PDA

View Full Version : Help with Artificer

BartonBlackburn
2015-09-19, 10:11 AM
I'm having isues understanding the item creation process and usage for an Artificer with a Wizard dip. As far I understand the process, a straight Artificer needs to make a Use Magic Device check to create and use any arcane device.

What about the Artificer/Wizard? Does he needs to make a UMD check for creating a device with an arcane spell? And for using it? Let's say that I'm an Artificer 4/Wizard 1 and I want to create an item with a caster level 7 arcane spell on it... Shoud I still have to make a UMD check of 27?

Troacctid
2015-09-19, 06:04 PM
If you can meet the prerequisites without using the Artificer's Item Creation ability, you don't need to make a Use Magic Device check. So if you're a 1st level Wizard and you want to make a scroll of read magic, you can do that, and you don't need a check. However, if you want to make a scroll of fireball, you'll need UMD, since your Wizard side doesn't have access to fireball. Make sense?

Afgncaap5
2015-09-19, 08:58 PM
What about the Artificer/Wizard? Does he needs to make a UMD check for creating a device with an arcane spell? And for using it? Let's say that I'm an Artificer 4/Wizard 1 and I want to create an item with a caster level 7 arcane spell on it... Shoud I still have to make a UMD check of 27?

I think the best an Artificer could do would make an item with a caster level of 6 since the caster levels between Artificer and Wizard wouldn't stack. So, An Artificer 4/Wizard 1 could make CL 6 things as an Artificer and CL 1 things as a wizard. In the first case, he or she would have to make the UMD check, but not in the second case.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-19, 10:03 PM
The wizard dip is just to ease use of some of the created devices. If a wand or staff produces spells on the wizard list the artificer/wizard doesn't have to check to activate them and if it's a scroll it's a fairly trivial CL check.

MortalSword
2015-09-25, 11:13 PM
Unfortunately the UMD check for item creation is the only way Artificers can craft things. They don't qualify for item creation CL's the same way other casters do.

Plus any scroll created in this manner is considered an Artificer spell and cannot be copied into other spellcasters spellbooks. Going with that logic I would rule that you'd need to UMD scrolls as normal based on it being an artificer scroll and not an arcane one. Any arcane scrolls would be cast normally if it's on your spell list, UMD'd if it's not.

BartonBlackburn
2015-10-07, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

Another thing that I'm not sure if I got it well: let's supose I'm a level 4 artificer. Can I create an object, or emulate a spell with a caster level 12 with just a UMD check of 32?

I mean, can I create a scroll with Greater Dispel Magic, that is a 6th level spell that wizards get at level 12th just by getting a 32 in my UMD check?

Cwymbran-San
2015-10-08, 01:00 AM
No, you can only create items with a caster Level equal to or smaller than your artificer level+2 if i remember correctly.

Aharon
2015-10-08, 02:39 AM
No, you can only create items with a caster Level equal to or smaller than your artificer level+2 if i remember correctly.

That's true. A very very strained reading of that can allow for low-CL items with high effects (like creating items that work as if they were created by a 17th level caster with all mage killer, CL-reducing feats). Most tables wouldn't let that fly, though.

BartonBlackburn
2015-10-08, 08:29 AM
Thanks!!!!