PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Inquisition recruits a vampire

MonkeySage
2015-09-19, 01:15 AM
I decided to give another shot at running a VTM one on one game, this time from another angle.

My player previously played Edward, a perpetually depressed factory worker who immediately rejected the change and became suicidal. This of course made for a very short game.

But the player has asked me to run another game. This time he's playing Clyde, a much more active character. Clyde's response to being sired by his own biological father(now a member of the Sabbat) was anger. While Clyde was being forcefully sired, a bunch of hunters came up and drove a stake through his heart, dragged him into a church and pretty much recruited him(the leader of the local chapter, a priest, decided that Clyde would make an effective weapon against the undead).

Clyde wants revenge but he also wants to keep his head(both literally and metaphorically).

So, how might a game like this turn out?

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-19, 08:05 AM
Not sure, but make sure to give him a nemesis who's an Anglican priest with regenerative powers.

More seriously, I imagine goal number one is to take out his father, and whatever other vampires the Congregation points him at, preferably using diablerie as a shortcut to enough power to take on his handlers en masse.

Cikomyr
2015-09-19, 11:37 AM
I dont get the Protestant priest reference...

Why would the Inquisition want to use a Vampire? Arent they all abominations?

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-09-19, 12:38 PM
I dont get the Protestant priest reference...

It's a reference to Hellsing, where the protagonist is a vampire employed by a secret Anglican agency and whose nemesis is a Catholic priest working for an rival agency of the Vatican.

MonkeySage
2015-09-19, 01:10 PM
Yeah I got the hellsing reference, no coincidence either... kinda borrowed the idea. :P
True they see all vampires as abominations, and Clyde is under constant threat of decapitation. The alliance is purely tentative, and once Father Lucille is done with Clyde they will most likely destroy him. Good reason for Clyde to make himself useful for as long as possible, at least until he can escape to freedom. I kind of forsee him taking the Path of Blood as his humanity dwindles into zealotry. The player didn't feel comfortable playing an undead abomination unless said abomination was pointed at members of his own kind. So a character similar to Blade or Angel.

comicshorse
2015-09-19, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE=MonkeySage;19840362
So, how might a game like this turn out?[/QUOTE]

Very messily, very quickly :smallsmile:

Slightly more seriously given the Vampire's restrictions on operating in daylight and not using (or being near) anybody with True Faith and only having starting Disciplines I don't think he'd be that much use to the Inquisition in combat
What he will be good at is infiltration. He can go places and gather information no mortal Inquisition agent ever could simply because he is a Vampire and no Vampire is ever going to think a Vampire could possible be employed by the Inquisition. (Which is probably exactly what his handlers are counting on)
That said the Inquisition are going to want to make sure the leash on him is very short. Whether this is some mystical hold ( a Oath sworn on a Holy Relic that WILL kill him if he tries to run) or a bomb implanted over his heart every night is up to you

Anonymouswizard
2015-09-19, 01:39 PM
Not sure, but make sure to give him a nemesis who's an Anglican priest with regenerative powers.

Don't be silly, an Anglican priest would want to know why he considers himself special compared to all the other sinners :smalltongue:

It's a reference to Hellsing, where the protagonist is a vampire employed by a secret Anglican agency and whose nemesis is a Catholic priest working for an rival agency of the Vatican.

Really? I need to see this now.

On track, I agree with everybody who said 'messy'. Somebody's blood is going to leave their body.

sktarq
2015-09-19, 01:50 PM
I see two very different ways this could play out.

First would be the more episodic "hunt of the week" type. A bit blade-like. In that he uses vampire powers to hunt vampires. High combat with some detective work. A good way to show the various wierd and wacky of the WoD plus can easily mix other satanspawn like beastmen, wraiths etc as targets.

Second option would be more philosophical. He infiltrate the Sabbatt in order to find a big meetup that the inquisition can crash or to develop leads for other inquisitors to hunt. And then play around with the idea that perhaps the sabbat is right. Go into why the followers of various roads/path believe what they do and make it at least somewhat appealing. Make the idea of sacrificing the churchmen a possibility. Ask questions of tribal allegiance and the like (now that you are a vampire who are "your people", revenge? Against who? His father or his heavenly father?, place in metaphisical universe, who is using him more the vampires or the humans? Freedom of choices vs duties vs threats vs debts). It could be a very dark, talky game-a battle for the soul more than lives.

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-19, 04:17 PM
Really? I need to see this now.

For that specific reference, look for the television anime called Hellsing, as opposed to the manga Hellsing or the original video animation called Hellsing Ultimate - the priest in question, Alexander Anderson, is much more prominent in the former, where in the latter two Alucard's main opponents are Nazis.

It's good if you like cheesy fighting shows with invincible heroes and ludicrous gibs.

Hawkstar
2015-09-19, 10:33 PM
He sounds a lot like Nyte Blayde from the Saint's Row series to me. You could go with that route.

Eventually, he should find his way to freedom from the church before they kill him. It's the height of drama! It should be interesting if the non-vampire people hunting him are genuinely well-intentioned and heroic.

Please no "Catholic vs. Protestant". That's been done to death, and isn't actually interesting.

MonkeySage
2015-09-21, 07:42 AM
I might be wrong, but what are the odds that a character like Clyde, who at this point probably has no good reason to like vampires other than being one, might sympathize with the Path of Blood?

That the Assamites might take him in at some point?

comicshorse
2015-09-21, 08:49 AM
Given its going to be fairly obvious to Clyde that the Inquisition are going to kill him once he's no more use to them I can see him being prepared to say he believed anything if it would get him away from them :smallsmile:

P.S.
One of the tenants of the Assamites is that they are there to protect the innocent of Humanity from other Vampires. For someone who has had to spend time undercover among the Sabbat, observing the atrocities they inflict on mortals for fun this could be a very attractive idea