PDA

View Full Version : Things V Could Still Do To Help (spoilers likely)

Jaltum
2007-05-15, 11:28 AM
1) Drag the silver dragon head to someone who can cast Resurrection or similar.

Objections: Strength penalty; lots of freaking hobgoblins in the area.

Sisqui
2007-05-15, 11:33 AM
1) Drag the silver dragon head to someone who can cast Resurrection or similar.

Objections: Strength penalty; lots of freaking hobgoblins in the area.

Retreat behind the inner wall and rest. If it takes Redcloak long enough to breach the inner wall, V can recharge his spells. When that wall is breached, V will have to retreat inside the castle itself (provided Xykon and Unnatural Acts Girl haven't destroyed it first.)

ambartanen
2007-05-15, 12:06 PM
Retreat behind the inner wall and rest. If it takes Redcloak long enough to breach the inner wall, V can recharge his spells. When that wall is breached, V will have to retreat inside the castle itself (provided Xykon and Unnatural Acts Girl haven't destroyed it first.)

Unfortunatey Redcloak's forces already breached the wall (in the last panel we see the hobgoblins running over a terrified defender which means they got through the breach without even stopping).

I believe the most useful thing V can do now is either find a really safe place to hide and meditate there (altough I don't think such a place is readily available with the tens of thousands of goblins that are soon going to be roaming around the city) or, assuming he saw where Roy feel, go to him and activate Celia's talisman (since all the goblins are coming in through the breach being outside the walls seems to be safer right now).

Sisqui
2007-05-15, 12:08 PM
Unfortunatey Redcloak's forces already breached the wall (in the last panel we see the hobgoblins running over a terrified defender which means they got through the breach without even stopping).

I believe the most useful thing V can do now is either find a really safe place to hide and meditate there (altough I don't think such a place is readily available with the tens of thousands of goblins that are soon going to be roaming around the city) or, assuming he saw where Roy feel, go to him and activate Celia's talisman (since all the goblins are coming in through the breach being outside the walls seems to be safer right now).

INNER wall.....

Twilight Jack
2007-05-15, 12:10 PM
Sneak into the throne room with a ball-peen hammer, in case Xykon proves capable of handling the Ghost-Martyrs.

ambartanen
2007-05-15, 12:12 PM
Uhm, inner wall? When general Chang was describing the position of the troops he said "We are going to station most of them here, on the city wall... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html)" (panel 3), that suggests to me that they only have one wall and a castle.

EvilElitest
2007-05-15, 12:17 PM
Uhm, inner wall? When general Chang was describing the position of the troops he said "We are going to station most of them here, on the city wall... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0413.html)" (panel 3), that suggests to me that they only have one wall and a castle.

I think he ment the keep
from,
EE

One Skunk Todd
2007-05-15, 12:19 PM
INNER wall.....

Where Tsukiko and Xykon are.

ambartanen
2007-05-15, 12:19 PM
I think he ment the keep
from,
EE
Ugh, I guess I have trouble imagining the layout of the city then. Isn't the keep/castle walls the place where Tsukiko is slaughtering spellcasters?

Sisqui
2007-05-15, 12:24 PM
Where Tsukiko and Xykon are.

Like I said:

V will have to retreat inside the castle itself (provided Xykon and Unnatural Acts Girl haven't destroyed it first.)

His chances are better there than standing in the breach of EITHER wall..... In a losing battle, the sad fact is you eventually run out of places to fall back to :smalleek:

There is a good view of the walls in 446.http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0446.html

ambartanen
2007-05-15, 12:29 PM
Well, anyway, my point was that the safest place to be right now is outside the walls because all the enemies are going in and I don't think we know of anyone capable of stopping them (unless it turns out the paladins in the throne room can actually go out and fight them but that is highly unlikely).

Iberiel
2007-05-15, 12:46 PM
I think Sisqui is absolutely right.
The most reasonable and logical thing for V to do is to simply withdraw.

If s/he can rest until next day, there will be a lot more options again. Now it would be just pointless to try some risky stunt with a questionable prognosis. It would even be better to run away, like the deserters did, than to sacrifice oneself for nothing at all.

That's got nothing to do with honour, although it's of course not as important to V as it is to paladins. Like my fencing teacher said: "Your lord does not expect you to bang your head to the castle gate until you get all of his forces killed. He expects you to eventually win." :smallamused:

Wolfie_1066
2007-05-15, 12:48 PM
guys is it just me or did the giant forget something...im not sure maybe something happend to it but am i the only one who remembers the ring of wizardry that allows him to cast a infinite number of spells that are below fourth level? shouldent he have more spells then?

Fawkes
2007-05-15, 12:52 PM
Is that what that thing does? He may have forgotten about it (see his familiar)

Finwe
2007-05-15, 12:56 PM
Is that what that thing does? He may have forgotten about it (see his familiar)

It does nothing of the sort. It merely means that his base number of level 3 spells is doubled. And apparently, he has used them all.

