PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying I could use some help with my background - Aincients paladin

Ketiara
2015-09-19, 02:27 PM
Hi, I've been playing 3.5 for along time now and our party converted to 5e. Bringing the adventure along with a few players (including me) to 5e. We converted at level 12 and we are in a Nordic/Norse pantheon campaign.

I were a shapeshifter druid, but the entire druid experience had been a bit of a hassle being a tier1 along with a lot of paperwork and slow rounds etc. As a solution my DM and I agreed that nature was struggling and I being the last druid, had to give up my true druid powers to the World Tree in order to save it. (thus becoming a shapeshifter, before conversion)
Perrin (my char) was woken during a long needed sleep in the first layer of the abyss (trying to find Tiamat). Anyway he was woken by a will'o'whisp and drawn to follow it. He follow it to a unnatural pool of water in the abyss and looks/touches it (totally like harry potter) and is then transported into the image that the pool reflects.
The reflection is the root of a giant tree (the great tree) and it is withering. It discribes that it is dying and that im the final druid alive, but in its current condition it cant infuse druid powers into other people. This will eventually lead to the death of nature entirely! the great tree asks/demands/requests my powers as they will heal the tree preventing its death. And although it will change the nature of druids it will save it. (this is what made my normal 3.5 druid into a shapeshifter) This change would make me into a more fighting orientated char, and the main form would be a treant with reach weapon and alot of melee feats (homebrew) the next game day we converted to 5e and going into 5e druid with this story it felt better using 5e aincients paladin

Now in 5E I still wanted to keep to that story and as a solution to staying true to my character concept I decided to become an ancients paladin. (so instead of nature converted me to a shapeshifter it turned me to an ancients paladin.)

Personally I love the Ancients paladins love of music/joy/life along with the contact to nature... I'm imaging myself as a protector/guardian/champion of nature but Id love to keep true to the ancients paladin oaths. wich leads me to my background. Im feeling my background changed the moment nature changed me! Wich is why Ive called my background Nature Touched.

Name: Nature touched (perhaps a better name thats cooler)
When in the nature, you will always find it hospital to you. You easily find shelter, fresh water or herbs and berries. Nature will furthermore hide your tracks and allow you to rest and recuperate providing you with some kind of safety. The trust of the nature have extented to the wildlife to some extent. Unless otherwised spooked they will see you as an ally. And even in places forgin, you will still know the places of the wild.

*I judge people by how they treat nature. I judge an area by how they interact with nature.
*Nature can be ruthless or beautiful if you know how to be around it, as am I.

*The nature must be worshiped and upheld
*The Beauty of nature is something everyone has to experience (or love)

*Nature made me into a weapon, charging me to save it.
*Nature chose me to help it infusing me with power to do so.

*I secretly resent nature for changing me in order to help its goals
*Im proud at being chosen by gods to do their bidding. And feel more worthy than everyone.
*My connection with nature makes me loathe all thats not nature.

As Skills Im thinking investigation and survival.
Tools: herbalism kit
Languages: 1 of your choice, perhaps changing this to another skill like animal handling.

OK this is what I've got! But I've noticed throughout the years here that you guys and girls are the most imaginative creative people! Can you help me beefing out this "nature Touched" background im working with. Everything goes nothing is set in stone yet! And if you feel like it please edit/correct the ones I've got so far, neither of them feel exactly right for me, but I don't know to get there.

All sorts of constructive criticism is welcome!

Sorry for all the grammar/spelling errors English isn't my native language

1Forge
2015-09-19, 05:18 PM
This is genius. I always play paladins of some sort and this sounds perfect! You are natures champion and nature recognizes that, you created a unique character that used a good amount of creativity.
Nature touched is a good name, natures champion could be good too.
As for the loathing of all that is not nature, I feel that isn't very paladin like maybe instead you see each log and plank humans use as a corpse of a friend? The horror your character experiences and possibly rightous anger could be interesting. Or maybe your only upset with exess use maybe its fine to use some for survival (like how wolves eat deer) but over use, waste, and frivouless commoditys fills you with a thirst for justice.

Also to add to the slight resentment to nature in general, you could say that now as its champion you can not stop feeling the feelings of nature around you and see through its eyes a bit, and that prevents you from finding a total peace like when you were a druid...after all ignorence is bliss. (this could also be a great RP opportunity where you find inner peace or acceptance of some of the pain all things must feel) you could really capitulize on the burden of carrying others burdens and the pain in preventing suffering for others that you now face.

