PDA

View Full Version : Just hit a deer. What should I do?

Peelee
2015-09-19, 08:47 PM
Deer was already dead, but a guy was trying to pull it off the road, and i didn't see it until i was right on top of it. Guy jumped out of the way, so I tried to get the deer between my wheels as best i could (split second decision, don't know if I'm supposed to do that or not; ive had no training on what to do if you are about to run over a dead deer). Guy is perfectly fine, car has no damage at all, just some blood and a bit of fur on the back. Planning to wash it tomorrow. Anything else I should look out for or get checked just in case? I don't really know what all is in the undercarriage or how deer friction reacts with it.

Mammal
2015-09-19, 10:36 PM
I believe you're supposed to inform the Department of Natural Resources or road services so they can remove the carcass. If nothing else, call the non-emergency police number in your area. After that, it's mostly about taking care of yourself, your passengers, and your vehicle. I'd probably take my car into a mechanic just to let them have a look-see, figure out if there was any damage to the undercarriage. I'm glad you're all right, though, stay safe!

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-19, 11:27 PM
Having hit a deer -- and being charged headlong by a buck once -- I think that there's going to be a lot more damage if the deer's on its feet than if it's already dead. Usually, hitting one smashes one of the headlights and may dent the side of the car as it flops along it before falling in the roadway behind.

You probably should get the undercarriage looked at, though, just in case.

sktarq
2015-09-19, 11:37 PM
Rules vary by state. Contact local sheriff/Dept. of Fish&Game/local equivalent.

In many cases you can keep the carcass for yummy yummy dinners and if not various deputies may know food insecure families that could benefit.

Brother Oni
2015-09-20, 07:44 AM
Rules vary by state. Contact local sheriff/Dept. of Fish&Game/local equivalent.

In many cases you can keep the carcass for yummy yummy dinners and if not various deputies may know food insecure families that could benefit.

Interestingly enough, over in the UK, you're not allowed to stop if you hit a deer, unless your vehicle is obviously unsafe. The person behind you however is allowed to stop and take the carcass home to eat. Presumably this law was imposed to stop people hunting deer by ramming them with cars.

comicshorse
2015-09-20, 07:49 AM
So cars should hunt in pairs ? One to make the kill the other to grab it :smallcool:

Brother Oni
2015-09-20, 08:02 AM
So cars should hunt in pairs ? One to make the kill the other to grab it :smallcool:

That's what I thought as well, but as you know, UK laws can be archaic and half arsed at times.

In any case, it would have made Bambi a lot different, that's for sure. :smalltongue:

BannedInSchool
2015-09-20, 08:19 AM
Plant a gun on it so you can claim it was in self defense. Maybe one of those bandit masks too.

Brother Oni
2015-09-20, 09:17 AM
Plant a gun on it so you can claim it was in self defense. Maybe one of those bandit masks too.

Give Bambi guns, you say? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJz2IMUeDE)

Grinner
2015-09-20, 09:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/VUm14X5.jpg

cobaltstarfire
2015-09-20, 09:36 AM

It's a REALLY bad idea to keep and eat the carcass of a deer that has been hit, if any of the guts were ruptured you've got a bunch of tainted meat on your hands.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-20, 09:44 AM
Interestingly enough, over in the UK, you're not allowed to stop if you hit a deer, unless your vehicle is obviously unsafe. The person behind you however is allowed to stop and take the carcass home to eat. Presumably this law was imposed to stop people hunting deer by ramming them with cars.

Judging by the amount of damage hitting a deer does to your vehicle, that would be a mighty expensive hunting technique. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2015-09-20, 09:49 AM
Fixed OP. Welcome to Alabama, where the rednecks are mighty nice people and will do simple stuff themselves instead of getting the gov'ment involved. And EVERYONE has a neighbor who hunts and will give them spare venison. Road deer is for Georgia people.

I'll get the undercarriage checked out just in case. Thanks!

Grinner
2015-09-20, 10:52 AM
Judging by the amount of damage hitting a deer does to your vehicle, that would be a mighty expensive hunting technique. :smallbiggrin:

Case in point. (http://imgur.com/t/get_well_soon/97qVi)*

*You may not want to click on this if you're of a weak constitution. (Edit: or if at work)

Wardog
2015-09-20, 02:11 PM

I presume you mean you are not allowed to keep a deer you hit. I would be very, very surprised if the law says you can't stop after hitting one.

Peelee
2015-09-20, 02:23 PM
Case in point. (http://imgur.com/t/get_well_soon/97qVi)*

*You may not want to click on this if you're of a weak constitution. (Edit: or if at work)

Did.... did that deer explode?!? Multiple times, and at various points inside the car?!? Seriously, i really hope that's all deer blood and not human. Thats horrible.

Grinner
2015-09-20, 02:52 PM
Did.... did that deer explode?!? Multiple times, and at various points inside the car?!? Seriously, i really hope that's all deer blood and not human. Thats horrible.

The occupant apparently suffered "minor injuries" but, on the whole, was fine.

Ravens_cry
2015-09-20, 04:02 PM
♪ Old MacDonald hit a deer, eee, I, ooh, ow, wow. With a deer, deer, here and a deer, deer there, eeh, I, ow, wow. . . .♫

Brother Oni
2015-09-20, 06:44 PM
I presume you mean you are not allowed to keep a deer you hit. I would be very, very surprised if the law says you can't stop after hitting one.

