PDA

View Full Version : help me "win" red hand of doom

lisiecki
2007-05-15, 04:17 PM
Im starting a game of D and D at the local hobby store as the stores attempt to get some more people interested in the D&D stock.
It looks like the DM is starting us at level one, in what im pretty sure is the red hand of doom adventure.
After ending a year long fairly serious game, im looking to blow off some steam in an over the top way

can any one suggest a character, using only the PHB 3.5 that will help me kick the most amount of booty, and look the best doing it?

No stats yet there going to be rolled at the game

Evil is nice

thanks

Pete

Dhavaer
2007-05-15, 04:19 PM
Red Hand of Doom starts at level 5 or 6, not 1. And a Ranger with Favoured Enemy: Humanoid (Goblinoid) will do very, very well. Pick up Dragon and Outsider (Evil) as well if you get the chance.

lisiecki
2007-05-15, 04:23 PM
well then he may be changing some things,
but the stroy so far has started during a orc/goblin/gnoll attack on a temple of St Cuthbert, all having red hand prints on there amour.
at the end of the attack the cleric gave every one 1000GP

so it sounds very much like TRHOD is either being set up, or being run with some changes

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-15, 04:34 PM
Go wizard?

Or Druid.

Or Cleric.

They all dominate core.

But if the game is only level 1 to 5 or so you might want to go fighter or barbarian

lisiecki
2007-05-15, 04:39 PM
Right now i'm looking at a NE Dwarf Cleric of Hexxor

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-16, 08:59 AM
Right now i'm looking at a NE Dwarf Cleric of Hexxor

Interesting...why would he care about what happened to followers of St. Cuthbert, though? Curious, really- I can think of a couple ok reasons off the top of my head.

lisiecki
2007-05-16, 08:18 PM
Interesting...why would he care about what happened to followers of St. Cuthbert, though? Curious, really- I can think of a couple ok reasons off the top of my head.

Well he is a dwarf, and there is the 1000 gold that was given out
for the moment i'm willing to play him as "This other cleric gave me gold, i may as well stick around to see if there MORE gold, because then ill have... More gold, more gold gets me better weapons and armour, and then i can spread the word of the one true god"

what were you thinking?

PlatinumJester
2007-05-18, 11:46 AM
A Favoured Soul is good since you don't have to prepare spells ahead of time plus full saves.
Dwarven Barbarians are also pretty decent especially if you get instant rage feat.
If you player a melee class get Exotic Weapon proficiency Fullblade - 2d8, crit 19 - 20, 23lb, two handed, 100gp.
Plus be CN that way you are free to do whatever you want.

The White Knight
2007-05-19, 09:03 AM
If you player a melee class get Exotic Weapon proficiency Fullblade - 2d8, crit 19 - 20, 23lb, two handed, 100gp.

Actually, don't bother, if you're looking to optimize. An average of an extra 2 points of damage over that of a greatsword (unless the fullblade has a higher crit. multiplier that I've forgotten) at the expense of a feat and an illogical amount of weight for a weapon is most certainly not worth it. That feat would be better spent elsewhere. Weapon Specialization, for example, gives you +2 damage ALWAYS (not just on average), and I'm even skeptical of taking it most of the time.