PDA

View Full Version : Polearm Master and Shillelagh

CerealKiller
2015-09-20, 09:28 PM
I was wondering if the extra polearm attack with the butt of the weapon would stack with Shillelagh since it would be like attacking with a quaterstaff and it is most likely made out of wood.

FabulousFizban
2015-09-20, 09:33 PM
yes. ten characters

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-09-21, 06:18 AM
So you mean: you're using a non-quarterstaff polearm, and get an extra attack with the but of the weapon. Does this attack become stronger if you're under influence of the spell shillelagh?

Strictly going by the rules I'd say not, you're not using a club or quarterstaff. Going by "but it's a wooden stick": no, it's probably not. Many polearms had a metal socket or spike on the other end, because the user might want to hit someone with it, or stick it in the ground when setting against a charge.

That being said: never let nitpicking get in the way of having fun. Simply declare your polearm does not have a metal bit on the end and was formed and oiled to the finest quarterstaff standards because you wanted to be able to use it like this. You're trading a spell slot for extra damage on a secondary attack. I don't think most DM's would be too angry about that. Maybe if you're already playing one of the most optimized characters they'll lower the normal damage of that end one stage, but honestly I think the situation is a pretty fair trade-off to begin with.

LibraryOgre
2015-09-21, 12:38 PM
The Mod Wonder: Thread closed because I have no idea what edition to move it to. Please reopen in the appropriate edition forum.