Now that I think about it, you're most likely right. I probably initially heard it third or fourth hand so I did some digging and the 'not allowed to pick up what you've killed' is more for stopping the driving of deer with motor vehicles, which is an explicit offense.

This pages covers it in more detail (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31046), however it mentions the possibility of council/government despatch teams putting injured animals out of their misery with a chemical agent and there may be a gap before the cleanup crews pick up the carcass for some member of the public to chance across it, so if you find a dead animal on the roadside, it may be safer not to eat it. Even freshly killed animals may have the aforementioned issue of tainted meat from the intestines or other internal organs bursting, so I'll probably still be getting my fresh meat from the supermarket or butchers for the foreseeable future. :smalltongue:

BannedInSchool
2015-09-20, 07:41 PM
It's a little known fact that's how the Merry Men poached the King's deer.

comicshorse
2015-09-20, 07:46 PM
And how King John oppressed the common people with taxi's

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-20, 08:42 PM
Up here on the empty northern Wisconsin roads, there's no need to worry about putting the poor beast out of its misery. The collisions occur at such speed that I've never seen one do more than twitch slightly once or twice. "Pulverized" is a good description.

Mind you, I once saw some guy out by the roadside with a huge hunting knife, bloody to the shoulders, cutting steaks off a freshly roadkilled deer, sniffing them thoroughly before either throwing them in the ditch or tossing them into a big plastic cooler. Most of them appeared to be going into the cooler. :smalleek:

sktarq
2015-09-21, 04:54 PM
It's a REALLY bad idea to keep and eat the carcass of a deer that has been hit, if any of the guts were ruptured you've got a bunch of tainted meat on your hands.

I would agree except for the fact that many people do. And I've heard more than couple of rural law types who keep lists of people who will be happy to pick up the meat-usually the rural VERY poor. So while it is not ideal it seems to work okay. But yeah be extra careful cleaning the carcass.

Killer Angel
2015-09-22, 06:40 AM

That would be much less of an issue, if you just cut away a thigh from a very fresh carcass

JakOfAllTirades
2015-09-23, 01:58 AM
It's a shame you can't keep it. My instinctive reaction was "Find a good butcher, quick!" A sizable deer would keep you well fed for quite a while.

MrZJunior
2015-09-23, 09:17 AM
Does'nt roadkilled deer usually have bits of glass and asphalt and junk lodged in it?

Peelee
2015-09-23, 09:32 AM
It's a shame you can't keep it. My instinctive reaction was "Find a good butcher, quick!" A sizable deer would keep you well fed for quite a while.

I have a good butcher, actually. Though not working with roadkill is part of what makes them good, I believe.

Rockphed
2015-09-26, 09:21 PM
I have a good butcher, actually. Though not working with roadkill is part of what makes them good, I believe.

Not selling roadkill is what makes them respectable. Being able to only process out the non-tainted meat is what makes them good. That said, I have never had occasion to have roadkill butchered, so I can't say more.

veti
2015-10-01, 04:38 PM
Give Bambi guns, you say? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJz2IMUeDE)

I think you meant to link here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqs8PqFab0o).

Blackhawk748
2015-10-01, 04:47 PM
Roadkill deer is ok, it largely depends how it was hit, which is usually really obvious. That being said you can claim the deer if the Police give you a Roadkill tag, you have to ask for one though.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-03, 02:40 PM
I recommend thin cuts in a smoker with applewood chips for some. Pan fry some with a mesquite rub and a bit of BBQ sauce. Serve with mashed taters and green beans/ fiddleheads.

Peelee
2015-10-03, 05:38 PM
I recommend thin cuts in a smoker with applewood chips for some. Pan fry some with a mesquite rub and a bit of BBQ sauce. Serve with mashed taters and green beans/ fiddleheads.

Fun fact: Tabasco buys Jack Daniels whiskey barrels to make their sauce in, and once they're at the end of their effective lives, the company chops em up and sells em as smoker chips.

In short, applewood chips are for peasants who dont have in-laws in Louisiana.

An Enemy Spy
2015-10-10, 11:15 PM
Well as any expert will tell you, your first response should always be to immediately log in to a Dungeons and Dragons forum and ask for advice. So good on you there.

Peelee
2015-10-11, 10:22 AM
Well as any expert will tell you, your first response should always be to immediately log in to a Dungeons and Dragons forum and ask for advice. So good on you there.

Well, yeah. Ask any player in a campaign - they know EXACTLY how to get out of any situation.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-11, 05:00 PM
Well, yeah. Ask any player in a campaign - they know EXACTLY how to get out of any situation.

Yes. The answer is always "Eat the body. Sell the loot."

DataNinja
2015-10-11, 05:09 PM
Yes. The answer is always "Eat the body. Sell the loot."

Mmmmmm... Gelatinous cube jello.

SalmaHayek
2015-10-14, 11:31 PM
Roadkill deer is ok, it largely depends how it was hit, which is usually really obvious. That being said you can claim the deer if the Police give you a Roadkill tag, you have to ask for one though.

You are right.