PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Becoming the Paladin/Character Study

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 11:55 AM
Good Day my fellow companions.

I wish to seek out assistance from the community in building a new character. I wish to create a Paladin of Devotion. I have a build in mind so I do not require much help on that end. What I require assistance with instead, is becoming the character. I role-play my other two characters quite heavily and get into their heads quite well but, being the rapscallion that I am, require some assistance with jumping the border to the good side.

We operate in the Forgotten realms setting. Thus far I have not yet chosen a Deity.

Please let me know your honest thoughts as I do, seriously, require assistance.

Sincerely not being a troll, seriously looking for actual ideas.

Items I would like to work on:

1. What god should I choose?
a. Would this be affected by my race?
b. Would this be affected by my background

2. Once a god is chosen, are there actual tenets to follow or is it free form?
a. If it is free form, what would make a good code for a Paladin of Devotion?
b. How would you, as a paladin, address situations of questionable morality?

3. In your experience, as in you people responding, are other groups okay dealing with a paladin in the party?

We tend to favor fighters, rogues, and spell-casters usually.

Thank you everyone.

If I have other questions/ideas, I'll bounce em off of you.

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-18, 12:05 PM
I wish to create a Paladin of Devotion. I have a build in mind so I do not require much help on that end.

What I require assistance with instead, is becoming the character. I role-play my other two characters quite heavily and get into their heads quite well but, being the rapscallion that I am, require some assistance with jumping the border to the good side.

We operate in the Forgotten realms setting. Thus far I have not yet chosen a Deity.

Before going any further, please explain what you have already chosen for
Race
Background

Given that this will color a comprehensive answer.

As to question 2:
Tenets: Ask your DM once you have narrowed your choice down to a few of the FR deities.
a. Start with the movie Dragonheart's code of knighthood, and work from there. Unless you have a deity, really, a code isn't worth trying to create.
b. Depends on the situation. Lawful stupid went the way of the plains buffalo when 5e was released. Don't play lawful stupid.

If you usually play a thief, not a rogue, a paladin will be a nice change of pace. Embrace your inner hero.

Ultimate_Coffee
2015-09-18, 12:25 PM

This is heavily dependent on your character. As a Paladin of Devotion, nothing locks you into a specific god... but if you want something that fits the Oath of Devotion fairly well, Helm, god of protection is a pretty good choice.

Could be. Most races have preferred deities... However, any race can warship any deity.

Depends on your background. At some point in your backstory, you decided to follow this god. When were you introduced to the faith? Why did this particular god's tenants resound well with you?

The gods do not have particular tenants that their worshippers must follow. If you feel that you want one, talk with your DM about working something out to fit the god that you choose.

Paladin of Devotion has a set of Tenets they must follow. This is covered in the PHB. Basically, no lying, no cheating, help others, and be honorable and compassionate.

This varies from situation to situation. Nothing in your tenats require you to enforce them on others however, so if your party is doing something of questionable morality then you are free to look the other way. Depends on the severity of the situation and your character's personality however...

3. In your experience, as in you people responding, are other groups okay dealing with a paladin in the party?

Paladin's work fine the most parties that I have played in. They are received well when they are willing to look the other way if your actions are questionable but not harmful. Very annoying if they try to force their tenats on the whole party.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 12:45 PM
This is heavily dependent on your character. As a Paladin of Devotion, nothing locks you into a specific god... but if you want something that fits the Oath of Devotion fairly well, Helm, god of protection is a pretty good choice.

Could be. Most races have preferred deities... However, any race can warship any deity.

Depends on your background. At some point in your backstory, you decided to follow this god. When were you introduced to the faith? Why did this particular god's tenants resound well with you?

The gods do not have particular tenants that their worshippers must follow. If you feel that you want one, talk with your DM about working something out to fit the god that you choose.

Paladin of Devotion has a set of Tenets they must follow. This is covered in the PHB. Basically, no lying, no cheating, help others, and be honorable and compassionate.

This varies from situation to situation. Nothing in your tenats require you to enforce them on others however, so if your party is doing something of questionable morality then you are free to look the other way. Depends on the severity of the situation and your character's personality however...

Paladin's work fine the most parties that I have played in. They are received well when they are willing to look the other way if your actions are questionable but not harmful. Very annoying if they try to force their tenats on the whole party.

