PDA

View Full Version : Utilities belt spells and powers.

YPU
2007-05-15, 04:34 AM
What spells or powers do you keep on using trough the levels? What spells never need to be replaced and will always be useful? My first vote would be true strike even into epic +20 does count. So that never looses its use.

Glorfindel
2007-05-15, 05:51 AM
Prestidigation :)

Calsan
2007-05-15, 05:54 AM
Magic Missle: it allways hits so it's a good damage spell if you don't know what to cast.

Detect magic: Allways handy for first indentifying magical stuff.

Dispel magic: For those pesky anoying charms and other debuff spells

Tellah
2007-05-15, 10:11 AM
The Logic Ninja's guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19085) is really the first place to start; he listed out all the best spells shortly after the Spell Compendium came out. You'll find, though, that most of the truly great stuff is right there in the PHB.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-15, 04:11 PM
knock, open sesame.

JaronK
2007-05-15, 06:08 PM
Explosive Runes. Because plan B stands for Boom!

JaronK

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 06:12 PM
I'm a particular fan of telekinesis.

Dhavaer
2007-05-15, 06:26 PM
Prestidigitation, telekinesis and disc of concordant opposition.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-15, 08:12 PM
Grease: It has so very many uses, both in combat and out.

Presdigitition: Because who else does the laundry?

Ray of enfeeblement: Because.

Alarm: DON'T TOUCH MY STUFF!

Tasha's Hideous Laughter: What could be funnier?

Armads
2007-05-17, 06:19 AM
Charm Person. Really useful in social situations or to prevent a fight.

Dark_Wind
2007-05-18, 02:19 PM
I can't believe I'm the first to say shatter. I had a Bard once who used that spell constantly. Locked door? What door? Fly is also amazing, and it never gets outdated. I never leave home without it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-18, 02:26 PM
I can't believe I'm the first to say shatter. I had a Bard once who used that spell constantly. Locked door? What door? Fly is also amazing, and it never gets outdated. I never leave home without it.

Overland Flight pwns Fly.

Yes, Shatter is tasty good. Particularly metamagic'd.

Say you're gagged, bound in chains, and thrown into a deep dark prison.

Still Silent Shatter

Now you're just plain pissed and ready to blow sheet up.

Jack_Simth
2007-05-18, 07:17 PM
Overland Flight pwns Fly. Sorta. Fly has better manueverability and a faster speed. Overland flight lasts all day and negates long-term husling penalties. If you're not worried about speed or manueverability, sure, Overland Flight beats out Fly. Otherwise, not so much.

Godhand
2007-05-18, 08:07 PM
Stoneskin and Haste.

Transmute Rock to Mud and Wall of Stone

The first two have obvious uses, the second two make great utility spells.

Orak
2007-05-18, 08:56 PM
Fairy fire: no saving throw, very annoying to backstabbing rogues and invisible opponents.

Glitterdust: No spell resistance. Can blind an opponent and makes him very visible (the visible part has no save)

Grease: No spell resistance, reflex save or fall down. Allow for attacks of opportunity from fellow party members when the grease victim tries to stand up and a lot of classes have terrible reflex saves. Also forces a balance check when moving through or out of the greased area. The full plate + tower shield warrior will have fun with that.