PDA

View Full Version : What are your Dreams, Playground?

zoobob9
2015-09-20, 01:13 AM
Hey Playground! I've been thinking about dreams.

I'd rent a house with other members of a musical group, akin to the movie Frank (or the Trout Mask House for you Beefheart fans). When hanging out at home, everybody would be playing music or writing poetry or painting, for no reasons other than art for art's sake. We'd archive all of the work created and publish it in the public domain.

I'd also like to retire in the mountains and raise dogs.

How about you guys? What are some of your dreams, whether pragmatic or far-fetched?

PallElendro
2015-09-22, 02:32 PM
I've often dreamt of earning a doctorate in Aeronautics Engineering, apply for NASA, and come up with the designs for an FTL drive so that I might pilot it myself in hopes I get to be the first person to publicly meet an extraterrestrial.

Edit: In short, be the IRL Zefram Cochrane.

BananaPhone
2015-09-23, 12:57 AM
Have the $$ to buy a decommissioned oil rig and renovate it with lovely living quarters, recreation facilities and well-stocked laboratories, bring on board various geneticists/biochemists/molecular biologists/immunologists etc to conduct my experiments into unlocking more of biologies secrets to the point that we could design a new life-form from scratch and away from the prying eyes of the ethics committee that are always sticking their nose in my business. Or create artificial wombs and implant them with modified embryo's that develop into viable human beings. That'd be good fun.

Or clone dinosaurs. Develop educational software that helps more people become involved in and enjoy learning about biology. Developing and marketing bio-luminescent cats, dogs and plants.

Establishing a network of houses/shelters/homes for the rescued victims of human trafficking. Helping the raise the standard of living in whatever community I decide to settle down in. Help reform the justice system so great swathes of entire generations don't end up economically and socially crippled for life over stupid mistakes they made in their youth.

Maybe buy the Disney Corporation, though that's a fairly unrealistic and more of a fantasy than anything.

Murk
2015-09-23, 03:11 PM
For me it always was being self-sufficient. I wanted a plot somewhere in the mountains and forests, and achieve all the skills to cut trees, build a house, keep goats and geese and pigs and moose, mine some stone, build a cellar - in the dream, it gradually keeps getting better and better. Every time I have some time to spare, I would build another room, weave another carpet, build a couch, whatever.
The fact that I have none of these skills didn't really matter. It was nice to dream about - only needing other people when my huge stack of toilet paper ran out (I don't think it's possible to make your own toilet paper. Not as soft and nice).

It was a good dream, until someone made a computer game and I realised my dream was pretty much minecraft. Now I need a new dream.

Spanish_Paladin
2015-09-23, 04:05 PM
To love and be loved, as the majority of Mankind i guess.

Fri
2015-09-24, 08:16 AM
Live in a household/apartment complex with some close friends, and have wacky shenanigans and non-convoluted love story. So basically I guess my deepest dream is to live in a sitcom?

Kalmageddon
2015-09-24, 10:03 AM
Lead a secessionist movement, followed by cunning economical tactics to restore the Republic of Venice with me as the first new Doge.
Just because I'd find it really, really cool. Not because of any political beliefs, which is why I'm mentioning it here. :smalltongue:

shawnhcorey
2015-09-24, 10:04 AM
To write my own programming language. Only I'm getting bogged down in minutiae. :smallfrown:

Dienekes
2015-09-24, 10:08 AM
Travel to those 200+ places I have on my list.
Write that book I've been making in my head since I was 15
Finish up that TTRPG and figure out the details to get it to play like I want it to.
To do something amazing, not sure what exactly, but something that people remember after I've died.

Murk
2015-09-24, 12:57 PM
Lead a secessionist movement, followed by cunning economical tactics to restore the Republic of Venice with me as the first new Doge.
Just because I'd find it really, really cool. Not because of any political beliefs, which is why I'm mentioning it here. :smalltongue:

Sadly, there are barely any Venetians left in Venice. I think it's mostly rich tourists there now.
However, several projects have been very succesful in building new islands (I lived in on an artificial island in the Netherlands my entire youth, together with 600,000 other people) - how about building your own archipelago and making it a Merchant Republic?