Thank you very much for your input. Thoughts on race are currently human or half-elf. Thoughts? Also debating on Mountain dwarf.

Daishain
2015-09-18, 12:55 PM
Most of the old style paladins, who are now devotion paladins, follow Helm. This is however a trend, not anything resembling a requirement. A god should be chosen because that god represents the ideals of the character. Though there are no restrictions, races tend to have a preferred deity. For instance many, though not necessarily most, elves choose to serve Correllon, the deity responsible for their creation.

Your god has an agenda and a preferred means of carrying it out. You are not a priest of that god, so you are not required to actively do stuff in your gods name or follow specific tenets. However, helping your deity's agenda along is probably a good idea, and doing stuff your god is opposed to (at least while still proclaiming their name) is likely to stir up trouble.

As a paladin, you do have to follow the tenets of devotion, they're found in the PHB. Your character's interpretation of that oath is likely to be colored by their own personal outlook, including how they wish to please their deity. For instance, a paladin of Helm is likely to place particular importance on their duty to protect others.

Devotion paladins tend to favor lawful alignments. When faced with an ethical dillemna, they tend to gravitate towards a solution that at least resembles whatever code of behavior they think applies. That may be the law of the land, what they perceive of as the law of their deity, or even a personal code that they've developed over the years. This trend is what gave them the appellation of 'lawful stupid alignment', but whether or not your character fits that term is entirely up to you. Come across a situation that a personal code fails to apply to, and a thinking man will set out to amend the code rather than being lost or trying to brute force it.

Edit:
Mechanically speaking, half elves make for fantastic paladins. V humans help get nice feat combos rolling early (had a lot of fun with polearm master+sentinel on my bardiche wielding ancients paladin) Not so much a fan of dwarves, they don't offer that much.

Fluff speaking, humans are ubiquitous. Half elves are nigh perfect paladin material (though I would expect them to trend towards ancients more than devotion). Dwarves are practically made of devotion.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 01:18 PM
Before going any further, please explain what you have already chosen for
Race
Background

Given that this will color a comprehensive answer.

As to question 2:
Tenets: Ask your DM once you have narrowed your choice down to a few of the FR deities.
a. Start with the movie Dragonheart's code of knighthood, and work from there. Unless you have a deity, really, a code isn't worth trying to create.
b. Depends on the situation. Lawful stupid went the way of the plains buffalo when 5e was released. Don't play lawful stupid.

If you usually play a thief, not a rogue, a paladin will be a nice change of pace. Embrace your inner hero.

Gasp, The first one to understand me name! Oh noes! Ah, I was wondering when someone would comment on it.

I'm restricted to 27 point buy so I was going to go with either:

Mountain Dwarf
Str: 16
Dex: 10
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 15

Or Half-Elf
Str: 15
Dex: 10
Con: 15
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 16

I find myself leaning slightly more in favor of the dwarf for tool prof and nightvision but other than that there's not much difference stat wise. Both are pretty well spec'd for a Paladin.

For a background I will either be doing Soldier for the dwarf or clergy member for the Half-Elf. Then again, I suppose soldier would work for both.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 01:29 PM
Most of the old style paladins, who are now devotion paladins, follow Helm. This is however a trend, not anything resembling a requirement. A god should be chosen because that god represents the ideals of the character. Though there are no restrictions, races tend to have a preferred deity. For instance many, though not necessarily most, elves choose to serve Correllon, the deity responsible for their creation.

Your god has an agenda and a preferred means of carrying it out. You are not a priest of that god, so you are not required to actively do stuff in your gods name or follow specific tenets. However, helping your deity's agenda along is probably a good idea, and doing stuff your god is opposed to (at least while still proclaiming their name) is likely to stir up trouble.

As a paladin, you do have to follow the tenets of devotion, they're found in the PHB. Your character's interpretation of that oath is likely to be colored by their own personal outlook, including how they wish to please their deity. For instance, a paladin of Helm is likely to place particular importance on their duty to protect others.

