PDA

View Full Version : Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows and Snowflake wardance.....

Masakan
2015-09-18, 11:59 AM
They don't stack with slippers of battle dancing do they?

Forrestfire
2015-09-18, 12:21 PM
I'm away from my books right now, but as far as I remember (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Snowflake Wardance adds your Charisma modifier to attacks with any slashing melee weapon wielded in one hand, explicitly stacking with other bonuses.
Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows add your Charisma modifier as damage on any melee attacks you make.
Slippers of Battledancing replaces your Strength/Dexterity to attacks and damage with Charisma.

They all stack just fine with each other. You end up with +2x Cha to attacks and no Strength, and +Str+Cha to damage. There is no restriction on how many times a stat can be added to something by effects and abilities.

LoyalPaladin
2015-09-18, 12:34 PM
They all stack just fine with each other. You end up with +2x Cha to attacks and no Strength, and +Str+Cha to damage.
I agree with Forrestfire. That is how it works, so far as I know at least.

There is no restriction on how many times a stat can be added to something by effects and abilities.
Not that I am disagreeing with this, but I do want to find out where this is stated if anyone has time. We just had this discussion at our table last week and I'd love to be able to bring the actually rule to the table.

torrasque666
2015-09-18, 12:41 PM
Not that I am disagreeing with this, but I do want to find out where this is stated if anyone has time. We just had this discussion at our table last week and I'd love to be able to bring the actually rule to the table.
I too am interested in this. One of the things I liked about pathfinder was that it cut down on stack-abuse.

Mehangel
2015-09-18, 12:47 PM

I dont have a ruling, however the best argument I know on hand for D&D 3.5 allowing multiple of the same ability score to stack is:

o Adds Charisma bonus to skills already gaining a bonus equal to charisma modifer
This is ofcourse not true (if I recall correctly) for Pathfinder where a FAQ posted that multiple bonuses from ability scores dont stack, I will see if I can dig that one up though.

torrasque666
2015-09-18, 12:54 PM
I dont have a ruling, however the best argument I know on hand for D&D 3.5 allowing multiple of the same ability score to stack is:

o Adds Charisma bonus to skills already gaining a bonus equal to charisma modifer
This is ofcourse not true (if I recall correctly) for Pathfinder where a FAQ posted that multiple bonuses from ability scores dont stack, I will see if I can dig that one up though.

The Marshal's auras are circumstance bonuses though. There's a slight difference (at least to me) between "Add your X modifier" and "Add a Y bonus equal to your X modifier"

The Pathfinder ruling is here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk).

Mehangel
2015-09-18, 01:05 PM
The Marshal's auras are circumstance bonuses though. There's a slight difference (at least to me) between "Add your X modifier" and "Add a Y bonus equal to your X modifier"

You are correct there is a difference, and I honestly skimmed over the part that said it was a circumstance bonus. However, I went ahead and opened up the Rules Compendium pg 21: (emphasis mine)

STACKING
Bonuses of different types always stack. Bonuses that have identical types don’t stack, except for dodge bonuses and some circumstance bonuses. Untyped bonuses stack unless the bonuses come from the same effect. Penalties aren’t usually typed, but identical types of penalties don’t stack. In this latter case, the worst penalty applies.

I dont know about you, but I would think that if a bonus type is not mentioned, it would be considered untyped. This means that the bonuses stack; unless ofcourse the DM argues that the two bonuses coming from one ability score count as coming from the same effect, I wouldn't.

The Pathfinder ruling is here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk).

Thanks

Flickerdart
2015-09-18, 01:06 PM
From what I recall, the Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows don't add your Charisma damage to damage; rather they add fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier to your attacks. This stacks unambiguously with everything.

torrasque666
2015-09-18, 01:08 PM
I dont know about you, but I would think that if a bonus type is not mentioned, it would be considered untyped. This means that the bonuses stack; unless ofcourse the DM argues that the two bonuses coming from one ability score count as coming from the same effect, I wouldn't.
True, untyped bonuses stack if not from the same source. However, there's a good argument for treating anything that's "add X modifier" as using X as the source. Same logic that Paizo used.