PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling Warlock : Lvl 8 - Feats and Plans

lilwolfe006
2015-09-18, 01:29 PM
Need help figuring out what the best course of action will be on my attribute/feat plans for upcoming level 8 (and beyond.)

Stats are as follows:
Race Tiefling, Class Warlock (no multiclass)
STR 12
DEX 18
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 13
CHA 20

Archfey Patron
Pact of the Tome (upgraded to Book of Ancient Secrets)

Party Breakdown:
Paladin (Oath of the Ancients)
Cleric of Boccob (Knowledge Domain)
Rogue (Thief)
Half Orc Barbarian (The super kill-machine kind)
Tiefling Warlock (Archfey Patron)

Play style: I go mostly for what makes the most sense based off of her background and story elements. That said I'd still like to be as effective as possible (and somewhat keep up with the offensive power of the other party members if I can?) We really don't parlay often (thanks Barbarian :smallannoyed:) so a lot of the more illusory spells and such would be a waste. ("Smash not name, smash job!" comes to mind.)

Cantrips Known: Thaumaturgy (tiefling free), Mage Hand, Eldritch Blast, Chill Touch, Sacred Flame, Thorn Whip, Vicious Mockery

Spells known: Armor of Agathys, Witch Bolt, Invisibility, Hold Person, Shatter, Fly, Vampiric Touch, Greater Invisbility (patron's list)

There has been a lot of push for me to take crossbow expert as my feat at 8th, so that I no longer get disadvantage when using eldritch blast when I have enemies within 5' of me. But it feels like SUCH a waste to grab a feat where you are only getting 1/3 of the benefits from having it. That said, my CHA is already maxed, and upping my DEX only benefits me with adding +1 to my AC (I use the Armor of Shadows Invocation to get a free at will mage armor -- short of ridiculously enchanted leather, I can't get better than what I get with it.) Spell sniper also feels wasted since the range on what I have goes to 120' (and how many encounters are fought beyond those parameters) and I have other cantrips to use when cover is an issue. Likewise Warcaster, while it has some draw for the concentration saves, seems set up for those who are casting and wielding weapons, which I would not be.

Hoping to get some suggestions from those of you are really good at builds and such! :)
Thanks for looking!

TrollCapAmerica
2015-09-18, 01:49 PM
Well warcasters bonus to concentrate is the main reason to get it. You can basically forget about them after that as it virtually trivalizes concentration

Spell sniper is best for ignoring cover so you can EB with impunity. The extra cantrip and range are just neat stuff. Really each part of the feat is situational and DM dependant (may be required to shoot into melee for some DMs or the extra range if the DM tjhnks about a long range battle)

You shouldn't be shooting at point blank with any party coordination so CBM is a waste. Your better off using misty step to escape than blowing a feat

also for the love of gpd axe Witch bolt. That spell is hot garbage