PDA

View Full Version : Moving while hiding... does it really work?

Max Caysey
2015-09-20, 07:12 PM
So we have begun a new campaign, where I play a rogue, and so, am trying to get my head around all the details about hiding, since I play a cat burglar.

In that regard, I have a couple of questions, that I hope this forum will help me answer.

1. It says that: "You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty." Is it correct, that I can walk into an open well lit area, and still remain hidden? (meaning enemies still have to succeed a spot check to see me). The reason fo me asking is because of what it says in the Rules Compendium:

"Move between Cover: If you’re already hiding thanks to cover or concealment, and you have at least 5 ranks in Hide, you can make a Hide check (with a penalty) to try to move across an area that doesn’t offer cover or concealment without revealing yourself. For every 5 ranks in Hide you possess, you can move up to 5 feet between one hiding place and another. For every 5 feet of open space you must cross between hiding places, you take a –5 penalty on your Hide check. Movement speed penalizes the check as normal."

And this:

"Sneak up from Hiding: You can sneak up on someone after emerging from a hiding place. For every 5 feet of open space between you and the target, you take a –5 penalty on your Hide check. If your Hide check succeeds, your target doesn’t notice you until you attack or perform some other attention-grabbing action. Such a target is treated as being flat-footed with respect to you." (Personally I though that the skill was meant for just this, and therefore fail to see why this gets mentioned)

I had always imagined, that you had to initiate the hiding behind some sort of cover, and then could feel free to leave that cover and still remain unseen... why else put in the movement speed clause? It was not the case, as it would seem in the RC, then I would assume the HIde skill not to say you can remain hidden by moving slowly, but if you move out of cover, you become visible. When I read the Rules Compendium I got confused. Therefore I hope that someone here, can explain how the skill works.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-20, 07:24 PM
You've misunderstood. The phrase "without penalty" in the context you've highlighted means that you're not taking the -5 penalty for moving faster than half your speed or the massive -20 for running. You still need concealment or cover unless you're using the move between cover option.

Curmudgeon
2015-09-20, 07:48 PM
The hardest thing to grasp is that in D&D, you can't Hide by being still; you've got to move or attack to be allowed to Hide. :smallconfused:

Max Caysey
2015-09-20, 07:59 PM
The problem I see, is, that if cover is needed, a spot is not... so you automatically win. In the excample from CA, Liddy has to pas a 5 foot wide door. To me it seems weird, that she just cant walk passed while hiding, without turning to the move between cover. What I mean is, that the orcs' spot represent not only the keeness of their eyes, but also if they were looking that way at that time... and that could be said for any distance... A wizard who is sitting and studies his books, who does not hear the rogue, and who does not have his wards or protections spells on... it would not even make sence to make a spot check, because he would not be looking behind him or even up from his books...

Again in the example from CA... if the door was 10 feet wide, she would by the rules become visible, but that is prematurely assuming someone is constantly looking at the door, without even blinking... And when does she become visible... after she has walked 5 ft or the very instant she leaves the full cover behind the wall? The hide vs spot here, would perfectly represent the chance they were looking at the right moment when she crossed the doorframe... without having to resort to any restrictive rule.

My point is this... Someone who made the rules are assuming some sort of radar vision... which is preposterous. Or am I totally misunderstanding something...

Kelb_Panthera
2015-09-20, 08:26 PM
There are degrees of cover and concealment. With a few exceptions total concealment and total cover do obviate the need to make a hide check. You roll hide when you have less than total cover or concealment such as the area of a darkness spell or behind a sparse bush or when you're peaking around a corner, etc.

SangoProduction
2015-09-20, 08:46 PM
Take this situation: "You try to peek around the corner, so you aren't seen." That would entitle a hide vs spot check, because you aren't entirely behind cover, but you are mostly behind cover. (And I can most definitely see someone peeking around a corner, so long as I was looking vaguely in the area at the moment, with the chance being represented by the spot check.)

Similarly, trying to walk between cover is to take your self out of cover, and move to a new position. The further away the new position is, the more of a chance that they end up looking your way before you are in position. Hide would represent your sense of timing and what not to make it so they aren't looking your way when you move.

BowStreetRunner
2015-09-21, 12:24 AM
Take this situation: "You try to peek around the corner, so you aren't seen." That would entitle a hide vs spot check, because you aren't entirely behind cover, but you are mostly behind cover. (And I can most definitely see someone peeking around a corner, so long as I was looking vaguely in the area at the moment, with the chance being represented by the spot check.)

Similarly, trying to walk between cover is to take your self out of cover, and move to a new position. The further away the new position is, the more of a chance that they end up looking your way before you are in position. Hide would represent your sense of timing and what not to make it so they aren't looking your way when you move.

Generally speaking if you can see then you can be seen. In order to time your move when they are not looking, you need to be looking at them. That's one way a spot check can notice you. However, even if you are 100% behind cover and not peeking out there may still be a way to spot you. Someone could spot your shadow or your reflection even if there is not way to see you directly.

My advice in these situations is not to give yourself too much of a headache trying to equate the rules mechanic with a real world situation. Just learn to master the rules you want to use and accept that sometimes it will be difficult to create a mental image of exactly what is going on.