PDA

View Full Version : Does Xykon know what to expect at the next gate

JesusCraig
2015-09-18, 09:22 AM
I was perusing the archives and noticed that in comic 196, Xykon says "Each of the [five others] built a stronghold atop one of the five gates, while the sixth -the halfing- recorded the locations in code in her diary" http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html

This implies that Xykon thinks he's heading to a gate guarded by Kraagor, while really he is heading for a gate guarded by Serini. Is it possible that this kind of change up could cause him to be less prepared?

Synesthesy
2015-09-18, 09:33 AM
I was perusing the archives and noticed that in comic 196, Xykon says "Each of the [five others] built a stronghold atop one of the five gates, while the sixth -the halfing- recorded the locations in code in her diary" http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html

This implies that Xykon thinks he's heading to a gate guarded by Kraagor, while really he is heading for a gate guarded by Serini. Is it possible that this kind of change up could cause him to be less prepared?

Maybe not. Shojo stated that Serini built her stronghold the way Kraagor would have.... Filling it with powerfull monster to respect his creed about phisical force... And probably Serini is death, so I don't think there is big difference: there would be some surprise, but no difference as Kraagor built it himself.

dancrilis
2015-09-18, 09:35 AM
It depends on what Serini wrote in her diary - but given that she seems to have wrote it after the gates were made which was after Kraagor died he likely has a fair idea of what is protecting it.

littlebum2002
2015-09-18, 09:46 AM
According to the timeline (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline#The_Comics), the Rifts were discovered 70 years ago, which is a lot for a human but not necessarily enough to have a halfling die of old age.

dancrilis
2015-09-18, 10:01 AM
According to the timeline (http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline#The_Comics), the Rifts were discovered 70 years ago, which is a lot for a human but not necessarily enough to have a halfling die of old age.

In fact given the average halfling lifespan of 152.5 it is likely that she has not died of old age.

factotum
2015-09-18, 10:09 AM
Who said she died of old age? She might have died from, I dunno, an epic sorcerer lich trying to take her diary from her... :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-18, 10:18 AM
Since there's some mystery about the Order of the Scribble, I always suspected there's a chance Sereni is alive. Having an actual Scribbler alive would help to clear up some matters, for example why the earlier party ended up divided by such intense hatred.

hroşila
2015-09-18, 10:29 AM
We're supposed to learn a lot more about the Order of the Scribble before the end, including what happened at Kraagor's Gate. Serini would be a likely source for that info, assuming there's an explanation for why no one can contact her and a way to keep her from overshadowing the OotS. Then again, maybe Xykon did kill her, and we'll simply get a closer look at her diary or whatever.

edit: ninja'd by... erm... 10 minutes?

Synesthesy
2015-09-18, 01:37 PM
In fact given the average halfling lifespan of 152.5 it is likely that she has not died of old age.

I always thought that halflings where more similar to humans, even less... my bad :smalltongue:

grandpheonix
2015-09-18, 01:47 PM
Im hoping for some epic shiz to happen there. Maybe a few dragons, more constructs, warewolves, or some other sweet monsters. Something that cant be raised from the dead and that CANT be killed by finger of death.

I dunno. Maybe a legit Terrasque?

3SecondCultist
2015-09-18, 02:47 PM
Having the Tarrasque go up against the Monster in the Darkness... :smalleek:

Emanick
2015-09-18, 03:36 PM

Awww, he wuvs his daddy!

Vinsfeld
2015-09-18, 04:03 PM
Who said she died of old age? She might have died from, I dunno, an epic sorcerer lich trying to take her diary from her... :smallwink:

He found the diary before Lirian's gate. So Xykon was still human, actually.

grandpheonix
2015-09-18, 04:07 PM
So still a necromancer sorc vs a halfling rogue? If she's still alive, I smell an Oscar.

Porthos
2015-09-18, 04:14 PM

Who says it's guarded by Serini? :smallconfused: This strip implies that she set a bunch of monsters loose and took off to parts unknown. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)

Now she certainly could have come back at some point. And she could be dead. But I wouldn't be quite so sure that Serini was there all the time once Kraagor's Tomb was built.

martianmister
2015-09-18, 04:27 PM

Nope. :smallconfused:

littlebum2002
2015-09-18, 05:00 PM

I doubt that, since it's already been pretty definitively concluded that the MitD is a baby Phrenic Tarrasque.

Was he?

Nope. :smallconfused:

Remember,

He didn't know about the other gates until AFTER killing Lirian, and then he went looking for them while leaving Redcloak at his own devices, at which point he found the diary and returned to Redecloak and the MitD

DataNinja
2015-09-18, 05:21 PM
I doubt that, since it's already been pretty definitively concluded that the MitD is a baby Phrenic Tarrasque.

Yo, spoilers! Some of us have been avoiding the MitD thread for a reason...

Emperordaniel
2015-09-18, 05:38 PM
And probably Serini is death,

...:eek:

I am become Serini, destroyer of Gates.

Olinser
2015-09-18, 05:51 PM
I said it like 4 years ago - Serini is actually Evil.

It would be hilarious if the OOTS shows up at the Gate and Xykon is in a cage while Serini lectures him.

Seward
2015-09-18, 05:54 PM
I don't think he knows...and this is why the OOTS has a chance.

Lets look at the track record on Xykon+Redcloak vs gates

L's Gate - she beat them straight up on the first try (see Start of Darkness)
D's Gate - even after beating the wizard, the wards were sufficient to prevent control
S's Gate - Soon had them beat, only Miko's idiocy prevented the plot from ending there
G's Gate - we'll never know. V neutered the defense by killing all the defenders

So 3 of four gates stymied them, and the fourth wasn't tested. I'm betting the halfling's got something really freaking nasty defending the final gate, enough to fully challenge Xykon and Redcloak until the Order can get there - possibly even hurting them enough to allow the Order to win.

Of course then there's the Thing in the Darkness, but then also O-Chul is on his way.

martianmister
2015-09-18, 07:12 PM
Remember,

He didn't know about the other gates until AFTER killing Lirian, and then he went looking for them while leaving Redcloak at his own devices, at which point he found the diary and returned to Redecloak and the MitD

Your point? :smallconfused:

dancrilis
2015-09-18, 07:17 PM

I believe they were supporting your point.

Statement: He found the diary before Lirian's gate. So Xykon was still human, actually
Follow up: Was he?
Follow up: Nope
Follow up: Remember ... <spoilered indication of the timeline>

Emanick
2015-09-18, 08:39 PM
Yo, spoilers! Some of us have been avoiding the MitD thread for a reason...

Don't worry, he was joking. The MitD is definitely not a baby Phrenic Tarrasque, for many reasons.

littlebum2002
2015-09-18, 09:14 PM

That Xykon was, in fact, a lich when he obtained the diary

martianmister
2015-09-18, 09:17 PM
That Xykon was, in fact, a lich when he obtained the diary

Then don't quote me with a "remember". :smallmad:

Emanick
2015-09-18, 10:10 PM
Then don't quote me with a "remember". :smallmad:

I'm pretty sure the "remember" was directed at Vinsfeld. It was definitely confusing; I had to read the post twice before I figured that out.

dps
2015-09-19, 05:51 PM
Who says it's guarded by Serini? :smallconfused: This strip implies that she set a bunch of monsters loose and took off to parts unknown. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)

Now she certainly could have come back at some point. And she could be dead. But I wouldn't be quite so sure that Serini was there all the time once Kraagor's Tomb was built.

That's always been my impression, as well.