PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Giving level 1 wizards a free staff or wand- Is this a good idea?

The Vagabond
2015-09-20, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking of granting low-leveled wizards a modified staff of the apprentice (Mix around the spells to be more school apropriate)- Is this a bad idea?

Alternatively, could I give them a wand of something instead?

Studoku
2015-09-20, 12:20 PM
Why do you think it'll help?

I can't see any major balance issues but I doubt anyone playing mundanes would be happy with you giving several times their WBL to the casters (who already get nicer things) for free.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-09-20, 12:23 PM
I would recommend a wand of something the whole party can enjoy, so no one feels shafted.

Aleolus
2015-09-20, 12:28 PM
I would agree, wand. In addition, if you're giving the wizard something like this at level one, I would strongly suggest giving the other characters something equivilent.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-09-20, 12:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the "Staff of the Apprentice," so I can't comment on that specifically, but a wand of, oh, magic missile wouldn't be a terrible idea. After all, it gives casters a more magic-y alternative to plinking away with a crossbow at the levels where they don't have enough spells to cast regularly. It might be better to give infinite cantrips or a free Reserve feat in stead, to avoid the "why do some classes get to start with an expensive magic item" issue. (Reserve Feats are from Complete Mage; you'd want to let them pick as though they had a second level spell available, though*). Just make sure you do the same for sorcerers.

*If it's a player who's concerned, he can grab Precocious Apprentice and a Reserve feat by playing as a human or taking a flaw, and be totally within the rules.

Jormengand
2015-09-20, 12:34 PM
If you're worried about wizards running out of spells early on, you could always change their spells/day at level 1-3 from 3/1/-, 4/2/-, 4/2/1 to 4/2/-, 4/3/-, 4/3/1. Of course, you could also reduce their spells later to stop them overshadowing, like, everyone else later in the game.

Honest Tiefling
2015-09-20, 12:34 PM
I would recommend a wand of something the whole party can enjoy, so no one feels shafted.

I recommend this...So they always have something to do that doesn't outshine the party. On the flipside, I'd still give mundanes something, even if it is just 100 extra gold to buy only weapons/armor. Getting better armor earlier is nice, but probably not game breaking. Getting extra or spare weapons is also good. Maybe not equivalent, because casters tend to be weaker at level 1, but still something nice.