Kalmageddon
2015-09-24, 03:50 PM
Sadly, there are barely any Venetians left in Venice. I think it's mostly rich tourists there now.
However, several projects have been very succesful in building new islands (I lived in on an artificial island in the Netherlands my entire youth, together with 600,000 other people) - how about building your own archipelago and making it a Merchant Republic?

Oh we are few, but we still exist.
Many of us retreated to the countryside (which for us means anything beyond the Liberty Bridge, including major metropolitan areas) out of necessity but if Venice calls, we will be there. :smalltongue:

Your idea is nice, though, might use it as a backup plan.

alaalba_123
2015-09-25, 12:06 AM
I'd like to work on Artificial Intelligence algorithms, and perfect them to the point of recreating my own mind in digital form.

Half-Lord
2015-09-28, 10:26 PM
Find myself at the top of the New York Times' best seller list.

The Bandicoot
2015-09-28, 11:24 PM
Wife, 2.4 kids, white picket fence..... Oh! And a T-Rex with a death laser mounted on its back.

Hawkstar
2015-09-29, 09:04 AM
Well... my latest dream had me at a zoo playing with ducklings. I was on a mission with Garrus Vakarian. For some reason, I dream in 3rd-person, and was some sort of werecat. Any time the krogan patrols in the zoo came near my location, I'd jump up to the top of one of the animal enclosures until it passed. It was a very weird dream, and I managed to remember it because I was half woken up in the middle of it to go to church, which led to a really, really weird combination of reality and dream.

... Not that kind of dream? Well, I do wish I could write a cool post-apocalyptic comic, and I also want to see an awesome Star Fox movie.

Have the $$ to buy a decommissioned oil rig and renovate it with lovely living quarters, recreation facilities and well-stocked laboratories, bring on board various geneticists/biochemists/molecular biologists/immunologists etc to conduct my experiments into unlocking more of biologies secrets to the point that we could design a new life-form from scratch and away from the prying eyes of the ethics committee that are always sticking their nose in my business. Or create artificial wombs and implant them with modified embryo's that develop into viable human beings. That'd be good fun.
Dr. Moreau, I presume?

Crow
2015-09-29, 05:30 PM
Living out my last days in Iceland. Still a few years off, but on track financially. Just need them to agree to take me.

Jay R
2015-10-01, 09:46 PM
Wife, 2.4 kids, white picket fence..... Oh! And a T-Rex with a death laser mounted on its back.

I was about to post that the thread is over. Hipho has won.

But my wife reminded me of this:

Oh, yeah. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVZ45oflZ8o)

Bobbybobby99
2015-10-05, 05:59 AM
I shall gradually build a business empire by discretely purchasing the 72 current cultivars of Venus Flytrap, and reproducing them using tissue culture, before reproducing their reproductions and reproducing their reproducing reproductions, in an endless cycle of exponential growth! I will build an online store! I will sell them at competitive prices! I will outcompete flytrapstore by copying off any innovations they make and simultaneously breeding my own! I will become rich and successful enough to buy almost all of the other companies off! I will hope that it is a niche enough market that nobody will care about an effective monopoly! I will then cackle evily, and use lots of exclamation points!!!

FLHerne
2015-10-05, 04:21 PM
- Learn to build and sail boats.
- Build a sailing barge (proper one, not a silly plastic yacht).
- Live on it while travelling slowly around the world. :smallsmile:

I really don't like unexpected visitors, noise, phone calls (must be the only teenager in the UK without a mobile), but love to travel and build things. This seems like a good plan to me.

Shorter-term one is to buy a narrowboat and trundle around the canal network, which is probably more achievable. :smallconfused:

BananaPhone
2015-10-05, 07:28 PM
Dr. Moreau, I presume?

No :smalltongue:.

Velaryon
2015-10-10, 11:13 AM
I have many dreams now and then, some of which are mutually exclusive. Here are the ones that spring to mind today:

Own my own private island in either the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean (both appeal, for different reasons). I would bring friends there on occasion but otherwise be quite alone except perhaps for people hired to cook and clean.

Own an aircraft carrier, a couple of jets, a helicopter, and enough money to keep them all running with appropriate crew.

