PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build an Arcanist

EldritchWeaver
2015-09-19, 09:06 AM
I'm trying to build an Arcanist, but I have only broad strokes how the character should work. For convenience I itemized the constraints.

The character starts out with level 6.
The ability scores are 16, 16, 14, 12, 12, 10.
I want either an Elf or an Sylph, but I'm not sure which fits better.
I'm going for BFC so I'm using the Occultist archetype.
In addition, I want to have a roguish cohort, so Leadership at level 7 I guess.
I can ignore the errata for the Arcanist, so no restriction on the number of points in the arcane reservoir.
Sadly, only Paizo books allowed.

To be able to fit better in with my group, I'd be happy if you could provide me several options varying in power level.:smallsmile:

ThinkMinty
2015-09-19, 09:28 AM
You're a Spontaneous Caster that can choose their spell list, so...still pick your dailys like a Sorcerer would, but leave a couple situationals on the table more like a Wizard once you cover your utility and one (or two) offensive spells. Less is more with blasting, so choose wisely. I recommend Magic Missile.

You want one of those 16s in Int, and you want to bump it up as high as you can. The floating bonus of a human/half elf/half orc goes to Int for that character, or ya take a race with +Int.

This might help, was one of the only Arcanist guides I could find.

http://www.optibuilds.com/pathfinder-arcanist-build-guide-2/

EldritchWeaver
2015-09-19, 05:15 PM
I have looked at guides, but I have a simple problem with them: I drown in the options. The guides are too general with what is a good option, as they treat all possible builds. What I need is, considering the given constraints, some hints which feats and exploits are likely helpful. And I still don't know how the abilities scores should be distributed. Aside from the obvious one. I'm vexed if I should try to get a high Cha given I have Leadership. Or going for Eldritch Heritage.

Although your link has actually some nice advice in that comment (http://www.optibuilds.com/pathfinder-arcanist-build-guide-2/#comment-772), but it still leaves some questions unanswered.

Oneris
2015-09-19, 05:55 PM
If your DM rules the arcanist as being spontaneous or both spontaneous and prepared, look into getting a mnemonic vestment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/vestment-mnemonic) or Ring of Spell Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-spell-knowledge) to take full advantage of your spellbook.

I'd suggest being a Sylph, since you begin with Sylvan and you can use your Int to take Terran as a bonus language. As an Occultist, you'll probably want to summon small earth elementals for any combat that doesn't require special abilities. You might also want to put a few points into Linguistics for Celestial or Infernal if you want to command your summons to do anything other than attack.

As standard for any summoner, the SpellFocus>Augment>Superior chain is strongly recommended since you get a minute/level duration as an Occultist. Evolved Summon Monster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/evolved-summoned-monster) is crazy good since you can change which evolution you get every time you use it. Augmented Infernal Crocodile with Claws, anyone? Shame they amended to bar you from taking Pounce or Reach though. That would have been wicked.

Dimensional Slide is highly recommended, especially if your GM rules it can escape grapples. Quick Study ups your versatility even more, since you can now do in 1 full round what a wizard needs 15 minutes and unprepared spell slots to do.

Edit: Potent Magic is also good for BFC since you can use it to up saves or duration on your lower level spells. You'll have to balance your Reservoir points between your summoning, Quick Study, and Potent Magic though. Extra reservoir might help, but you're probably feat-starved already with so many good choices.

EldritchWeaver
2015-09-20, 04:13 PM
Thanks, that is really helpful. With that I should be able to go further on my build. Still, do you have a suggestion, how to distribute my attributes?

ThinkMinty
2015-09-20, 04:28 PM
Thanks, that is really helpful. With that I should be able to go further on my build. Still, do you have a suggestion, how to distribute my attributes?

STR and WIS are the most dump-friendly, respectively. Dex is needed for making ranged touch attacks and for the AC bonus.

Vhaidara
2015-09-20, 05:11 PM
I'd suggest being a Sylph, since you begin with Sylvan and you can use your Int to take Terran as a bonus language.

Small correction, Sylphs get Auran, not Sylvan. Still an excellent race, especially since, with 2 feats (Airy Step and Wings of Air) you can grab a native Fly speed at level 9

EldritchWeaver
2015-09-21, 04:28 AM
STR and WIS are the most dump-friendly, respectively. Dex is needed for making ranged touch attacks and for the AC bonus.

So how about this:

Int 16 (+2), Dex 16 (+2), Cha 14, Con 12, Wis 12, Str 10.

Or should I switch Charisma and Constitution?

Oneris
2015-09-21, 05:10 AM
So how about this:

Int 16 (+2), Dex 16 (+2), Cha 14, Con 12, Wis 12, Str 10.

Or should I switch Charisma and Constitution?

Your Cha modifier controls how many times per day you can consume spells and use some exploits, so I'd recommend you put a 16 in CHA and let a 12 in Dex racially boosted to 14. You should put the 14 in Con to make up for the -2 Con racial modifier.

EldritchWeaver
2015-09-22, 01:52 AM
Your Cha modifier controls how many times per day you can consume spells and use some exploits, so I'd recommend you put a 16 in CHA and let a 12 in Dex racially boosted to 14. You should put the 14 in Con to make up for the -2 Con racial modifier.

I don't know how I managed to forget the Con penalty.:smalleek: Thanks for the suggestion and reminder!:smallsmile: