing DMs within a reasonable time frame is a bit more difficult...and, as you've mentioned, that just turns the power upgrade from a maybe into a definitely yes, and free metamagic isn't that much better than time-consuming free metamagic.

Brova
2015-09-18, 12:04 PM
This is sacred geometry, which is usually banned by the DM because it can grind combat to a halt, in addition to being pretty freaking powerful.

That's what I recalled. It basically lets you be an Incantatrix without spending class levels except you have to do a bunch of math (or write a program that does that math for you). Also I recall it giving you the ability to take two metamagic feats at once. I would play that in every game ever, considering that I can probably program an app to find the solutions.

legomaster00156
2015-09-18, 12:19 PM
That's what I recalled. It basically lets you be an Incantatrix without spending class levels except you have to do a bunch of math (or write a program that does that math for you). Also I recall it giving you the ability to take two metamagic feats at once. I would play that in every game ever, considering that I can probably program an app to find the solutions.
You don't have to write a program. There are already programs written for it.

The Vagabond
2015-09-18, 12:39 PM
Yes, sacred geometry is banned. Simply too much of a hassle for everyone.

NeverSleeps
2015-09-22, 09:14 PM
Superior Summoning + Augmented Summoning + Summon (Your Alignment Here) Creature are great options if you grab all of the Summon Monster spells, which are fantastic spells.

legomaster00156
2015-09-22, 09:30 PM
Superior Summoning + Augmented Summoning + Summon (Your Alignment Here) Creature are great options if you grab all of the Summon Monster spells, which are fantastic spells.
Add to that Evolved Summon Monster for some nice little perks when you want them. Sacred Summons is also fantastic if you can get it (it requires an alignment Aura class feature), especially since when paired with Summon [Alignment] Monster it allows any monster of said alignment to appear and act the moment you use a standard action to cast a spell.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-09-22, 09:43 PM
PF, so you have to port fell drain. Elemental spell (PF version of energy substitution) is +1, only allows 1 energy type per time you take the feat, only changes half the damage, and doesn't allow sonic. So it isn't great.

It's actually an either/or situation. For example, taking Elemental Spell (Ice), you could make your fireball either all cold damage or half cold half fire.

Oneris
2015-09-22, 10:05 PM
How has Acadamae Graduate not been mentioned yet? Allows any non-conjuration-banning wizard to cast Summon spells as a standard action with only cost of a Fort save vs Fatigue.

legomaster00156
2015-09-22, 10:32 PM
How has Acadamae Graduate not been mentioned yet? Allows any non-conjuration-banning wizard to cast Summon spells as a standard action with only cost of a Fort save vs Fatigue.
Well, because Summon [Alignment] Monster and Sacred Summons, which do the same thing without a FORT save, have already been mentioned.

Sayt
2015-09-22, 10:52 PM
Staff-like Wand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-discoveries/arcane-discoveries-paizo/staff-like-wand) is pretty good. Running wands off your CL and Int for saves is handy for save based wands that just stop being relevant on normal wands that just don't get scaling DCs.

Kraken
2015-09-23, 12:13 AM
Extend spell hasn't been mentioned yet. Probably my most used metamagic feat.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-23, 12:55 AM
Craft Wondrous Item. It is your best friend.

Also, Quicken Spell.

Oneris
2015-09-23, 01:21 AM
Well, because Summon [Alignment] Monster and Sacred Summons, which do the same thing without a FORT save, have already been mentioned.

Wizards don't usually have an Aura, and some like the choice to summon both celestial and fiendish monsters.

Kurald Galain
2015-09-23, 01:37 AM

However, the options for Summon [Align] and for Sacred are rather limited, whereas Academae Graduate works with everything on the summon list.