So apparently those dreams are the beginnings of my secret desire to become a Bond villain, or something.

I have a long list of countries I would love to visit, including but not limited to: Australia, Brazil, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Spain, and Thailand.

There are at least half a dozen martial arts I would like to study, some of them in their countries of origin (hence some of the places on my list above).

I dream of being a successful fantasy author sometimes, but I've never so much as written a short story, so I guess I'm not motivated enough to actually do it.

Jeff the Green
2015-10-10, 01:53 PM
I want to go back to school and get my PhD. And somehow not have my career consist primarily of applying for grants.

Tvtyrant
2015-10-10, 02:17 PM
Make enough money to buy a lighthouse and live in it. Particularly this (http://www.sitkarealty.com/ForSaleDetail.aspx?Profile=499)one.

Alent
2015-10-11, 12:34 AM
I feel like mine are too simple after seeing some of the others.

I want to get my video game development company off the ground, at the moment that means stealing time where I can to work on my console style RPG project. Eventually I want to be successful enough at that to quit the job I hate with an absolute passion, then hopefully save and invest enough to where I could do it at leisure rather than all the time because I need money to survive.

I'd also like to get a greenhouse I can use for growing my own food with an aquaponics system. I'm not a doomsday prepper or off the grid type or anything, I just like the idea of fresh food every morning and can't realistically expect fresh from the local grocers.

Past that... I dunno, I'd like for medical science to figure out how to fix the tendon problems in my dominant arm.

I guess if I get a lot of money I'd like an Aeroscraft. I've always thought it'd be awesome to have a flying house.

Jordan Cat
2015-10-11, 11:24 PM
Seeing all of the above has made me feel that mine is much more mundane than I originally thought.

My dream is simply to own a decent sized home, with a hot tub and a pool, be debt free and have a decent job that let's me build up savings for retirement. While writing books in my free time.

Grinner
2015-10-11, 11:40 PM
Seeing all of the above has made me feel that mine is much more mundane than I originally thought.

My dream is simply to own a decent sized home, with a hot tub and a pool, be debt free and have a decent job that let's me build up savings for retirement. While writing books in my free time.

I think there's something to be said for realistic aspirations. :smallsmile:

Peelee
2015-10-12, 03:46 PM
I'd go to the beach.

Jay R
2015-10-12, 09:07 PM
To be able to convince people to think competently, to not hate any group (including "haters"), and to work together, even with people they don't like.

Crow
2015-10-12, 10:00 PM
To be able to convince people to think competently, to not hate any group (including "haters"), and to work together, even with people they don't like.

That's called being a "leader".

Velaryon
2015-10-13, 01:00 AM

I deliberately posted some of my grander dreams, the ones I would like to do if money was absolutely no object, but the truth is that I could be happy with much simpler. I would be content with a steady full-time librarian job, a loving relationship, independence from my family, and enough free time to see my friends and keep up gaming now and then.

Comrade
2015-10-13, 01:03 AM
To make a positive difference, regardless of scope. Love and be loved, as somebody said. And I guess being happy wouldn't be too bad, either.

Jay R
2015-10-13, 09:30 AM
To be able to convince people to think competently, to not hate any group (including "haters"), and to work together, even with people they don't like.That's called being a "leader".

Oh, great. So my noble quest to help everyone is equivalent to taking over the world.

There's a philosophical moral there somewhere, I suppose.

Eldariel
2015-10-13, 09:30 AM
It seems I'm already living most of my mundane dreams.

From here on, I'd love to work on pedagogy and find superior approaches to passing information onwards to other people (and to see them implemented and hopefully to see people benefit). I'd love to reach fluency in 10 languages just to test the claim that learning additional languages becomes trivially easy at that point. Some further insight to cognition in general would also be most welcome and I'd love to do something meaningful to advance that. Oh, and I absolutely must partake a globetrot dance pilgrimage to learn especially the whole array of Africa & Latin Dances in their original guise.

Then the meaningless things that I'll probably get around doing at some point are things like flying a jet and skydiving and running down a skyscraper in New Zealand and visiting various iconic places on the planet. And perhaps creating a synthetic language of my own. This list has already gotten significantly shorter though. And it would only be appropriate to eventually burn out in a blaze, like a shooting star.

