PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sacred Geometry and Sorcerers

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 10:00 AM
Are Sorcerers compatible with the Sacred Geometry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry) feat?

Psyren
2015-09-18, 10:20 AM
It openly says they can use it :smalltongue:

(sorcerers and bards using this ability increase the spell's casting time by two categories)

One of the MM feats you apply should probably be Quicken.

Of course, all this is assuming your table even allows it. It is also banned in PFS.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 10:40 AM
It openly says they can use it :smalltongue:

One of the MM feats you apply should probably be Quicken.

Of course, all this is assuming your table even allows it. It is also banned in PFS.

The casting time going up, even with Quicken, makes it really unattractive for spontaneous casters IMHO.

2015-09-18, 11:51 AM
The casting time going up, even with Quicken, makes it really unattractive for spontaneous casters IMHO.

Quicken Spell actually works with Spontaneous casting in PF, making it a decent option for Sorcerers and the like. That said, the casting time is still increased if you're not using it.

Psyren
2015-09-18, 12:26 PM

You misread - if you apply Quicken it negates the increase entirely, letting you swift the entire shebang. But you have to factor the +4 increase into your math.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-18, 02:55 PM
You misread - if you apply Quicken it negates the increase entirely, letting you swift the entire shebang. But you have to factor the +4 increase into your math.

The Quicken puts a sharp +4 onto it to negate the time increase, which alters the math.

Ya know what would be awesome? If the feat description did the math ahead of you so this was usable in real time. Or just...I mean, it's a cool feat, but it's kinda impractical for tableplay.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-09-18, 03:03 PM
It is actually quite usable, it is even abusable, I can't recall the numbers off-hand but it was proved that as you levelled up the chance of failing to use the feat neared 0 and around level 12-ish it was all but impossible to fail.

Psyren
2015-09-18, 03:25 PM
The Quicken puts a sharp +4 onto it to negate the time increase, which alters the math.

Yes, that's... what I said :smallconfused:

But most would say the trade-off is worth it, particularly for spontaneous casters who can then add in other free metamagic all as a swift action.

Aldrakan
2015-09-18, 05:01 PM
Yeah, it's still good on a sorcerer, you can cast any spell up to level 5 quickened at no level increase. Edit: I should emphasize that you do need to be able to cast spells of the resulting spell's theoretical level, even though you don't actually use a spell slot of that level. So you need to wait a while before it becomes useful, but then you'd want to wait until you had a few ranks in engineering before getting it anyway. I mean it's much better on a prepared caster, but the power level isn't likely to be the problem, it's a ridiculously powerful feat. The problem is that unless your group really likes doing simple arithmetic puzzles every round, you're liable to severely annoy everyone at the table.

grarrrg
2015-09-18, 09:09 PM
It is actually quite usable, it is even abusable, I can't recall the numbers off-hand but it was proved that as you levelled up the chance of failing to use the feat neared 0 and around level 12-ish it was all but impossible to fail.

Character level 13 / Spell level 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426359-Fully-Evaluating-the-Sacred-Geometry-Feat) is when you first hit can't ever fail on anything ever. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17889602&postcount=131). Once you get 14 ranks you're good up to 9th level spells.

The feat is actually quite (ab)usable as early as level 4.
Character 4th/2nd level spells has a ~95% chance of success, and it only gets better and better from there.

ThinkMinty
2015-09-19, 10:16 AM
Yes, that's... what I said :smallconfused:

But most would say the trade-off is worth it, particularly for spontaneous casters who can then add in other free metamagic all as a swift action.

Yep. As soon as I figure out how to get a program that solves it for me, it'll be a viable feat to look into. Meshes well (if maybe redundantly, I dunno for sure) with Arcane Bloodline.

legomaster00156
2015-09-19, 10:19 AM
Yep. As soon as I figure out how to get a program that solves it for me, it'll be a viable feat to look into. Meshes well (if maybe redundantly, I dunno for sure) with Arcane Bloodline.
There's an Android app for it, though the app can't do parentheses.

martixy
2015-09-19, 07:28 PM
Oh boy... this feat looks like a game designer's drunken, sleep-deprived, on-crack brain-fart.

But I love it!

I'd allow usage of exponentiation and calculus, because f*ck it, why not. :smallbiggrin:

That is so not as fun as writing one yourself.
There's something about that floating in my head, but I can't pin it down now. The words "dynamic programming" keep coming to me. Eh... that's a task for another time. I'm off to a wedding!

ThinkMinty
2015-09-19, 09:26 PM
That is so not as fun as writing one yourself.
There's something about that floating in my head, but I can't pin it down now. The words "dynamic programming" keep coming to me. Eh... that's a task for another time. I'm off to a wedding!

Not everyone here is a programmer, and I'm pre-emptively rejecting the assumption that I should be or that having primarily non-STEM interests somehow makes me an inferior person, in case either of those is a potential follow-up.

Aldrakan
2015-09-19, 10:08 PM
Oh boy... this feat looks like a game designer's drunken, sleep-deprived, on-crack brain-fart.

But I love it!

I'd allow usage of exponentiation and calculus, because f*ck it, why not. :smallbiggrin:

Be sure to combine it with Arithmancy, the other "what the hell is wrong with you" Pathfinder spell-altering general feat. It's nothing like as good or annoying as Sacred Geometry (you calculate the digital root of the spell from its name, making the difficulty totally unrelated to the power of the spell, but you only have to do it once ever for each spell, and all it does it give a + or -1 to the DC), but you're not complete as a math mage until you have it.