Devotion paladins tend to favor lawful alignments. When faced with an ethical dillemna, they tend to gravitate towards a solution that at least resembles whatever code of behavior they think applies. That may be the law of the land, what they perceive of as the law of their deity, or even a personal code that they've developed over the years. This trend is what gave them the appellation of 'lawful stupid alignment', but whether or not your character fits that term is entirely up to you. Come across a situation that a personal code fails to apply to, and a thinking man will set out to amend the code rather than being lost or trying to brute force it.

Edit:
Mechanically speaking, half elves make for fantastic paladins. V humans help get nice feat combos rolling early (had a lot of fun with polearm master+sentinel on my bardiche wielding ancients paladin) Not so much a fan of dwarves, they don't offer that much.

Fluff speaking, humans are ubiquitous. Half elves are nigh perfect paladin material (though I would expect them to trend towards ancients more than devotion). Dwarves are practically made of devotion.

May I ask why you don't think Dwarves offer much mechanically speaking? They automatically get darkvision and a tool proficiency. Also their stats line up fairly well too.

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-18, 01:40 PM
Gasp, The first one to understand me name! Oh noes! Ah, I was wondering when someone would comment on it.

I'm restricted to 27 point buy so I was going to go with either:

For a background I will either be doing Soldier for the dwarf or clergy member for the Half-Elf.
I would recommend the Half Elf.
Charisma is your spell stat.
It also has a lot of RP utility depending no how you go about encouraging others, including NPCs, to aid and assist you in various quests and missions in the name of righteousness. If you are heavy RP, charisma is your friend.

You can always add an ASI +1 point to str if you need it.

Have you considered the Sailor background?
Just a thought.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 01:45 PM
I would recommend the Half Elf.
Charisma is your spell stat.
It also has a lot of RP utility depending no how you go about encouraging others, including NPCs, to aid and assist you in various quests and missions in the name of righteousness. If you are heavy RP, charisma is your friend.

You can always add an ASI +1 point to str if you need it.

Have you considered the Sailor background?
Just a thought.

I took a look at it but it just seemed kind of odd. What are your thoughts on it?

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-18, 02:54 PM
I took a look at it but it just seemed kind of odd. What are your thoughts on it?Odd? Not in the least.

Sailors get around, see a bit more of the world. They are used to travel.

Sailors accrue handy abilities: Perception and Athletics. (Both good for adventuring)

Sailors can get cheaper passage on boats/ships. (Eventually, don't all of us get confronted with some sort of maritime / aquatic adventure?)

Sailors get navigation tools proficiency (no getting lost at sea, see above!)

Sailor can get the variant background: Pirate! That's goodness right there, all by itself, but think of your RP potential.
The Repentant Pirate!
Wants to atone for some of the less than nice things he did in that somewhat checkered past. There's no zealot like a convert ... you can take that angle ... it could work ... if you want it to.

A Sailor to me seems a very good background to adventuring, since going to sea on boats and ships is an adventure already.

Full Disclosure: spent a few years in the Navy, so there may be some bias here. And ... Pirates!

Oh, and cool tattoos!

Soldier isn't a bad background, nor is Folk Hero ... but that depends.

What do You want Your backstory to be?

Ouranos
2015-09-18, 03:03 PM
Think of the WHY does he adventure. Before coming up with Codes, wondering about deity, all that, think of who he is going to be. My paladin is part Dragon, so of course, he's devoted to Bahamut. But he was raised in a Monastery, loves books and knowledge, and until he was an adult right and wrong were stories he was told or read about. Once out into the world he was viewed as hard and harsh for being nearly unable to forgive those who had done wrong. Over our adventures, he's grown softer and friendlier, more open to people. And most of these personality traits were far more important than having a Code of Ethics or what his God wanted from him.

Talyn
2015-09-18, 03:03 PM
If you take the Sailor background, you ought to pick a Sea-associated god or at least come up with a good reason how you went from "on board ships all the time" to "a guy who wears heavy armor that would impede his ability to swim."

Good aligned ocean deities in the Forgotten Realms? Hmm. There's that guy who is the protector of sailors, right? A lesser god, sworn enemy of Umberlee and Talos, his whole shtick is he raises his shield over sailors to keep off the storms. Valkoth, or something like that.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 03:12 PM
Odd? Not in the least.

Sailors get around, see a bit more of the world. They are used to travel.

Sailors accrue handy abilities: Perception and Athletics. (Both good for adventuring)

Sailors can get cheaper passage on boats/ships. (Eventually, don't all of us get confronted with some sort of maritime / aquatic adventure?)

