PDA

View Full Version : Optimization "The Jumplomancer - are you serious?" (from Wizards forum)

Flame of Anor
2015-09-18, 11:58 PM
This is not my work; it's a duplicate of this (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1141886) thread. Since the Wizards forums will be disappearing soon (bad form!) I wanted to preserve a few of these threads. Feel free to continue discussing the thread's topic.

(posted October 25, 2007)

This build is a testament to the power of caffeine-fuelled idiocy:

A Jump Check that makes people fanatical.

Alright, here are a few ideas and a build that I shall work on a little later. But, for the moment, here it is:

This (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11680.0) [link updated –ed.] is a link to the Jump record, from Funny Slaughter’s list of CO Records.

It lists Jump as having a +366 bonus. This is excellently constructed. But, here is my idea:

Get a Fighter 1 / Druid 9, with a Strength of 14. We'll go with whatever race, but a 30' Base Move is a good place to start. We can certainly add in Prestige Classes, as well, but we need Wild Shape.
At Level 1, take Power Attack.
At level 3, take Skill Focus (Jump).
At Level 6, take Leap Attack (Complete Adventurer).
At Level 9, take Cheetah’s Speed (Complete Divine).

If you're human, take Run. Every little bit, well, is probably unnecessary.

Also, let's take the Quick trait, from Unearthed Arcana. This bit is optional, of course.

We should also grab 5 ranks in Tumble. Again, unnecessary, but we might as well.

Oh, and for fun, take the Shadow Template (Lords of Madness).

We won’t need any equipment or magic.

For now, let’s just use one of our Wild Shape uses to get Cheetah’s Speed, which makes our movement 50’. Excellent. Quick adds another 10', making it 60' But then our Shadow Template allows for 50% greater speed, so we’re zooming along at 90; Now, Cheetah’s Speed lets us sprint as a cheetah, at ten times our normal speed (which is 900’), as part of a charge. Now, since we are charging, we can Jump (since we have Leap Attack), and that means that our Jump check (which has a bonus based on speed of +4 for every 10’ beyond 30’) has a bonus of +(((900-30) /10) x +4) 348. For the sake of the maths, let’s say that we have 13 Ranks by this point, so the Jump check comes out at +361. Synergy from Tumble gets us +363, Skill Focus gets us +366, and Acrobatic gets us to +368, Strength gets us to +370, so this should allow us a new Jump Record, as far as I can see.

Now, let’s add in a little idiocy.

A Fighter 1 / Druid 9 / Exemplar 5 (Complete Adventurer) in this build needs: Diplomacy 6 Ranks (Druids get Diplomacy as a class skill, so no problems there); Jump 13 Ranks: Yes, we can manage that; Skill Focus (any; let’s choose Jump), and those 5 ranks in tumble. A little cross-classing there. You can delete this bit if you wish.

At Exemplar 1, we choose Skill Artistry in Jump. Then, at Level 5, we get Persuasive Performance. Now we can use Jump as a Diplomacy check. So, we can now make a +370 Jump check using the idea above, and our chosen NPC (or crowd) is automatically turned into a fanatic using the rules in the Epic Level Handbook.

Now, the performance "must be nonthreatening" and "requires at least one minute to perform":

Nonthreatening is fine, we can attack using a method specifically chosen to not harm something (just have your target be immune to your attack, have damage reduction, etc).

Interestingly, the minute performance thing is easy: Since we can jump at any point in our charge, we simply jump at the last 5' of movement in our charge. By the rules of Jump (PHB, Pg 77), "if you run out of movement mid jump, your next action (either on this turn, or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete your jump."; since our base movement is only 90, it will take us 10 rounds (one minute) to land from our herculean leap. Yes, idiotic, I know. Yes, it breaks a lot of laws of physics.

But, from what I can see, this works. We run, jump, land a minute later amongst an adoring crowd who immediately turn fanatical to me. Like I said, a truly stupid concept. There is lots of polishing needed on this silly, silly build, obviously.

Thanks for any positive input.

C.

Greetings All.

First of all, thanks for the response. The kind words are very much appreciated.

I hope to answer a few questions, and clarify the build a little very soon, but I just wanted to answer one question, from psishin:

The logical extension of this is to find out what the highest bonus you can get to a single skill is and then use persuasive performance with that skill. Is jump the skill that can get the biggest bonus?

As far as I can see, the answer is yes, for three reasons:

1. As well as any Contributors (Feats, Traits, etc) to the Jump skill, you also get to add the bonus from Contributors to speed, and the speed bonuses are very richly rewarded;
2. There are a great number of Contributors to both speed and the Jump skill; and
3. Jump is the only skill that I can think of that uses multipliers in the bonus calculation (Blade Dancer, the Shadow Template and Cheetah's Speed come to mind, obviously). Multipliers can (potentially) grant you so much more than just a bonus.

The logistics of using Jump instead of Diplomacy are quite odd, of course, and the premise is shamelessly silly; remembering that you only need a finite amount of Diplomacy to make a fanatic of anyone, you can certainly get there easily with Jump. If I get a moment, I might try to get there with Craft (Basketweaving)...

C.