PDA

View Full Version : Humble Bundle: absurdly cheap GameMaker

danzibr
2015-09-19, 10:25 PM
So right now there's an amazing deal on Humble Bundle. GameMaker: Studio and a ton of other stuff for $12, to simplify thing. Supposedly almost $600 worth of stuff.

Anyone going to buy this? Already have? Thoughts?

I've been using the free version, having a good time. Before too long I'll be making educational math games (I'm a math teacher with a love for games). Other games too.

NichG
2015-09-20, 12:23 AM
I think it depends what you want to do with it.

In my case, I received a free license for Gamemaker Pro at one point as a promotional thing, but I found that actually that didn't include most of the platform export modules. So that 'free' gift would have been very much not free if I had decided to use Gamemaker to make a commercial product and then found that, oh, if I want it to work on Android or iPhone or in the browser, each of those would be a $200-$300 module I'd have to buy separately. So that kind of gave me a bad taste about the whole thing, like it was a bit of a bait and switch.

It looks like this bundle has Pro (which includes Windows, Linux, and Mac) and the Android export module specifically (most of the $568 price is coming from the Android module specifically, which is $300 on their site). So these concerns might not be so much of an issue here.

danzibr
2015-09-20, 07:27 AM
I think it depends what you want to do with it.

In my case, I received a free license for Gamemaker Pro at one point as a promotional thing, but I found that actually that didn't include most of the platform export modules. So that 'free' gift would have been very much not free if I had decided to use Gamemaker to make a commercial product and then found that, oh, if I want it to work on Android or iPhone or in the browser, each of those would be a $200-$300 module I'd have to buy separately. So that kind of gave me a bad taste about the whole thing, like it was a bit of a bait and switch.

It looks like this bundle has Pro (which includes Windows, Linux, and Mac) and the Android export module specifically (most of the $568 price is coming from the Android module specifically, which is $300 on their site). So these concerns might not be so much of an issue here.
Indeed, indeed. Good point. I was typing the OP on my phone; otherwise I would have mentioned that.

As for me, I plan on buying the ability to make iOS games too, so at some point I'm going to spend an extra $300. I intended to spend this anyway so it works out, but I see what you mean.