Sailors get navigation tools proficiency (no getting lost at sea, see above!)

Sailor can get the variant background: Pirate! That's goodness right there, all by itself, but think of your RP potential.
The Repentant Pirate!
Wants to atone for some of the less than nice things he did in that somewhat checkered past. There's no zealot like a convert ... you can take that angle ... it could work ... if you want it to.

A Sailor to me seems a very good background to adventuring, since going to sea on boats and ships is an adventure already.

Full Disclosure: spent a few years in the Navy, so there may be some bias here. And ... Pirates!

Oh, and cool tattoos!

Soldier isn't a bad background, nor is Folk Hero ... but that depends.

What do You want Your backstory to be?

To be honest, I've never really played a good character before so I don't know. 3.0/3.5 I always did neutral or evil characters.

Currently in 5.0 I have a rapscallion of a rogue that I'm fond of named Milo Alderlead. Criminal(Fence) background. Parents died due to bickering and war among the nobles. Left him and his older sister in the care of their aunt. Went to Mulmaster to learn and spread their wings. Joined the Zhentarim for some easy coin. Big sister ended up dying. Milo is now very paranoid and not at all a good person in trying to fulfill his roles. Loves the Zhent people, who he and his family are members of. Willing to do anything to see his people on top and see some changes to the Zhentarim, Milo is a wily little bugger.

Other than that I have Kortar'Thak Clancleaver. Half-Orc Barbarian. Outlander. Raised by Orcs and a few other half-orcs, he's prone to violence, dislikes most other humanoid races, prefer the company of nature and wildlife to that of "Civilized society". Went very much with a native american esque theme to his tribe. Hunters/gatherers. Use most if not all of what they kill. Live with the wild instead of seperate from it. Very much dislikes the other Half-orc, raised by humans. Clan is dead and Kortar'Thak wants to either rebuild his clan, or see their name go down in fame/infamy. Only played him once and haven't had much chance to flesh him out yet.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-18, 03:19 PM
Think of the WHY does he adventure. Before coming up with Codes, wondering about deity, all that, think of who he is going to be. My paladin is part Dragon, so of course, he's devoted to Bahamut. But he was raised in a Monastery, loves books and knowledge, and until he was an adult right and wrong were stories he was told or read about. Once out into the world he was viewed as hard and harsh for being nearly unable to forgive those who had done wrong. Over our adventures, he's grown softer and friendlier, more open to people. And most of these personality traits were far more important than having a Code of Ethics or what his God wanted from him.

That's the shtick. I can't think of a backstory from a good perspective. Being a lawful/neutral "Evil" person myself in real life, I tend to have difficulties thinking in the stance of "good" people. Thus I also have difficulties thinking along the lines of character development for good characters. I cannot myself rationalize a lawful "good" lifestyle, which is particularly why I now appreciate the challenge that has been put before me.

Please note, quotations are not to throw insults. It is merely the way I view myself versus other people in the world at times. I have nothing against good people I just recognize that I can hardly be counted among their number.

Okay since when has amongst no longer been a word? Auto correct is starting to annoy me... Ah I see. Amongst is the archaic version of among in American English. Side note: Born a foreigner so please forgive me if I misspell certain words.

Mjolnirbear
2015-09-18, 04:33 PM
Dragonborn are also a good choice for paladin, stat-wise. And the breath weapon will be welcome considering the lack of AoE paladins get.

Historically a paladin dealt with what people deserve, judicially speaking. Innocents deserve protection. Criminals deserve jail. This who actively serve evil goals are either treated as criminals or wiped out depending on the severity of their actions.

As a lawful good you likely use the law to help people. You may use the law to punish, or stand aside if you think the illegal act need not be punished (stealing food to feed your family). It's hard for you to ignore the law, though, so many paladins follow instead the law of their god or an honour code instead because many mortal legal systems are a means to tyranny.

You can be all morality police, or 'an it harm none, do what thou wilt'. Judgemental, or not. Stern, or cheerful.

Basically anything you want. Alignment is only a suggestion and as long as you follow the Devotion tenets you're good.

