PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dumping 30k

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-18, 11:43 PM
Sudden windfall, yadda yadda, I've got 30k to spend on a level 3, Charisma based Incantor. I took the Noble Scion feat and have high social skills, so I'm super CHA-SAD.

I'm considering a +4 Charisma item (16k) and a Circlet of Persuasion (4.5k). I'm not sure what to spend the rest on (or if there is better use of cash).

GilesTheCleric
2015-09-18, 11:48 PM
Did everyone in the party get 30k, or just your character? Perhaps giving each member an item or two to increase their power might be most efficient.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-18, 11:57 PM
Everyone got 30k, except the Barbarian, who got 15k and a sword (we found a bunch of swords, 8 to be precise. He chose to not sell one of the swords and take it as part of his loot share).

BWR
2015-09-19, 08:56 AM
Spend it on ale and whores.
You can get an awful lot of ale and whores for 30 000 gp.

Psyren
2015-09-19, 09:04 AM
There's another thread on the front page about magic items for Spheres of Power PCs, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?443228-PF-Magic-Wonderous-Items-for-a-Sphere-Caster) maybe check that for ideas. I can't comment on whether the advice is any good though.

stack
2015-09-19, 01:57 PM
What are your primary spheres and talents? Part role in combat? If you have one sphere you use heavily in combat, get a staff with high enhancement.

The two items you have listed are good choices. What are you doing for AC/defense?

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-19, 10:15 PM
What are your primary spheres and talents? Part role in combat? If you have one sphere you use heavily in combat, get a staff with high enhancement.

The two items you have listed are good choices. What are you doing for AC/defense?

My Primary Spheres are the Teleportation one (name escapes me) and Time, with Telekinesis and Destruction secondary. I'm mostly supportive thus far, most combats start with a Group Haste. I recently picked up Steal Time and plan on taking more of the more offensive Time-Talents, mixing in supportive/utlity abilities from Telekinesis and the Teleportation spheres.

As far as defenses go, I'm just going to be ignoring AC. To keep pace with enemy bonuses, I'd be spending an absurd amount on magical items, or the Protection Sphere (neither of which I'd like). Otherwise, I'm a slightly modified Drow, which doesn't get its racial SR till level 5. However I also have a homebrewed Lesser Scarab of Protection, which functions like the normal variety but grants SR 5 and Absorbs 2 effects instead of 20 and 12 respectively. The GM specifically mentioned the Scarab's SR will stack with my Racial SR once I get it (and even if the 2 absorption are used, the SR remains). I plan on taking the one Drow feat the buffs up SR and if the GM allows, the one feat from 3.5 that bumps up SR by +2.

Other than that, my only defense is, eventually, the ability to Imm. Action Teleport away from attacks. I've resigned that my best defense is making my allies juicier targets by being wholly more effective than me (by buffing the everloving Abyss out of them).

Also, can you explain what you mean by a Staff with a high enchantment? Ok, I see what your saying. I have to ask the GM, were playing Faerun and its been established I'm a special case/oddity so I don't know if I can find a crafter and will have to craft it myself (at level 11, when I can take the feat). Possibly, I can assist a more traditional caster craft it. I've already asked, just waiting for a response.

stack
2015-09-20, 11:37 AM
Hopefully you can get a staff, the boost to save DCs from higher CL will help. +2 time or +1 time and warp would run 8,000 GP, still leave plenty for a headband of Charisma. Note that emergency teleport is not he same as abrupt jaunt; if used to avoid an attack it boosts AC, it doesn't negate the attack entirely. Still works well for getting out of range before the attack is begun though.

My normal reccomendation would be to get miscellaneous items to round out the effects you don't have since any sphere caster is by necessity limited, but it sounds like sphere based items are an issue. Could try to get scrolls or spell books of out of combat spells to cast as rituals, presuming you are the party's primary arcane caster.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-09-20, 11:47 AM
Hopefully you can get a staff, the boost to save DCs from higher CL will help. +2 time or +1 time and warp would run 8,000 GP, still leave plenty for a headband of Charisma. Note that emergency teleport is not he same as abrupt jaunt; if used to avoid an attack it boosts AC, it doesn't negate the attack entirely. Still works well for getting out of range before the attack is begun though.

My normal reccomendation would be to get miscellaneous items to round out the effects you don't have since any sphere caster is by necessity limited, but it sounds like sphere based items are an issue. Could try to get scrolls or spell books of out of combat spells to cast as rituals, presuming you are the party's primary arcane caster.

The ability to quickly get out of range is just as good. I'm debating the After Image talent, but spending a point and an action each combat for a miss chance seems a waste of time and resources. As far as scrolls/rituals for utility, I specifically choose Spheres of Power to avoid the typical "Caster can do it better!" mentality, so I'll only be accessing those if there is a specific challenge we can not surmount without.