PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building a warrior-necromancer Occultist

genderlich
2015-09-19, 03:48 PM
Basically I want to fight in melee with a sword and armor while also using necromancy, both raising/controlling undead and other "black magic"-type things. This game is starting at level 1 and going probably up to 10 or so, and I understand I probably won't be able to do as much actual necromancy as I wish I could at these low levels, but I still want to try as much as I can.

What I've probably decided to build this as is an Occultist, since they get medium armor and martial weapons as well as a pretty good selection of necromancy spells. The Necroccultist archetype seems very useful as well to expand my necromancy spell list. A downside is that I can't cast the actual Animate Dead spell until level 7, but there's no real way around that without switching to a divine spellcaster which doesn't fit my character concept. I also 100% have to be a tiefling due to my chosen backstory, but I have free choice of any of the alternate fiendish heritages without having to take the feat for it.

I just need to figure out how exactly I'm building this now. What do I spend my feats on, stuff to boost my melee skill or my necromancy? And what feats are those, even? Do I go two-handed weapon to get as much damage as I can out of my 3/4 BAB or sword and shield to shore up my d8 hit die with some extra protection? Which implement schools, focus powers, and spells do I learn? The Occultist is such a broad class with so many options that I feel a bit overwhelmed, so any advice would be appreciated.

Novawurmson
2015-09-19, 07:01 PM
My advice:

*Go 2 handed with Strength focus - preferably Str 18 minimum if you want to be in melee. That way you can focus on Strength and Int, then Con, then Dex and Wis if you have the rolls/PB. You don't have the feats to do a feat-heavy build like sword and board.

*Take Power Attack at level 3. The only exception is if your GM will let you take it at level 1 or retrain your level 1 feat at level 2 to get it. It's just too critical to melee damage.

*Take the Necromantic Servant focus power if you want to have undead around at low levels.

*Spirit Shroud is fairly useful as a defensive option.

*Transmutation looks pretty good (maybe take as your 6th level implement?) - haste, size increases, fly speed