Dimolyth
2015-09-18, 05:45 PM
That's the shtick. I can't think of a backstory from a good perspective. Being a lawful/neutral "Evil" person myself in real life, I tend to have difficulties thinking in the stance of "good" people. Thus I also have difficulties thinking along the lines of character development for good characters. I cannot myself rationalize a lawful "good" lifestyle, which is particularly why I now appreciate the challenge that has been put before me.

Please note, quotations are not to throw insults. It is merely the way I view myself versus other people in the world at times. I have nothing against good people I just recognize that I can hardly be counted among their number.

Okay since when has amongst no longer been a word? Auto correct is starting to annoy me... Ah I see. Amongst is the archaic version of among in American English. Side note: Born a foreigner so please forgive me if I misspell certain words.

If you have problems with viewing your character from good perspective... Solve these problems in-character!
You just can imagine a character who wants to prove, that he is good enough. Prove to his family (for a dwarf from noble paladin parents), or prove to someone he loves (half-elf, human, or whatever race), or prove to entire world (for tiefling or drow trying to become a member of good society).
So, nobody looks at you as at a "bright good paladin". Even you have doubts about it.
But for each decision you try to figure out the most righteous solution - and follow it to the end. So, you can basically apply your own logic for a character who makes decisions you would never make.

Then, for character details - that would be your taste.
Does it red-dragon dragonborn descendant, who follows Bahamut path to prove he is not anything like his father?
Or it is uncertain and sometimes a bit egoistic dwarf, who want to prove he is as righteous, as his ancestors?
Or that is just a teenager commonner human, who was inspired by an adventuring she-paladin, and take a mantle of devotion to be like her, and to marry her some day?
Or it is a half-orc, who wants to prove that his strengh could be controlled by protecting people from raging hordes of orcs?
There are plenty of options, once you decide to be a paladin, who wants to be good, but who is not really good.

(End yes, English is also my third language. You are really not alone here)

bid
2015-09-18, 06:48 PM
Hah, missed it!

I think your dwarf point array is about the best you get get, but I disagree on the Str/Con 15. You can 16/14 them without loss.

I see backgrounds as sample of what you can do. I would pick and choose across them depending on how you want to RP. Taking Insight/Persuasion from guild artisan along with the folk hero fluff would be pretty classical.

It's easy to be a goody-2-shoe, but you have to think which weakness you will bring to the table. Will you waste a day helping an old farmer, will you meddle in noble's affairs, will you bring liars to justice, will you disregard the people's suffering because you have a higher purpose? How you will fail is sometimes more interesting than how you will succeed.

Ouranos
2015-09-18, 09:41 PM
If you want a good way to practice, go play the original Knights of the Old Republic Star Wars game and follow the good guy (light side) choices all the way. I know, it's kinda absurd, but it gives you an idea of what over-the-top good guys are.

endur
2015-09-18, 11:42 PM
Role playing a paladin is both easier and harder than role-playing any other class.

On the plus side, there is more support for role-playing with this class (code, etc.) than other classes receive.

On the other hand, some people see that support as restrictions, and they can't handle being restricted in their role playing.

Examples of historical paladins: Knights with the code of chivalry, Knights Templar, etc.

Examples of fictional paladins: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

Examples of Modern day paladins: Military officers, Police officers, etc.

Most comic book super heroes could qualify as paladins, although there is a world of difference between Batman, Spiderman, The Punisher, and Superman.

Kalmeira
2015-09-19, 12:27 AM
One thing I would like to point out that a lot of people have incorrect is that in Faerun, in order to worship a racial deity like Corellon Larethian or Moradin, you had to be a member of that race (including half-breeds). This rule does not apply to most, if not all, non-Faerun settings. Non racial deities are open to all races.
I would suggest choosing a race that you find interesting, instead of focusing on which attribute bonuses it provides. One idea that may be up your ally is a Tiefling. Playing a race that has to struggle with an inherent evil side could be interesting.

To play a lawful character:
Keep your word.
Try to avoid randomness or underhandedness.
Follow the local laws.

To play a good character:
Try to think of how your actions will benefit others.
Do not try to rationalize something as "good" to get away with it.
Consider trying for a peaceful solution as opposed to a violent one.

napoleon_in_rag
2015-09-19, 11:27 AM

I would suggest reading George R. R. Martin's "The Hedge Knight" for a knightly code of conduct. Takes place in the same world as "Game of Thrones". Probably my favorite single work by him.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11970747-the-hedge-knight

Temperjoke
2015-09-19, 11:36 AM
Not intending to sidetrack things, but do you actually have to have a specific deity as a paladin?