Ketiara
2015-09-20, 09:14 AM
This is genius. I always play paladins of some sort and this sounds perfect! You are natures champion and nature recognizes that, you created a unique character that used a good amount of creativity.
Nature touched is a good name, natures champion could be good too.
As for the loathing of all that is not nature, I feel that isn't very paladin like maybe instead you see each log and plank humans use as a corpse of a friend? The horror your character experiences and possibly righteous anger could be interesting. Or maybe your only upset with excess use maybe its fine to use some for survival (like how wolves eat deer) but over use, waste, and frivouless commodity's fills you with a thirst for justice.

Also to add to the slight resentment to nature in general, you could say that now as its champion you can not stop feeling the feelings of nature around you and see through its eyes a bit, and that prevents you from finding a total peace like when you were a druid...after all ignorence is bliss. (this could also be a great RP opportunity where you find inner peace or acceptance of some of the pain all things must feel) you could really capitulize on the burden of carrying others burdens and the pain in preventing suffering for others that you now face.

Thanks 1Forge! Its good stuff!

Yea you are correct about the loathing, it feels too un-paladin like, but perhaps a fallen paladin of some sort? Someone that's misinterpreted the ancients codex?

I like your ideas a lot! I've tried to make them into a short sentence but I cant quite make up my mind where to put your ideas. (personality traits/ideal/bond/flaw)

Here is what I've got:
*I get upset by excess use or waste of natures resources. (personality?)
*I see each log and plank as a corpse of a friend. (flaw or personality?)
*My connection to nature lets me feel its pain. (the sentence feels wrong but my English skills fails me. And would it be bond or flaw?)

I'm trying to create 5 different personality, ideals, bonds and flaws, and I kinda ran out of ideas. My goal is to cover as much of the neutral, good, chaotic, lawful perhaps even evil specter of this background. Not only to suit this particular character I'm playing.

More ideas is very welcome!

Aetol
2015-09-20, 10:13 AM
Have you worked out with your DM mechanical benefits from your background feature ? Maybe something like this :

"You easily find shelter, fresh water or herbs and berries" : advantage on WIS (Survival) checks you make to forage.
"Nature will furthermore hide your tracks and allow you to rest and recuperate providing you with some kind of safety" : disadvantage on WIS (Survival) checks others make to track you.
"The trust of the nature have extended to the wildlife to some extent. Unless otherwise spooked they will see you as an ally" : advantage on WIS (Animal Handling) checks you make to interact with wild beasts.
"And even in places forgin (?), you will still know the places of the wild" : advantage on WIS (Survival) checks you make to navigate.

That may be too powerful in an exploration-centered adventure, though.

Ketiara
2015-09-20, 10:23 AM
I like the idea but Yea, perhaps it's a bit to many bonuses.
I've stolen the ideas from the folk hero: commoners will shelter and hide you if needed.
And outlander:even if you don't know the features of the terrain you still know the way of the wild.

And neither of these get bonuses.

I don't think my DM would allow something than no other background provides.

Aetol
2015-09-20, 11:52 AM
Then I guess it'll be up to your DM to decide on a case-by-case basis what the benefits will be.

Ketiara
2015-09-20, 01:07 PM
Then I guess it'll be up to your DM to decide on a case-by-case basis what the benefits will be.

Well I could ask him how he plans to deal with the different background features.

1Forge
2015-09-20, 09:47 PM
Really quick the backgrounds and bonuses are all swell and all...but how did a druid learn martial arts that surpass most soldiers? Maybe its a bonding with previous nature champion souls or something? All I know is that while armours easy to wear the nuances of sword play, grappling, footwork, and other martial arts take some time to master. Especially since you are excelling past most guardsmen and soldiers who train in those areas for a living. (maybe nature remembered the techniques of masters that trained their students in the woods and you have those memories)

JoeJ
2015-09-20, 09:58 PM
Really quick the backgrounds and bonuses are all swell and all...but how did a druid learn martial arts that surpass most soldiers? Maybe its a bonding with previous nature champion souls or something? All I know is that while armours easy to wear the nuances of sword play, grappling, footwork, and other martial arts take some time to master. Especially since you are excelling past most guardsmen and soldiers who train in those areas for a living. (maybe nature remembered the techniques of masters that trained their students in the woods and you have those memories)

He watched the animals and developed an unorthodox but effective fighting style by copying their movements, like the legendary origin of the five animal kung-fu styles.

CerealKiller
2015-09-20, 10:11 PM
Great idea for a background but I would also liek to see an evil side to being "Nature's Champion" such as doing anything to make nature overpower civilization

Ketiara
2015-09-21, 07:07 AM

Well technically I was transformed from a normal t1 druid to a shapeshifter, and got to change my ability scores, feats etc. That made me a martial treant in 3.5

Now with the conversion to 5e I found that ancients paladin fit the feel of my character the most.