Sisqui
2007-05-15, 12:56 PM
guys is it just me or did the giant forget something...im not sure maybe something happend to it but am i the only one who remembers the ring of wizardry that allows him to cast a infinite number of spells that are below fourth level? shouldent he have more spells then?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm

Wizardry
This special ring comes in four kinds (ring of wizardry I, ring of wizardry II, ring of wizardry III, and ring of wizardry IV), all of them useful only to arcane spellcasters. The wearer’s arcane spells per day are doubled for one specific spell level. A ring of wizardry I doubles 1st-level spells, a ring of wizardry II doubles 2nd-level spells, a ring of wizardry III doubles 3rd-level spells, and a ring of wizardry IV doubles 4th-level spells. Bonus spells from high ability scores or school specialization are not doubled.

EDIT: Simu'd!

EvilElitest
2007-05-15, 01:00 PM
Ugh, I guess I have trouble imagining the layout of the city then. Isn't the keep/castle walls the place where Tsukiko is slaughtering spellcasters?

Those are the towers on top of the wall, but yes still part of the keep. Tsukiko is attacking one tower at current

V retreating is fine, NP, not much she can do anyways
All of those other soilders on the other hand, bastards
from,
EE

Mc. Lovin'
2007-05-15, 01:38 PM
Well, anyway, my point was that the safest place to be right now is outside the walls because all the enemies are going in and I don't think we know of anyone capable of stopping them (unless it turns out the paladins in the throne room can actually go out and fight them but that is highly unlikely).

I don't think that it's possible for her to get out because of the horde of Hobgoblins rushing through the gap.

Glome
2007-05-15, 02:05 PM
Maybe V will one day figure out that like every wizard, he needs to buy a wand. If he bought a wand of color spray for 750 gp for example, he could use it to incapacitate multiple hobgoblins a rounds for 50 rounds. Hell, he could probably even afford better wands with the large amount of treasure they accrued from Xykon's dungeon. Until then, there really isn't anything he could do that would turn the tide of battle, and any help he did provide would just result in his death. Hell, even a wand of magic missles would work wonders if he used it to kill off anyone who said we should run, and then used them on the hobgoblins.

Twilight Jack
2007-05-15, 02:22 PM
Maybe V will one day figure out that like every wizard, he needs to buy a wand. If he bought a wand of color spray for 750 gp for example, he could use it to incapacitate multiple hobgoblins a rounds for 50 rounds. Hell, he could probably even afford better wands with the large amount of treasure they accrued from Xykon's dungeon. Until then, there really isn't anything he could do that would turn the tide of battle, and any help he did provide would just result in his death. Hell, even a wand of magic missles would work wonders if he used it to kill off anyone who said we should run, and then used them on the hobgoblins.

While useful in a gaming sense, this would be problematic from a fictional one. The repetition might get a bit boring after a few strips. On the other hand, since much of V's hobbo killin' in this battle has happened off-screen, perhaps it would be a useful temporary boon to V's arsenal in occasions such as these.

Tashi
2007-05-15, 02:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html
The "inner wall" seems to already be the castle from what I can tell from that aereal shot.
Varsuuvius is (probably) true neutral - he could always switch sides. :smallwink:

Callista
2007-05-15, 03:03 PM
Cm'on, that was just a gag with Julia. V is still loyal to hir friends.

archon_huskie
2007-05-15, 03:12 PM
tactically, standing in the breach is a bad plan to fight. I would rather stand on the sides of the breach and let the enemy charge through. Then I'd snipe from the sides. (X are hobgoblins,* AC troops) Then I'd have a chance of fighting and surviving.

-----XXXXX------
****XXXXX****

Poppatomus
2007-05-15, 03:41 PM
-----XXXXX------
****XXXXX****

-----XXXXX------
****XXXXX****
XX X

then

-----XXXXX------
****XXXXX* **
XXX X XX

then

-----XXXXX------
**XXXXX* *X
XXX XXXX
XXXX

better I think to try and hold the line, assuming you can resist the force of the charge. otherwise your simply letting too many people get through.

factotum
2007-05-15, 03:43 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html
The "inner wall" seems to already be the castle from what I can tell from that aereal shot.

It looks like a pretty standard castle layout, to be honest--outer bailey, inner bailey and keep. The outer bailey in this case is the area bound by the city walls, there's another set of walls inside that, and then the main keep in the middle. Tsukiko appears to be on one of the towers of the inner bailey.

Citizen Joe
2007-05-15, 03:52 PM

V could really learn a lesson from Belkar and get a skull wand of fireballs.

Demented
2007-05-15, 04:04 PM
Hah, true enough.

One wand would probably last longer than V would live.

Gavin Sage
2007-05-15, 04:06 PM
V is something like level 13, the soldier is quite right in saying he should pick up a bow as even as he has a base attack that would make him a decent soldier. Hell he has a second attaack which you can bet the rest don't.

Demented
2007-05-15, 04:17 PM
Of course, V will be better off shooting those arrows from the castle, since he wouldn't have lasted even briefly the way those hobgoblins carried on.