PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next No Ability Score Works Alone (Saving Throw Rework)

TopCheese
2015-09-19, 11:21 AM
No Ability Score Works Alone

[editing]

ImSAMazing
2015-09-20, 05:38 AM
Physical Save (PS): (Str + Dex + Con modifiers + Misc)/2

Mental Save (MS): (Int + Wis + Cha modifiers + Misc)/2

Add your proficiency bonus based on the list below.

Anytime you gain a permanent ability score bonus (such as the Paladin's Cha to saves) to saving throws you put the bonus in the miscellaneous slot.

Anytime you gain a non-permanent bonus from a feature or spell (such as resistance cantrip) you add it to the d20 roll.

Anytime a feature would give you Proficiency in a saving throw now increases your Proficiency bonus by one step. No Prof > Half Prof > Full Prof. (monks eventually gain full prof in PS and MS, rogues eventually gain 1/2 prof in MS).

Proficiency List

Bard: Half Prof to PS & MS.
Barbarian: Full Prof to PS.
Cleric: Full Prof to MS.
Druid: Half Prof to PS & MS.

Fighter: Full Prof to PS.
Monk: Half Prof to PS & MS.
Paladin: Half Prof to PS & MS.
Ranger: Half Prof to PS & MS.

Rogue: Full Prof to PS.
Sorcerer: Full Prof to PS.
Wedlock: Half Prof to PS & MS.
Wizard: Full Prof to MS.

Any ability that calls for a str, dex, or con save now call for a Physical Save.

Any ability that calls for a int, wis, or cha save now call for a Mental Save.

I'm going to be running this system in a set of one shots, I think I covered everything, did I miss anything?

Edit: Should saving throws round up or down? In leaning toward up.

it sounds as a good Alternative Rule, but remember: this will make many characters look a like.

TopCheese
2015-09-20, 08:13 PM
it sounds as a good Alternative Rule, but remember: this will make many characters look a like.

If this makes characters look a like then the system really needs to fix the features the classes are getting. :/

I think as long as the physical based classes, hybrid classes, and mental based classes have their separation it doesn't change much fluff wise.

The rogue dodges the fireball whereas the barbarian let's it hit him and he flat out ignores it. Mechanically the same thing happens, half damage fireball, but narritively the player is in control with how they dodged/resisted the damage.

I wouldn't mind making it where the player can choose their proficiency type. Physical, Mental, or Hybrid. But then again people would probably only choose hybrid.

Really the only thing this should do is make the math work better, fix the cherry picking problem, and make things go faster.

I've seen so many games get heald up because they were getting saving throws wrong. On both side of the screen.
:(

Edit

Thanks for the info :)