PDA

View Full Version : DM Help RWBY Campaign

DracoKnight
2015-09-18, 08:48 PM
How would you replicate the Semblances from the show? I was thinking of feats, or spells that would recharge on a short rest. Is there any better way to emulate these abilities?

BRKNdevil
2015-09-20, 03:52 PM
Dunno about short rest, they use their abilities quite often with some of them all the time as their main way to attack. Weiss for example uses it with almost every attack and blake does her shadow clone to get an advantage at almost every other attack. Ruby doesn't do it nearly as often, and Yang has to charge hers. I know that a while back a person was doing a homebrew system for RWBY in the homebrew thread so i guess you could check that out
Oh, and Red head literally has her magnetic ability always on when she does her attacks to move herself into position faster and reinforce almost all her blows

DracoKnight
2015-09-21, 06:04 AM
I know that a while back a person was doing a homebrew system for RWBY in the homebrew thread so i guess you could check that out

I will look into this. Thank you :)

While I look for that, this is kind of what I was thinking of:

Pick a spell. (cantrip through 2nd level)

Casting Time:
Cantrip: 1 Bonus Action
1st-level: 1 Action (Short Rest)
2nd-level: 1 Action (Long Rest)

HerbertWest
2015-09-21, 06:44 AM

Casting Time:

That system seems quite reasonable, however, depending on how far you want to go into the campaign, the cantrips and low level spells as abilities like that may end up side-lined for other class features that use those kind of opportunity costs, for instance, a bonus action. While it would be a bit more work, and I do suggest looking at the RWBY homebrew thread that BRKNdevil suggested, I would work out a few "base" semblances. Some basic abilities, for instance, Yang's semblance resembles Barbarian Rage, Ruby's is a lot like Haste, etc. Work on making these abilities grow with the character, and get better as they level up. You could even craft entire archetypes out of it, if you want to go that far.

CyberThread
2015-09-21, 02:17 PM
Honestly man, besides the special moves most of it is just fancy auto attacks.

Madfellow
2015-09-21, 04:06 PM

Casting Time:

Have you checked out the Unearthed Arcana Eberron material? It features dragonmark feats that grant certain spells as the character levels, like what you have here. Might be worth checking out. There are twelve dragonmarks to choose from, each with its own focus. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron