PDA

View Full Version : Biggest, Baddest, Blunt Weapon

cupkeyk
2007-05-15, 01:27 PM
My friend is joining our game and is making a massive brawler type. He is asking what the biggest baddest blunt weapon is.

Am I correct in saying that it's the maul from FRCS? If not which and why?

No homebrews please and cite the book.

Thanks.

Hurlbut
2007-05-15, 01:35 PM
Goliath Greathammer from Races of Stone, if he doesn't mind getting exotic weapon proficiency that is.
It deal the same damage as a greataxe, has x4 crit, and +2 bonus to sunder an enemy's weapon or shield. If your friend pick Goliath as his race or any other race that is large or has powerful build, it deal 3d6 damage.

Meat Shield
2007-05-15, 01:38 PM
I'm partial to the warmace (CWar?). A weapon so big and unwieldy that you take a -1 to AC everytime you use it!

Telonius
2007-05-15, 01:39 PM
Headbutt from a Warforged Juggernaut, maybe? :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 01:41 PM
Large Lucerne Hammer? Yay for hammer polearms.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-05-15, 01:50 PM
Maul of the Titans? Only ruled as a greathammer instead of a greatclub, since a hammer-shaped weapon being treated as a club is kind of weird.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-15, 01:57 PM
I'm partial to the warmace (CWar?). A weapon so big and unwieldy that you take a -1 to AC everytime you use it!

there's also a maul in that book. there's also the old but good greatclub.

Ramza00
2007-05-15, 01:58 PM
Goliath Greathammer from Races of Stone
1d12, x4 crit, +2 bonus to sunder an enemy's weapon or shield
Requires Exotic Weapon Profiency
With 4 size increases (read below for more info) it does 8d6 damage or 28 damage from the weapon alone

Greatclub from PHB
1d10, x2 crit
With 4 size increases (read below for more info) it does 6d8 damage or 27 damage from the weapon alone
Is wood and thus you can do brambles, spikes, on it for more damage

A monk Fists (11 lvls of Monk or Monk PRC+Superior Unarmed Strike+Monk Belt)
2d10, x2 crit
With 4 size increases (read below for more info) it does 12d8 damage or 54 damage from the weapon alone

------------------------

There is a great 3rd level wizard/sorc spell in Races of the Dragon called Greater Mighty Wallop. Cast it on a bludgeoning weapon via touch, lasts caster level*1 hour. Does Caster Level/4 virtual size increases (your weapon does more damage as if size increase but it remains the same size) up to a total of 5 size increases or your weapon is effectively Colossal in size.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 01:59 PM
There is a great 3rd level wizard/sorc spell in Races of the Dragon called Greater Mighty Wallop. Cast it on a bludgeoning weapon via touch, lasts caster level*1 hour. Does Caster Level/4 virtual size increases (your weapon does more damage as if size increase but it remains the same size) up to a total of 5 size increases or your weapon is effectively Colossal in size.

Quick, can you combine that with the Enlarge Weapon spell for extra doom?

Ramza00
2007-05-15, 02:09 PM
Quick, can you combine that with the Enlarge Weapon spell for extra doom?

Enlarge person you mean? I don't have my books on me, but they should stack up to collosal size. Note them stacking will only be useful to prior to caster level 16 (and thus level 15 or so).

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 02:30 PM
Enlarge person you mean? I don't have my books on me, but they should stack up to collosal size. Note them stacking will only be useful to prior to caster level 16 (and thus level 15 or so).

No, no, Enlarge Weapon, from CScn.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-15, 02:32 PM
Greater mighty wallop (CL 16) monk at 15 with monks belt, and improved natural weapon (unarmed strike).
2d10, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8, 16d8?

Or 2d10, 4d8, 8d6, 12d6, 16d6, 24d6?

Unless of course, the natural weapon "extra size of damage" counts towards the GMW stacking limit.

EDIT: Epic section of SRD has damage for colossal+ creatures, but they don't have monk levels :P

Hmmm. Giant sized improved natural weapon superior unarmed striking ECL 12 halfgiant with monk belt?

No. No 24d8. No.

Ramza00
2007-05-15, 02:36 PM
Greater mighty wallop (CL 16) monk at 15 with monks belt, and improved natural weapon (unarmed strike).
2d10, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8, 16d8?

Or 2d10, 4d8, 8d6, 12d6, 16d6, 24d6?

Unless of course, the natural weapon "extra size of damage" counts towards the GMW stacking limit.

How Greater Mighty Wallop stacks with Improved natural Weapon with sizes greater than collosal is iffy. Regardless it only really matters when your base monk damage is less than 2d10. This is because 12d8 is the maximum the table in DMG p29 goes too. Customer Service has ruled this is the max the rules says it goes, and what the DM does pass this is a houserule.

There is also a table in savage species that has numbers pass 12d8. Goes up to like 16d8 if I recall. Don't have my books on me.

No, no, Enlarge Weapon, from CScn.
And what does Enlarge Weapon from Complete Scoundrel do? Increase the size of the weapon, but you don't take penalties for inopprutune size weapons? How long does it last? Give me info :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2007-05-15, 02:44 PM
Enlarges the weapon one size category while maintaining the same effort needed to use it for rounds/level for all purposes including reach. Sor/Wiz 2.

Ramza00
2007-05-15, 02:56 PM
Enlarges the weapon one size category while maintaining the same effort needed to use it for rounds/level for all purposes including reach. Sor/Wiz 2.

It appears they probably don't stack, did a quick google search and enlarge weapon and enlarge person doesn't stack. Thus I am assuming (since I don't have my books) GMW doesn't stack with enlarge weapon.

For the original poster there is also the Strongarm Bracers for 6,000 gp wield weapons that are 1 size larger without penalty. MIC

Also the titan bloodline will allow you to wield warhammers up to the size of Gargantuan

Oversized Weapon (Ex)
A titan wields a great, two-handed warhammer (big enough for Gargantuan creatures) without penalty.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

Morgan_Scott82
2007-05-15, 03:38 PM
I've always been very partial to the flail, and feel it has the greatest cost/benefit profile in the game. Its martial so no need for the typical melee centric character to spend a feat, its one-handed so you can TWF or Sword and Board with it (without resorting to animated shield cheese), its got great damage for a one handed weapon, plus the bonus to Disarm and the ability to make trip attempts, its essentailly a spiked chain with 1.5 less average damage and no reach, but the added benefit of a free and useful off-hand.

Now if you throw power attack it the mix the incentive is so strong to go with a two handed weapon that the above analysis no longer makes sense. And the Greatsword comes into its element.

If you choose to consider exotic weapon proficiency there's really not much better from a damage perspective than the greatsword, so if damage is what you're concerned with then there is little incentive to go exotic weapons. Contrarily if you want versititly than exotice weapon proficiency nets you the Spiked chain, which has the same advantages of the flail listed above +1.5 greater average damage and reach.

If you go outside of core the options multiply so much that its difficult to give good analysis for them all, however the options outside core do make exotic weapon proficiency a much more attractive choice, particular good choices for the power attacker would be the goliath greathammer, or Maul.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-15, 04:55 PM
Pick a Heavy Flail. It has 19-20 crit.

For some unexplained reason.

JaronK
2007-05-15, 05:15 PM
If you've taken levels in Exotic Weapon Master, it's important to have a one handed exotic weapon... as such, a Maul (1d10 damage, 20/X3 crit, exotic, one handed) works well. If not, Goliath Greathammer with Greater Mighty Wallop will get the job done.

JaronK

Spiryt
2007-05-15, 05:27 PM
Crap, all stuff like this mighty wallop sometimes makes me think about stop playing D&D...

And baddest weapons for me is stuff like dire flail and other things with which you could kill yourself very nicely.:smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-05-16, 02:23 AM
I'd go with Duo-Wielding War Maces from C.War. 1h weapon (exotic proficency) which does d12 damage. Then get Oversized TWF and continue with the TWF chain.

Now then, be a Half-Giant PsiWar with the Expansion power and enough manifester levels to be able to augment it. Congratulations, you're duo-wielding 6d6 weapons. Have a nice day

Imrix.
2007-05-16, 03:45 AM
While it's not in a book, the Crom Feayr from Baldur's Gate 2 deserves a mention.

+5 warhammer that does 2d4 damage, sets your strength to 25 (which, in a game where the maximum base strength is 19 for a half-orc, is pretty awesome), and instantly kills trolls, golems and ettins on hit. No save, just slain outright if the thing hits, even if it does say... One damage. And no, the trolls don't regenerate from that.

Speed factor 1 too, so apart from people with weapons specifically designed for hammering off the attacks sharpish, you were at least striking at the same time as the enemy.

Lovely piece of kit, that.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-16, 04:15 AM
While it's not in a book, the Crom Feayr from Baldur's Gate 2 deserves a mention.

+5 warhammer that does 2d4 damage, sets your strength to 25 (which, in a game where the maximum base strength is 19 for a half-orc, is pretty awesome), and instantly kills trolls, golems and ettins on hit. No save, just slain outright if the thing hits, even if it does say... One damage. And no, the trolls don't regenerate from that.

Speed factor 1 too, so apart from people with weapons specifically designed for hammering off the attacks sharpish, you were at least striking at the same time as the enemy.

Lovely piece of kit, that.

That's in the Dungeons Master Guide under the name Hammer of Thunderbolts. In Baldurs Gate you have to combine the Hammer of Thunderbolts with Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Belt of Giant Strength. In DnD the Hammer of Thunderbolts just lets you stack Gauntlets of Ogre Power and a Belt of Giant Strength.

It doesn't do the instant kill stuff but it's the 3rd ed version of the same weapon.

Then again, the Hammer of Thunderbolts is a lame Mjolnier rip off. Mjolnier is the ultimate Bludgeoning weapon. It's a +5 chaotic distance ghost touch holy mighty cleaving (for some reason) returning thundering warhammer that deals 4d8 damage and can be thrown at any target regardless of range. Also weighs 2 tons and deals 4d8 con damage in you're not wearing Thor's gloves.

Lolth
2007-05-18, 06:44 PM
For pure twinky love?

Greathammer (not Goliath's Greathammer) from Monster Manual 4.

Exotic, D12 damage, x4 crit, bonus to sunder, yadda yadda...

AND its Threat range is 19-20, to make it truly ridiculous.

Hurlbut
2007-05-18, 08:08 PM
For pure twinky love?

Greathammer (not Goliath's Greathammer) from Monster Manual 4.

Exotic, D12 damage, x4 crit, bonus to sunder, yadda yadda...

AND its Threat range is 19-20, to make it truly ridiculous.Erm you forgot to mention who favored that particular weapon :smallyuk:

storybookknight
2007-05-18, 08:40 PM
The Greathammer (from MM4) was errata'ed. It's crit range is 20/x4, not 19-20/x4.

puppyavenger
2007-05-18, 09:19 PM
Wait, Thor is good? Oh yah next you'll say that Zeus and Posiden are good

(happily throws copy of dieties's and demigods into fire)

Hurlbut
2007-05-18, 09:30 PM
The Greathammer (from MM4) was errata'ed. It's crit range is 20/x4, not 19-20/x4.
Then that essentailly make it same as the Goliath Greathammer.

TheOOB
2007-05-19, 12:39 AM
The best blunt weapon is a wall of iron, I once played in a team where I would summon the wall, then the monk would kick it only a group of enemies, after which he picked it up and used it as an improvised weapon (ahh drunken master, we love thee.)

OzymandiasVolt
2007-05-19, 12:44 AM
How about a chained-up halfing wielded as an improvised two-handed weapon?

Hurlbut
2007-05-19, 02:02 AM
The best blunt weapon is a wall of iron, I once played in a team where I would summon the wall, then the monk would kick it only a group of enemies, after which he picked it up and used it as an improvised weapon (ahh drunken master, we love thee.)
Wait what? a WALL of iron? :confused:

Quietus
2007-05-19, 02:21 AM
Wait what? a WALL of iron? :confused:

One of the drunken master's abilities is that you can use basically anything you can lift as an improvised weapon. In fact, I don't believe it says that you actually have to be able to lift it. I'd have to check.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-19, 05:10 AM
Wait, Thor is good? Oh yah next you'll say that Zeus and Posiden are good

(happily throws copy of dieties's and demigods into fire)

Thor is probably Chaotic Neutral but he's not neccesaraly bad at heart. He might be good if he wasn't drunk and unforgiving. However since I think you have to have an alignment to craft a weapon of that alignment and I doubt Norse Dwarves (also know as Dark Elves) are CG so Mjolnier being Chaotic and Holy makes no sense.