PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Any In the Company of Dragons experts around? I need help/advice.

Drayco84
2015-09-18, 05:49 PM
Due to getting massive stress relief from getting a needed, but not life-threatening, medical procedure done, I'm giving these games one absolute last shot. I'm doing my best to stay emotionally distant and unattached since the damn thing will prolly fall apart. (And if I'm wrong about that, I'll actually be quite happy.)

Anyway, game is a Giantslayer pre-made module, which is actually my first pre-made. (So, not ENTIRELY sure what to expect.) As part of joining the game, the DM is letting me play a Taninim. (Although, for full disclosure, I'm only willing to risk possibly watching ANOTHER game collapse for the chance to try these guys out at least once.) Character is planned on being a magus with the Draconic Hero racial archetype. (Because, of course.) I'm taking Latent Draconic Gift for Humanoid Form at first, because even small-sized dragons tend to freak people out. So, there's a few things I want to know...

1: Do the size changes on the table in here come into play at all for Taninim? http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement
2: The ability explicitly states "All dracomorphosis benefits plus all extraordinary or supernatural draconic defenses, draconic gifts and draconic weaponry are considered form-dependent abilities and cannot be used in humanoid form." Am I correct in assuming that while this removes the bonuses to str, con, and natural armor, it ALSO removes the penalties to Dex and normal size penalties/bonuses to AC/Attack, CMB/CMD, Fly, and stealth?
3: Also, does Alter Self change any racial limits/bonus? Like claws, the extra penalties to armor, darkvision, low-light vision, and the race's natural armor bonus?
4: Any complimentary or very useful features/feats for a character of this nature? Spontaneous casting (I know that there's magus archtypes for that, anybody got the names of them?) is obviously a big one, but any tips and tricks to boost AC in either form? (Other than Mage Armor and Shield, obviously.) Normally, I'm exhaustively thorough in my research, but I'm just too exhausted and worn down to try slugging through it again.
5: Any specific Giantslayer things to look for? Already planning on tying my character as the son of a legendary Giant Slayer (Also a Taninim, obviously.) but things that are cool/thematic with some actual benefits would be a plus.

The main thing I want to do with this char is be a damage-dealer with some tanking ability. (Because, let's face it, once revealed as a dragon, all enemies are going to see the char as the biggest threat due to obvious reasons.)

Drayco84
2015-09-19, 11:07 AM
BTW, what are the rules for bumping? This was on the second page and I still need help.

Kaidinah
2015-09-19, 01:38 PM
1. No. You advance your Tanimim's size and stuff only if you take the Draconic Hero archetype for Magus, which seems to not be on the PFSRD. Do you have the book?

2. Yes, you would lose all the penalties as well. I think its a good deal.

3. I don't think alter self will take any of your stuff away, unless it changes your size from large to medium.

4. I recommend the feat "Latent Dragonic Defense" to get "Thickened Scales" for a +2 bonus to natural armor. You should be able to wear light armor, as you'll notice they only take an extra -2 armor check penalty with it. I don't think I'd bother enchanting the armor though, since you'll be finding new armor to wear whenever you get larger. The only spontaneous magus archetype I know of is here, and it uses Charisma: Eldritch Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/eldritch-scion)

Drayco84
2015-09-19, 02:35 PM
1. No. You advance your Tanimim's size and stuff only if you take the Draconic Hero archetype for Magus, which seems to not be on the PFSRD. Do you have the book?

2. Yes, you would lose all the penalties as well. I think its a good deal.

3. I don't think alter self will take any of your stuff away, unless it changes your size from large to medium.

4. I recommend the feat "Latent Dragonic Defense" to get "Thickened Scales" for a +2 bonus to natural armor. You should be able to wear light armor, as you'll notice they only take an extra -2 armor check penalty with it. I don't think I'd bother enchanting the armor though, since you'll be finding new armor to wear whenever you get larger. The only spontaneous magus archetype I know of is here, and it uses Charisma: Eldritch Scion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/eldritch-scion)

Yes, I very much have the book, and thus access to all the info within.
As for armor, I'm prolly going to need some kind of armor that's compatible between the two forms or have two separate types of armor. (Or maybe just some Bracers of Armor or something...) Mostly because I get the feeling I'm only going to be pulling out the dragon form when things get tougher. I'm not going to be min-maxed because of this by any stretch, but I'm trying to break myself of that a bit anyway.