BoutsofInsanity
2015-09-19, 01:01 PM
My friend, I can't believe no one has said anything yet. This is what it means to be a Paladin.

You are a hero. When people need help, and they are crying and in pain. You arrive. Dictated by a clap of thunder and a burst of sunlight from Helm himself. You are a balm. You cure disease, remove ailments. A kind word here, a pat on the back for the farmer working hard who doesn't know if he can go all. You encourage him to continue, that yes, there is good in this world. Everyday, you see it.

You have the ability to convert men doing cruel and unkind acts to good. By deed, and example, you inspire those around you with a few kind words and a fatherly gaze, telling them that they can do better. You leave everywhere you go better then you found it.

But there is a darkness that lurks within you. By the fact you have choice and emotions, you also fear yourself. Because everyday you see evil. It's like an odor that exists upon people around you. A repugnant, sour rotting smell, that you can see. Because you didn't necessarily set out to be a Paladin. But your god chose you! And cursed you with this responsibility, to be able to see and identify those who are evil. And you walk past them everyday. Watching good men hang and evil misers walk free. And it burns inside you. But you control yourself, because you must set the example. Because if you fall, you only curse someone else with your burden, and that would be selfish.

But there is a bright side. You don't answer the law. You answer to good. And by that, you are the law. Provided you have maintained a reputation of justice and mercy, you can override the law by only your words. People trust you, officials beg you to officiate judgement, because of your wisdom and grace. And should someone abuse the law, which is there to protect others, well, you serve a higher power, and woe be those who abuse that which protects people.

Death, does not scare you. Pain, you are awaited in Valhalla, you aren't worried. Falling, you look forward to it. Because woe be to the being that tempts you with falling. Because, that's the question. Is this quest, or purpose great enough, worthy enough for you to remove those shackles of code and conduct? Is this quest so worldshattering important that you would sacrifice all you have to accomplish that goal? Because if so, it is a mighty quest indeed, worthy of any songbooks and histories. And if the fetters come off? You will grab any power on the way down while falling to accomplish your goal.

Woe be to the foe that mocks the Paladins mercy and kindness. Because underneath that which has mercy and kindness is someone made of steel, grit and bone. And the Paladin has no patience for evil. They get one chance to surrender. Two if you feel generous. But they get one chance, surrender or die. No second chances, no tricks. Throw yourself on my mercy and the law, or throw yourself on my sword. But tempt me not, for I am resolute, I am a Paladin.

Mjolnirbear
2015-09-19, 01:02 PM
No. You don't even need a specific deity as a cleric. Your magic is faith-based but in the paladin it's faith in the tenets of your oath. For a cleric it can be an idea (Justice) or a philosophy (Bhuddism).

Hmmm, that would be a cool new kind of cleric...an all-faiths one ;)

Kalmeira
2015-09-19, 01:52 PM
No. You don't even need a specific deity as a cleric. Your magic is faith-based but in the paladin it's faith in the tenets of your oath. For a cleric it can be an idea (Justice) or a philosophy (Bhuddism).

If the campaign is Faerun, all Divine spellcasters must worship a deity. It's part of the setting, even Drizzt (a ranger) worships Meilikki.
On the concept of Deities, While Helm is a pretty standard choice consider some of these:
Sune, Goddess of love, beauty, and passion
-Her clerics are typically female, while her knights are mostly male. Your character could be devoted to spreading love and beauty throughout the lands while destroy those whose bodies are as ugly as their hearts.
Ilmater, God of Endurance, suffering, Martyrdom, and perseverance.
-Ilmater's followers try to alleviate the suffering of others by taking it on themselves.
Torm, God of Duty, loyalty, obediance, and paladins.
-Literally the god of paladins.

If you haven't, consider looking at the descriptions of the gods in the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting or the Forgotten Realms Wiki for a better idea of what each one stands for, as the information in the 5e PHB is lacking.

napoleon_in_rag
2015-09-19, 02:04 PM

It's completely campaign dependent. Some campaigns a cleric represent all gods of a certain alignment (All the good Gods). Some campaigns, a cleric represents a specific deity. I haven't played FR in a while but in the past, a cleric chose a specific deity to follow that determined that cleric's spells.