The way I envision my change is sorta like Eragon (atleast I remember it as being Eragon) he gets empowered physically and gets faster and stronger than normal humans, and even more so than the elves.
'
My ancients paladin gets this boost, but i never figured out how I knew all the swordplay. But I really like your idea about absorbing the forests memory! (as in I'm totally gonna use it!)

Great idea for a background but I would also liek to see an evil side to being "Nature's Champion" such as doing anything to make nature overpower civilization

Yea I'm thinking that an evil natures champion or nature touched will fight civilization. I imagin him poisoning the waterwells, starting city fires, corrupting rulers, provoking wars/strife whatever to make men fight and kill eachother. "civilizations rise and fall with time, but why not hurry the process along?"

Ketiara
2015-09-25, 01:39 PM
Okey heres what Ive got:

When in the nature you will always find it hospital to you. You easiliy find shelter fresh water or herbs and berries. Nature will furthermore hide your tracks and allow you to rest and recuperate providing you with some kind of safety. The trust of nature has extended to the wildlife to some extend. Unless otherwise spooked they will see you as an ally.

I judge people by how they treat nature. I judge an area by how they interact with nature.
Nature can be ruthless or beautiful if you know how to be around it, as am I.
I get upset by excess use or waste of natures resources.
Ive always talked to trees and animals, city people think im wierd!

The nature must be worshipped and upheld. (law)
The beauty of nature is something everyone deserves to experience. (good)
The nature is ruthless the uglyest weed will conqure if its stronger! (Chaotic)
The nature will leech on weaker if possible. Weakness must be weeded out. (Evil)

Nature made me into a weapon, charging me to save it!
Nature chose me to help it! Infusing me with power to do so
Nature saved me, now I must save it!
Nature took me, I am now its vessal a servant of nature!

I secretly resent nature for changing me in order to help its goals
Im proud at being chosen by gods to do their bidding. And feel more worthy than everyone
I see each log and plank as a corpse of a friend.
My connection to nature lets it share its "feeling" with me, I hurt when nature hurt.

Okey as you see I have a few spots that can be filled to make a complete personality... Id like some help, and or some corrections to the background Ive already made! Hope you will help me out. ill try out one part of my personality tomorrow, im excited :D

djreynolds
2015-09-26, 05:44 AM
You know what I love about Norse Mythology, is its similarity to Greek. Actual books on the subject. I see the oath of Ancients, like angel guarding Eden when Adam and Eve were expelled. Or guarding Loki while he was chained, like Prometheus was, or Fenris the Wolf.

And you could have it that they guy you were guarding got set free and you have to hunt him down. You hire a ranger and rogue, stuff like that.

djreynolds
2015-09-27, 04:30 AM
Okey heres what Ive got:

When in the nature you will always find it hospital to you. You easiliy find shelter fresh water or herbs and berries. Nature will furthermore hide your tracks and allow you to rest and recuperate providing you with some kind of safety. The trust of nature has extended to the wildlife to some extend. Unless otherwise spooked they will see you as an ally.

I judge people by how they treat nature. I judge an area by how they interact with nature.
Nature can be ruthless or beautiful if you know how to be around it, as am I.
I get upset by excess use or waste of natures resources.
Ive always talked to trees and animals, city people think im wierd!

The nature must be worshipped and upheld. (law)
The beauty of nature is something everyone deserves to experience. (good)
The nature is ruthless the uglyest weed will conqure if its stronger! (Chaotic)
The nature will leech on weaker if possible. Weakness must be weeded out. (Evil)

Nature made me into a weapon, charging me to save it!
Nature chose me to help it! Infusing me with power to do so
Nature saved me, now I must save it!
Nature took me, I am now its vessal a servant of nature!

I secretly resent nature for changing me in order to help its goals
Im proud at being chosen by gods to do their bidding. And feel more worthy than everyone
I see each log and plank as a corpse of a friend.
My connection to nature lets it share its "feeling" with me, I hurt when nature hurt.

Okey as you see I have a few spots that can be filled to make a complete personality... Id like some help, and or some corrections to the background Ive already made! Hope you will help me out. ill try out one part of my personality tomorrow, im excited :D

Paladins need a mission. They're serious minded. That's where their strength comes from. You're torn, twisted, and focused. The fighter and barbarian in the party are there for adventure, you have a goal and without one fall apart. There is no defeat for you, only death or victory!!!!!!!!!!