PDA

View Full Version : any advice for my barbarian fighter build

cheezu
2015-09-19, 11:57 PM
im building a barbarian fighter epic character the game were gonna be playing is starting at lvl 25
im wanting to use a goliath for the race
and need at least 6 lvls of fighter so i can get dungeon crasher and combine that with the knock back and knockdown feats respectively
i wanted to avoid going a magic route if i can but im not opposed if it keeps with the flavor of the build
basically i want to max out his strength but still make him survivable
barbarian seamed the easiest route for that and it mixes well with the flavor of a huge guy swinging a 60lb hammer around sending people flying,
ive figured i could get his strength when raging to around 51 at that lvl granit i would be lvl 24 not 25 if i use the goliath but ill be using the level buy off system so ill only be 3000 xp behind

we have 2.1 mill gold to buy gear and its a 40 point buy in i was going to start his str at 22 and go from there
he can be any alignment except evil for this campaign and id like to give him the fly ability so i can bull rush opponents into the ground

ive got the most of this build figured out im just looking for tweaks and fixes to make him a survivable like what gear should i get him or if i should mix in some other classes to make him able to survive those epic levels also any tips on what feats would work well with this build

TheifofZ
2015-09-20, 03:54 AM
If you're doing 40 point buy in, then your ideal base stats should actually be something more like
18 Str, 16 Con, 14 Dex, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha before racials.

After that, get items for +Str, Con, and Dex.

Second point is: 1 Barbarian/ 6 Fighter is solid as a base chassis. Consider grabbing a template or race to grant you Large size (half minotaur is good), and then go into Warhulk.
If you focus more on hitting stuff, going back to fighter after that isn't a bad choice for the extra feats and to get the full BAB progression; you'll still end up alittle shy of +20 because Warhulk doesn't actually progress BaB at all, but you'll actually come out ahead.
The +20 Str that warhulk grants over the 10 levels is amazing, and the bonus abilities are pretty solid too.

cheezu
2015-09-20, 07:59 AM
If you're doing 40 point buy in, then your ideal base stats should actually be something more like
18 Str, 16 Con, 14 Dex, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 10 Cha before racials.

After that, get items for +Str, Con, and Dex.

Second point is: 1 Barbarian/ 6 Fighter is solid as a base chassis. Consider grabbing a template or race to grant you Large size (half minotaur is good), and then go into Warhulk.
If you focus more on hitting stuff, going back to fighter after that isn't a bad choice for the extra feats and to get the full BAB progression; you'll still end up alittle shy of +20 because Warhulk doesn't actually progress BaB at all, but you'll actually come out ahead.
The +20 Str that warhulk grants over the 10 levels is amazing, and the bonus abilities are pretty solid too.

cool thats about what i figured for his starting base stats and i was planing on being a goliath who counts as large when it suits him which i believe qualifies him for war hulk cause it qualifies him for knock back and hurler wich both need to be large to use though im not sure

does anyone have any other ideas i do like the warhulk but it would make me nearly useless outside of combat cause of the nerf to my mental stats
but the 20 str is amazing especially considering the dungeon crasher build multiplies str by 3 combined with valorous charge and the flying ability could be brutal, i do wonder if i would qualify for warhulk as a goliath though

plus any ideas on gear
i figured my weapon is going to be a goliath warhammer mainly for flavor but that x4 is amazing, i was gonna give it valorous, furious, and speed enchantment
but idk as far as armor goes i know my dex won't be good so ill probably be in heavy armor unless someone has a better idea for armor

Hal0Badger
2015-09-20, 12:08 PM
After you get your essential feats via fighter-barbarian levels, you might want to look at "Runescared Berserker", so that you will access to spells like Righteous Might (huge size with mountain rage, 15 ft reach, 30 ft with spiked chain) or Anti-magic aura. If you take the Wolf Berserker feat to qualify for the PRC, you can get +4 to both on your trip attempts and to resist against trip, and you can select it Improved trip without getting combat expertise (though you can always use the ACF of course). PRC also increases your daily rage uses, rage bonuses (makes it mighty) and damage reduction. If you can convince your DM to change damage reduction into Street Fighter ACF (Cityscape web enchantment), it is even better.

Edit: also check the template, Blooded one:

str +2 con +4 int -2, free feat:combat reflexes, a minor 1/day ability, +2 natural armor. Can be added later on. Buyout your LA at level 3, then add the template. Profit :)