PDA

View Full Version : Can feats be traded out for similar feats?

Masakan
2015-09-19, 04:41 PM
Like say for example i got dodge at level 1, and I wanted to trade it up for desert wind dodge once i met the prereq's could i do that?

torrasque666
2015-09-19, 04:49 PM
You can retrain through the PHB2 rules, or the DCFS, or if your DM is relatively reasonable, yes.

Troacctid
2015-09-19, 04:49 PM
Desert Wind Dodge has a unique provision that allows you to do that. Most feats don't. Refer to the text.

Jormengand
2015-09-19, 04:52 PM
Your DM might let you do it, but the PHB2 retraining rules force you to have been able to take the new feat at that time. It gives the example of a fgt 4/rog 1 trying to trade his 3rd-level feat: he can't trade it for Improved Critical because he doesn't meet the prereqs, but he can't trade it for Mobility either because he didn't at level 3. Desert Wind Dodge itself provides an exception, though.

Masakan
2015-09-19, 04:52 PM
Desert Wind Dodge has a unique provision that allows you to do that. Most feats don't. Refer to the text.

Oh nice it does! Sweet.

TheifofZ
2015-09-19, 08:32 PM
Feats that function similarly typically have a rules provision within their text that says they can be used in place of the other feat.
Improved toughness qualifying as toughness and variations on dodge and power attack qualifying as their base versions spring readily to mind.

If the feat looks functionally similar but does not have such a provision, then it's a case by case basis for your DM to check for you.