PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed For Totemist... [essentia]

SangoProduction
2015-09-19, 09:31 PM
I know that the Bonus Essentia feat is considered a good investment because it grants +2 essentia if you ...well, use essentia...

However, I've not played with Essentia characters at all before. Are the other feats that grant just +1 essentia, any good?

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-19, 09:40 PM
I know that the Bonus Essentia feat is considered a good investment because it grants +2 essentia if you ...well, use essentia...

However, I've not played with Essentia characters at all before. Are the other feats that grant just +1 essentia, any good?

Some of them can be, depending on what you're doing. Cobalt power doesn't suck on a melee character, for example.

NomGarret
2015-09-19, 10:14 PM
One or two of them occasionally are. Unfortunately they lock essence invested in them for a day, so you won't really get value out of the ability to dump points into will saves in a pinch. Before taking it, I would look over your build and see where your default essence spreads fall and ask yourself "is it worth a feat to boost my 3rd/4th soul meld by one?"

Talionis
2015-09-20, 07:40 AM
Midnight Dodge counts as Dodge for prerequisites. So if it can count as a prerequisite it's great. I think Soulsight can be treated as Blindsight for prerequisite purposes.

If you have ways to invest essentia into the with some other mechanic then they increase in value. I think there is a psionic feat that allows you to expend your psionic focus and fill even the feats. One of the ones I've used is the feats that increase your saves, especially your weak save.

A tripper might not mind locking essentia in Cobalt tactics since it's a big part of what you are focusing your build on.

But genereally, the answer is no, feats are too precious. Part of playing a character with essentia is deciding where to put the essentia and locking essentia into feats is painful.

Psyren
2015-09-20, 09:04 AM
For Soulborns, yes, because you get three of them as bonus feats and so you don't have to spend your actual feats picking those up. They need all the essentia they can get since they don't get any at all until 6th level. When you get all three by 11th, you actually end up doubling your essentia (from 3 to 6.)

Cobalt Power was mentioned; another good one for them is Sapphire Smite as it gives them more uses of Smite Opposition per day, which is actually superior to Smite Evil because you can smite two alignments with it. Cobalt Charge is also good.

Aleolus
2015-09-20, 01:05 PM
Totemists don't get Smite, and this thread was about Totemists

Psyren
2015-09-20, 02:13 PM
Totemists don't get Smite, and this thread was about Totemists

The body of the OP simply asked if [Incarnum] feats are good choices. For Totemists, the answer to that is generally no, so I pointed out a class that can actually use them.