Paladin's are usually more alignment based than deity based. But its up to the DM.

endur
2015-09-20, 11:25 AM
This is what it means to be a Paladin.

<Awesome description snipped>

That was fantastic.

Eugoraton Feiht
2015-09-21, 01:22 PM
My friend, I can't believe no one has said anything yet. This is what it means to be a Paladin.

You are a hero. When people need help, and they are crying and in pain. You arrive. Dictated by a clap of thunder and a burst of sunlight from Helm himself. You are a balm. You cure disease, remove ailments. A kind word here, a pat on the back for the farmer working hard who doesn't know if he can go all. You encourage him to continue, that yes, there is good in this world. Everyday, you see it.

You have the ability to convert men doing cruel and unkind acts to good. By deed, and example, you inspire those around you with a few kind words and a fatherly gaze, telling them that they can do better. You leave everywhere you go better then you found it.

But there is a darkness that lurks within you. By the fact you have choice and emotions, you also fear yourself. Because everyday you see evil. It's like an odor that exists upon people around you. A repugnant, sour rotting smell, that you can see. Because you didn't necessarily set out to be a Paladin. But your god chose you! And cursed you with this responsibility, to be able to see and identify those who are evil. And you walk past them everyday. Watching good men hang and evil misers walk free. And it burns inside you. But you control yourself, because you must set the example. Because if you fall, you only curse someone else with your burden, and that would be selfish.

But there is a bright side. You don't answer the law. You answer to good. And by that, you are the law. Provided you have maintained a reputation of justice and mercy, you can override the law by only your words. People trust you, officials beg you to officiate judgement, because of your wisdom and grace. And should someone abuse the law, which is there to protect others, well, you serve a higher power, and woe be those who abuse that which protects people.

Death, does not scare you. Pain, you are awaited in Valhalla, you aren't worried. Falling, you look forward to it. Because woe be to the being that tempts you with falling. Because, that's the question. Is this quest, or purpose great enough, worthy enough for you to remove those shackles of code and conduct? Is this quest so worldshattering important that you would sacrifice all you have to accomplish that goal? Because if so, it is a mighty quest indeed, worthy of any songbooks and histories. And if the fetters come off? You will grab any power on the way down while falling to accomplish your goal.

Woe be to the foe that mocks the Paladins mercy and kindness. Because underneath that which has mercy and kindness is someone made of steel, grit and bone. And the Paladin has no patience for evil. They get one chance to surrender. Two if you feel generous. But they get one chance, surrender or die. No second chances, no tricks. Throw yourself on my mercy and the law, or throw yourself on my sword. But tempt me not, for I am resolute, I am a Paladin.

This is can work with. This is really good. Thank you sir.

Strill
2015-09-21, 02:28 PM
Examples of historical paladins: Knights with the code of chivalry, Knights Templar, etc.Really? You try to think of historical Paladins, and you didn't even think of THE Paladins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin)? RIP History.

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-21, 02:32 PM
Really? You try to think of historical Paladins, and you didn't even think of THE Paladins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paladin)? RIP History. Indeed.

Ogier the Dane (one of Charlamegne's Paladins) was featured in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which book was an influence on Gary Gygax for both the "law - chaos" duality, and for what a Paladin ought to be like.

JoeJ
2015-09-21, 03:11 PM
Indeed.

Ogier the Dane (one of Charlamegne's Paladins) was featured in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, which book was an influence on Gary Gygax for both the "law - chaos" duality, and for what a Paladin ought to be like.

As well as providing the inspiration for the regenerating D&D troll. But I thought the law-chaos opposition came from Moorcock?

Estrillian
2015-09-21, 04:02 PM
I'd say it was worth remembering that you don't have to be a fanatic to be a Paladin, you just have to have a set of beliefs that you hold deeply and powerfully. You don't have to be pushing them on people, or preaching about them (leave that to the Clerics) you just need to hold yourself to your own standards, and you will, because those standards mean more to you than they do to other people.

