PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Unusual Picks for Planar Binding (including Lesser / Greater)

Nifft
2015-09-19, 08:54 PM
I was looking for interesting summons when I noticed this gem: Crysmal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/crysmal.htm).

It's a 6 HD Elemental (so not in any of the Outsider-oriented handbooks) with a +2 Charisma bonus. Its stated goal in life is acquiring ~250 gp worth of gemstones so it can reproduce, which probably makes it relatively easy to bargain with, if you have a way to speak Terran.

Its powers are pretty useful:
- Control Object at-will (disposable construct minion all day and +4 Circumstance bonus on Open Locks checks).
- Control Sound at-will (+4 Circumstance bonus to Move Silently and Listen checks for the whole party).
- Dimension Door 3/day (without the usual "self +50 lbs" limit).
- Immunity to Fire and Cold, DR 5/bludgeoning and resist 15 Electricity; plus Elemental traits like poison immunity make it useful for fetching stuff in dangerous terrain.
- Spot +10, Listen +6 (including +4 Circumstance bonus), it can make a very loud noise at-will, and it doesn't sleep -- it's a decent backup guard-dog.

Nothing game-breaking, but lots of at-will utility.

What are your unusual Planar Binding picks?

Milo v3
2015-09-20, 09:07 AM
Aasimar/Tieflings with 6/12/18 levels in cleric/druid/wizard.

Nifft
2015-09-20, 10:40 AM
Aasimar/Tieflings with 6/12/18 levels in cleric/druid/wizard.

Heh, that's cute.

But if you're allowed NPCs with class levels, Aasimar and Tiefling are poor choices.

A Sylph Sorceress -- or just an advanced Sylph -- blows those out of the water for Arcane spells at all levels.

There are Celestials who are strictly better Clerics at 12 or 18 HD.

Casting spells above your HD seems better.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-09-20, 11:07 AM
But if you're allowed NPCs with class levels, Aasimar and Tiefling are poor choices.

The only NPCs with class levels I know that you can get for sure are Divine Minions and you can be a cleric to a Mulhorandi god to get them. (You can also summon level 6 versions with Summon Monster V).