Unuoctium
2015-10-14, 01:59 AM
Not a dream of earth-shattering proportions, but it would be nice to remember my dreams with ease and frequency. Even when I focus on remembering them, I only remember a fragment or a couple "movie clips" mabey 5 days in a month of focus.

Lycunadari
2015-10-14, 09:50 AM
I want to be healthy enough to work, live independently and be able to enjoy my free time. I'd like to be pain free most of the time and not plagued by constant fatigue. I want to not worry about everything all the time.

I want to have a loving partner and some good friends.

So, with the important things out of the way, I also want some cats, some birds and maybe some rats. I want to have a garden full of bee-friendly flowers, some veggies and fruits. A smallish house (can't be too small with all the pets) near a forest, with good public transport to the next town. I'd like to have a job where I can work with/research plants or birds.
I want to get better at painting/drawing and writing, and for people to actually enjoy my art/stories - I don't want to be a professional artist/writer, but at least some "audience" that isn't just family would be nice. I want to pick up playing piano and violin again. I also want to travel to New Zealand again so I can finally see a kiwi bird. Other travel dreams are Ireland, Finland, different tropical rainforests and the Himalayas. Oh, and I want to transition and be seen as the gender I am.

Yeah, mostly quite moderate dreams, but without the first coming true, also not easy (if not impossible) for me to achieve.

SalmaHayek
2015-10-14, 11:26 PM
Travel to those 200+ places I have on my list.
Write that book I've been making in my head since I was 15
Finish up that TTRPG and figure out the details to get it to play like I want it to.
To do something amazing, not sure what exactly, but something that people remember after I've died.

Same as me. I want to trail to different country.

BananaPhone
2015-10-16, 09:03 AM
I have a new goal.

I want to build my own Gigahorse (http://i.imgur.com/4TNxOIX.jpg)and drive it around.

Barathos
2015-10-22, 02:00 PM
A car. A black car. A normal, black car. On its bumper, in big, yellow letters:

The Batmobile.

Insane Trystane
2015-10-29, 11:33 AM
Oh man. There's so much I'd love to do. If I could pick a thing that I could do without failing and without monetary concerns, I'd be a Music Theory professor at my alma mater. A close second is getting a PhD in Linguistics and teaching somewhere. But neither of those options are worth the excess in loans right now.

Oh, also I'd like to be in a good relationship, but that'll have to wait til I'm stationed somewhere with the Air Force, there's just too much uncertainty right now.

Rallicus
2015-11-08, 06:27 AM
To be happy.

It's been eluding me for about 15 years now, maybe one day...

shawnhcorey
2015-11-08, 07:26 AM
To be happy.

It's been eluding me for about 15 years now, maybe one day...

"The secret to happiness is low expectations."
Barry Schwartz

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-08, 09:24 AM
My current biggest dream is to have dreams again; the window for that happening is shrinking rapidly, though.

I dream of seeing live woolly mammoths living in the wild, Shasta ground sloths, and whatever else might possibly be re-engineered. Don't know if that counts.

Jak
2015-11-17, 02:33 PM
Make a video game. A good one. One that holds a portion of my heart and soul in it, and that calls at least one other to be a hero.

That'd be really cool.

Lt Gravemind
2015-11-17, 07:35 PM
To spend my life making stories that people love as much as the stories I love.

8BitNinja
2015-11-30, 08:16 PM
If you are talking about the dreams I have in my sleep, they are the most epic of tales, with amazing landscapes, huge battles, and... Really, really weird stuff

Dacia Brabant
2015-12-02, 12:36 AM
Buy a sailboat big enough to live on but small enough to sail myself, sail up and down the west coast with the seasons, and write until mortality catches up with me, again.

The Fury
2015-12-02, 05:54 PM
I'd like to own a small house made of brick with gothic architecture and a big ol' bay window in front. It'd be awesome.

Sure, it would be really expensive but luckily I got rich from that animated show I created that had such a successful run and meant so much to so many loyal fans.

Hey, no one ever said dreams should be realistic.