It is those deeply held standards that make you special, and in some settings give you magic. Wizards have power because they work and study, sorcerers because they inherit it, warlocks because they seize it, clerics because they do obeisance for it, but as a Paladin it just comes to you because of that strength of faith in an ideal. It isn't a gift, you don't yearn or make deals for it, it is just a part of you and that's something quite wondrous.

By all means lead by example. You want to inspire others with your deeds, but it is just as reasonable that what you want to inspire them to do is not merely act like you but to believe in their own code, their own set of standards. Above all you want people to be principled. You want people to be moral. Even if their morals aren't yours.

endur
2015-09-21, 05:18 PM
Indeed.

Sadly I don't recall if I ever read Three Hearts and Three Lions (and Moorcock was also an influence for Law-Chaos).

I knew of course about Charlemagne and the Paladins, but had never seen any information on the details. Thank you for the Wikipedia link. Sounds like a French version of the Round Table, with Roland instead of Lancelot.

KorvinStarmast
2015-09-22, 07:58 AM
As well as providing the inspiration for the regenerating D&D troll. But I thought the law-chaos opposition came from Moorcock? A lot of it did, for sure. If you also read Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos you'll see the profound Law/Chaos dichotomy. I read those books about 35-40 years ago.

The Faerie were very much "chaos" or "non human civilization" in flavor in Three Hearts and Three Lions, even if not described in those precise terms as Law and Chaos were spelled out in Operation Chaos.

JoeJ
2015-09-22, 03:30 PM
A lot of it did, for sure. If you also read Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos you'll see the profound Law/Chaos dichotomy. I read those books about 35-40 years ago.

The Faerie were very much "chaos" or "non human civilization" in flavor in Three Hearts and Three Lions, even if not described in those precise terms as Law and Chaos were spelled out in Operation Chaos.

I don't remember reading Operation Chaos, but I've read a fair amount of Anderson in my life so there's a reasonable chance that I did at some point.

BoutsofInsanity
2015-09-22, 04:21 PM
This is can work with. This is really good. Thank you sir.

It's my pleasure, the Paladin is my favorite class by far, and I believe one of the most nuanced classes you can do all sorts of things with.

The main point of a Paladin is the comfort they bring when they appear.

Where if you have a famous character they get different reactions from the populace.

"Look, its Druss the Legend, the greatest warrior the world has ever seen. He has never lost a battle!"

"Have you heard of Strider the ranger, he can guide you through any wilderness to safety!"

"I heard the Thorn of Camor struck again last week, he steals from the wealthy. They say his vault is filled with riches!"

"The story of Jon Irinicus? Have you heard the tale? How he was so powerful that he stole the soul of a Baalspawn and attacked an elven city? A wizard of terrible power."

A paladin shows up however...

"It's Eugoraton Feiht, the Paladin, now that he is here we are safe. I know that he can protect us!"

Of course, as you go, playing a Paladin more nuanced is important. You don't have to be a ****, and hate on the rogue for being a thief. You guys can have a professional agreement to not get on his case if he doesn't do it in front of you.

Going further, you can even give money back to the people he steals from.

Of course, this can be applied to every class. I believe every class is awesome for different reasons.

Mechaviking
2015-09-22, 07:21 PM
Mechinicswise you look to be on the safe side :D

Iīd suggest dwarf rather than half-elf simply because of the novelty, but half elf is probably a better fit(stats wise that is).

Also with heavy armor you wonīt need more than 14 con if you are tight on attributes.

Mechanics out of the way I have several advice to give you:

1. Conviction, it doesnīt grow on trees and thatīs what I personally believe paladins represent. Itīs the source of their power and itīs why they are who they are. They donīt do it because it is easy or cause it pays well and has great dental. Itīs a calling and something that shapes who and what you are and do.

2. You are the paladin, not the rogue, not the necromancer mage, not the greedy bard, not the murderous berserker, you. And as such the Codes and/or oaths only apply to you so do not try to ******* it up by policing the party. You can live up to your oaths and try to sway the players on to your way of thinking with actions, donīt argue(in character or out) about what they should do.

3. If you are leading the party(not a given but often times not this happens) take action imminently, donīt spend hours figuring out the best course of action. Do something constructive right away and while that is being done think of how to proceed from there. Games sometimes drag on into nothingness because of indecisiveness, just start the ball rolling with something simple and course-correct along the way :D

Hope this helps